Ryzen 1800x and Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz

Go to solution Solved by cj09beira,
2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Any recommendations in that area?  Like I said, it's been a long time since I've fiddled with memory timings and such.  I could probably work it out eventually, I was just hoping to take a shortcut. :D

there are some good tips in this video 

Okay, I could use some assistance here if anyone would be so kind.

I bought a Ryzen 1800x and a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 and a kit of 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz RAM.

I happen to work at a computer store, and I've also had the opportunity to test the exact same RAM on a customer's Asus Crosshair VI Hero, also with an 1800x (we're building it for him).

Now, neither system will POST when the RAM is pushed to 2933, but I was about to get the Asus system to POST at 2666.  My Gigabyte system, however, will not POST above 2133.  It tries, then it just resets the timings and reboots at 2133 again.  I even tried flashing with the latest beta BIOS (F3b), but no change.  I do realize this is all new technology, and it may well be sorted in future BIOS updates, but I thought I'd take a crack at manually adjusting the settings.  I've messed with overclocking before, but it's probably been at least 12 years, probably more.  I typically just let the MoBo set the timings and leave it alone.  That said, I'd appreciate some assistance in determining the correct settings I should shoot for to get this running at least 2400, preferably 2666.

12 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Okay, I could use some assistance here if anyone would be so kind.

I bought a Ryzen 1800x and a Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7 and a kit of 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz RAM.

I happen to work at a computer store, and I've also had the opportunity to test the exact same RAM on a customer's Asus Crosshair VI Hero, also with an 1800x (we're building it for him).

Now, neither system will POST when the RAM is pushed to 2933, but I was about to get the Asus system to POST at 2666.  My Gigabyte system, however, will not POST above 2133.  It tries, then it just resets the timings and reboots at 2133 again.  I even tried flashing with the latest beta BIOS (F3b), but no change.  I do realize this is all new technology, and it may well be sorted in future BIOS updates, but I thought I'd take a crack at manually adjusting the settings.  I've messed with overclocking before, but it's probably been at least 12 years, probably more.  I typically just let the MoBo set the timings and leave it alone.  That said, I'd appreciate some assistance in determining the correct settings I should shoot for to get this running at least 2400, preferably 2666.

the best you can do really is try using really loose timings to get it to boot and then tight them step by step until it stops working,

13 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the best you can do really is try using really loose timings to get it to boot and then tight them step by step until it stops working,

Any recommendations in that area?  Like I said, it's been a long time since I've fiddled with memory timings and such.  I could probably work it out eventually, I was just hoping to take a shortcut. :D

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

there are some good tips in this video 

Just wanted to add that I've got my RAM running consistently at 2666, 15-15-15-15-36.  I tried using the XMP profile for 2933, and initially it seemed to work.  Unfortunately, after reboot it gave me an error beep and reset the timings again.  In any case, I'm happy enough with 2666.

My problem was that I set the clock speed, but was trying to get the BIOS to automatically set the timings.  I hadn't considered manually setting the timings, as well (much less setting the voltage manually).  Thanks again for your help.

Really now? XMP profile worked for me, mine runs on 2933mhz just fine, but it's an Asus motherboard.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Really now? XMP profile worked for me, mine runs on 2933 just fine, but it's an Asus motherboard.

I'm assuming at this point that a future BIOS update will likely fix it.  In any case, it'll be at least another week before I swap it out as my primary system, as I'm still waiting for my bracket from Corsair for the H115i (last time I checked they were saying the 31st was the new ship date).  Such is life on the bleeding edge.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I'm assuming at this point that a future BIOS update will likely fix it.  In any case, it'll be at least another week before I swap it out as my primary system, as I'm still waiting for my bracket from Corsair for the H115i (last time I checked they were saying the 31st was the new ship date).  Such is life on the bleeding edge.

True enough, my brother and I bought my 1800x on pre-sales which had a discount that made it 1700x price, the motherboard on the other hand took a bit more than a week to arrive after the CPU was already here, by the time Asus already had a newer bios available on their website and we did it, no issues and very stable so far.

But I still rather use my i7 for personal use.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)