Had a RAID Array, well had...

Yali
Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

Really hope you don't stripe them again in the new system. A cheap SSD will blow anything a stripe of disks can achieve.

Since this isn't a parity array, you won't have to worry about the raid controller trying to rebuild the array and possibly formating your disk(s). You should be pretty safe (and not really a lot of options) to do trial and error with the old board. Just don't touch them once you've powered on the system (unplugging them etc...) If you want to change where they're plugged in to, do it at the motherboard instead of at the disks - or let the disks fully spin down before moving/jarring them.

Problem:

I had 3 HDDs in Raid 0 in my Computer. Now I bought new stuff, so I hooked the HDDs up to that. (New MOBO/RAM/CPU everything...) I'm still waiting for the new PSU, so I can't test it myself, but what's up with that? Is it going to automatically realize that its an array or what?

I have all my work on it, pretty stupid i know, so i can't loose it.

What's the situation and what should i do?

Thanks for all responses!

-Yali out

99 Kid. Yes. A 'Youngster'.

World famous Couchpotatoe.

Just now, Yali said:

Problem:

I had 3 HDDs in Raid 0 in my Computer. Now I bought new stuff, so I hooked the HDDs up to that. (New MOBO/RAM/CPU everything...) I'm still waiting for the new PSU, so I can't test it myself, but what's up with that? Is it going to automatically realize that its an array or what?

What's the situation and what should i do?

Thanks for all responses!

-Yali out

If it is the motherboard's "hardware" raid, you need to keep the array on the original board. If it is windows RAID, there is a chance you could recover the array. Linux raid is ezpz, but I assume you don't have that.

My native language is C++

Depends on what was controlling the Raid. If you set it up on your motherboard you will need to use the old motherboard to recover the data. If you did it through software just make sure you boot the same boot drive as when you had raid

2 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

If it is the motherboard's "hardware" raid, you need to keep the array on the original board. If it is windows RAID, there is a chance you could recover the array. Linux raid is ezpz, but I assume you don't have that.

1 minute ago, crashahotrod said:

Depends on what was controlling the Raid. If you set it up on your motherboard you will need to use the old motherboard to recover the data. If you did it through software just make sure you boot the same boot drive as when you had raid

Yeah I did it through bios, well the Mainboards software. So ok, no problem... Well i don't know which port they were hooked up. does that matter? (don't know if hd1 was connected to sataport 1 or sataport 2 and so on)

Thanks for the super quick answer!

Just now, Yali said:

Yeah I did it through bios, well the Mainboards software. So ok, no problem... Well i don't know which port they were hooked up. does that matter? (don't know if hd1 was connected to sataport 1 or sataport 2 and so on)

Thanks for the super quick answer!

Depends. Try your best to put them in the original ports, if not there was nothing you could do.

My native language is C++

Really hope you don't stripe them again in the new system. A cheap SSD will blow anything a stripe of disks can achieve.

Since this isn't a parity array, you won't have to worry about the raid controller trying to rebuild the array and possibly formating your disk(s). You should be pretty safe (and not really a lot of options) to do trial and error with the old board. Just don't touch them once you've powered on the system (unplugging them etc...) If you want to change where they're plugged in to, do it at the motherboard instead of at the disks - or let the disks fully spin down before moving/jarring them.

25 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

oh perfect. I gonna do it tomorrow. going to let you know how it went!

2 hours ago, Yali said:

I don't even want to talk about that you have your work on a Raid 0 array and no backup.

If you got a new Mobo and the old raid array was on your motherboard it is possible it will most likely cause problems just to hook up the HDDs to your new motherboard. For sure you will have to setup Raid 0 in the bios of your new motherboard and hook the HDDS up in the same order they were on the old motherboard. If that works without problems, well then you are pretty lucky I guess. But if you can, make sure you have a backup of your work BEFORE you try anything with the new hardware. Not having a backup can be very fatal.

(see's he has a RAID 0 array)

ok, so long as he backs up his work

(see's he doesn't back up his work)

before doing something like,  upgrading your storage capisty

back up your work as sometimes a predefined RAID array doesn't like having settings changed and will throw a fit and will wipe your data

it's worse than java, one mistake and it doesn't like it. AT ALL.

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

19 hours ago, CptCarbonat said:

I don't even want to talk about that you have your work on a Raid 0 array and no backup.

If you got a new Mobo and the old raid array was on your motherboard it is possible it will most likely cause problems just to hook up the HDDs to your new motherboard. For sure you will have to setup Raid 0 in the bios of your new motherboard and hook the HDDS up in the same order they were on the old motherboard. If that works without problems, well then you are pretty lucky I guess. But if you can, make sure you have a backup of your work BEFORE you try anything with the new hardware. Not having a backup can be very fatal.

21 hours ago, Mikensan said:

16 hours ago, samiscool51 said:

(see's he has a RAID 0 array)

ok, so long as he backs up his work

(see's he doesn't back up his work)

before doing something like,  upgrading your storage capisty

back up your work as sometimes a predefined RAID array doesn't like having settings changed and will throw a fit and will wipe your data

it's worse than java, one mistake and it doesn't like it. AT ALL.

Ok, so it worked!

I will set up a parity array in the new pc, so all my work is backed up. Thx for the help!

Just avoid bios level raid, no real need for it on a personal desktop. Most I would use a mirroring drives if using bios.