DIY RGB Chair

nicklmg

Thanks to Cablemod of sponsoring this project. Learn more and order some dank-ass RGB LED strips for yourself on Amazon at http://geni.us/PRsR

We decided that we JUST DON'T HAVE ENOUGH RGB IN OUR LIVES. And when you make that decision, there's only one course of action...

If its not a dxracer it doesn't exist on media, what witchcraft is this?

1 minute ago, Doramius said:

I'll be impressed when Linus does the RGB toaster & matching RGB Coffee Maker.

Linus doesn't eat toast. Nor does he drink coffee.

I'll be impressed when we create the RGB badminton racket.

6 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I don't know anybody that eats toast, and I don't drink coffee either.  But modifying a toaster and coffee maker seems to always be epitome of any technical Acme.  They did it with networking, bluetooth, and smarthome setups.  It's not impressive unless it's RGB'd.

Oh, and here's your Badmitton RGB.  B|   OH YEAH!!!

EDIT:  and rackets - cc22821d7048e15876b5171d71191b23.jpg

7 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We need RGB socks and sandals amirite

@nicklmg no epilepsy warning for 6:07 ?

Video sponsored by cablemod

Intro contains sponsor spot for be quiet!

Outro contains sponsor spot for ifixit.

I don't mind ads in the video and i know floatplane exists, but honestly 3 sponsors in 1 imo nothing special video? Come on...

Next time just RGB Linus, maybe for a CSF video.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Video sponsored by cablemod

Intro contains sponsor spot for be quiet!

Outro contains sponsor spot for ifixit.

I don't mind ads in the video and i know floatplane exists, but honestly 3 sponsors in 1 imo nothing special video? Come on...

I'm really not sure how the addition of a general sponsor for this specific video changes anything from a viewing perspective... text on-screen was literally the only impact it had lol.

Or you can just use some Christmas Lights.

34 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I'm really not sure how the addition of a general sponsor for this specific video changes anything from a viewing perspective... text on-screen was literally the only impact it had lol.

I get the intro/outro sponsors, but will cable mod let linus keep all the RGB lights to keep his desk dank as ever? Why else would they sponsor him!

You guys need someone literate in electronics design on staff.  This video is embarrassing.

Controlling each channel with a mosfet?  2 arduinos just to run some LED's?  all of this shenanigans battery powered?  lol

You need a $10 ws2812b string off of ebay.  Each LED is individually addressable and has it's own switch mode driver built in.  That means you could do animations, much less power consumption (probably half), and only 3 wires to connect.  You could run the ws2812's with an ATTiny85 (digispark) instead of a massive arduino uno and then get the same battery life with a 2x18650 power bank. 

Can I suggest you guys buy polypropylene zip ties instead of the generic shitty ones?  They're a lot more supple too so you can get them to do tighter bends and overall they're just a way better experience.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I really enjoyed this, seeing you try with the MOSFETS was fun.  

3 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Clearly, you've set out a new Channel Super Fun: badminton in the dark with RGB rackets.

@nicklmg What adapter are you using to get power from the battery bank to the strips? I have been thinking about doing a RGB back pack build here on the forums, but  I don't know what adapter to use.

59 minutes ago, Inkz said:

@nicklmg What adapter are you using to get power from the battery bank to the strips? I have been thinking about doing a RGB back pack build here on the forums, but  I don't know what adapter to use.

I am very interested in what exact pack they used, @nicklmg 

But, depends on the pack, some may have proprietary connectors for power. However many use a pretty standard 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC jack. On the cablemod controller side, the controller is more or less the same as the controllers you can get for pocket change on ebay, and they all use 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC jacks as well so I am making a guess that they use the same. So it's pretty simple (click for affiliate links to amazon):

12V Output Battery Pack (not your normal cellphone pack) > Male - Male cable with 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Jacks > RGB Controller (From cablemod or other) > RGB strips 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

7 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Thanks to Cablemod of sponsoring this project. Learn more and order some dank-ass RGB LED strips for yourself on Amazon at http://geni.us/PRsR

We decided that we JUST DON'T HAVE ENOUGH RGB IN OUR LIVES. And when you make that decision, there's only one course of action...

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, but could you guys add a Epilepsy Warning, in videos like this one? 

I suffer from photosensitivity, and this video gave me massive headaches.  

Sorry for any trouble.

7 hours ago, nicklmg said:

@nicklmg next time.. we RGB Nicky V
#RGBAllTheThings

1 hour ago, CableMod said:

@nicklmg next time.. we RGB Nicky V
#RGBAllTheThings

people want socks and sandals to be rgb

Why not use ESP WiFi modules for wireless capabilities? Much less power hungry and much cheaper than Arduino. ESP8266 ESP-12F is still the best option unless Bluetooth is necessary, then grab ESP32's. Bonus is that you can utilize a 5V battery bank (USB is 5V), a logic level converter (ESP runs on 3.3V), and a 5V WS2812B LED strip. Total investment less than $50 + cost of battery bank and the LEDs are individually addressable, meaning you can program custom animations. Oh yeah, because wireless is the objective, OTA updates of the firmware is also possible. I know this works because I have a few of these spread around my house.

Holy hell CableMod LED strips are way too expensive for this project. Go get some WS2812B's and prosper.

14 hours ago, Pyr0monk3y said:

You guys need someone literate in electronics design on staff.  This video is embarrassing.

Controlling each channel with a mosfet?  2 arduinos just to run some LED's?  all of this shenanigans battery powered?  lol

You need a $10 ws2812b string off of ebay.  Each LED is individually addressable and has it's own switch mode driver built in.  That means you could do animations, much less power consumption (probably half), and only 3 wires to connect.  You could run the ws2812's with an ATTiny85 (digispark) instead of a massive arduino uno and then get the same battery life with a 2x18650 power bank. 

I hate "decorative" LEDs with a passion, but this was a video meant for fun, and the fun factor is a 10. I could abstract from the particular crime they were trying to commit, and just focus on (a) the idea being absurd, and (b) the hilarious execution. 

I don't think it makes sense to question the efficiency of their method, since the idea is stupid anyway, and the more cumbersome a solution they try, the funnier it gets ;) 

2 hours ago, GoogleGonnaSaveUs said:

What pc case is on 2:59?

Corsair Carbide Spec-0X (not sure whether X=1, 2, or 3)

Seriously.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)