Gigabyte P35X V6

Greetings,

I'm thinking about buying a new laptop, my current one is Lenovo B590 with GT610! Anyway... I was looking around the local stores and came across a great deal for refurbished Acer Predator 17-G9-793-77YP, sadly the guy told me it was 'saved' for some other dude so he offered me another product with the same specs, at around the same price  - Gigabyte P35X V6, with the only difference being the SSD which was 512GB, the Acer one was 256GB, and the Gigabyte's screen is 15.3' 4k instead of 17.3' 1080p. The problem is that the Gigabyte P35X V6 is quite thin and I feel it might have thermal throttling/overheating issues which bothers me since I do play demanding games quite a lot in the weekends. Also a friend of mine told me that 15.3' 4k display is not really good option because it doesn't scale correctly, and changing the resolution to 1080p will make the image blurry mess. So basically to sum it up, is it a good option to buy this laptop for gaming? If anyone is using it or was using it it would be awesome to share their opinion! Also a bit more info on the 15.3' 4k displays/scaling would be good! By the way I might be able to get a great offer on Lenovo Y910 with specs pretty much the same as the Predator !

I'll list the specs here just in case!
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8 GB GDDR5
Intel Core i7 6700HQ 4cores / 8 Threads 2.5Ghz Up to 3.5Ghz

16GB DDR4L 2133MHz (Gigabyte has 16GB DDR4 2400MHz)

256GB M.2 NVMe SSD & 1TB HDD 7200rpm

Your help is greatly appreciated, 
~Anduin

8 minutes ago, Anduin said:

The problem is that the Gigabyte P35X V6 is quite thin and I feel it might have thermal throttling/overheating issues

it does.

8 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Also a friend of mine told me that 15.3' 4k display is not really good option because it doesn't scale correctly, and changing the resolution to 1080p will make the image blurry mess

Sometimes. Your friend is mostly correct. Not a blurry mess, but often suboptimal. 

9 minutes ago, Anduin said:

ss. So basically to sum it up, is it a good option to buy this laptop for gaming?

No.

9 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Also a bit more info on the 15.3' 4k displays/scaling would be good!

Windows scaling has gotten better. I use a 4k screen daily on my Zbook and it's fine for when it works (lets say about 85%) of the time. But some legacy software and programs and even newer ones that haven't been coded correctly don't scale well and you're forced to downsample your screen to 1080p for the duration of the program usage. The more major concern is the massive battery drain increase it adds on top of just regular 1080p. Essentially hit and miss as fuck and you need to have patience to deal with programs you use that don't scale well.

Also you've said nothing about the prices. If you're getting P35X v6 for like 100 bucks, it doesn't fucking matter what issues it has because that's still great value. Essentially what are the prices for the laptops you're considering. What is your budget. What screen size are you looking for?

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

15 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

it does.

Sometimes. Your friend is mostly correct. Not a blurry mess, but often suboptimal. 

No.

Windows scaling has gotten better. I use a 4k screen daily on my Zbook and it's fine for when it works (lets say about 85%) of the time. But some legacy software and programs and even newer ones that haven't been coded correctly don't scale well and you're forced to downsample your screen to 1080p for the duration of the program usage. The more major concern is the massive battery drain increase it adds on top of just regular 1080p. Essentially hit and miss as fuck and you need to have patience to deal with programs you use that don't scale well.

Also you've said nothing about the prices. If you're getting P35X v6 for like 100 bucks, it doesn't fucking matter what issues it has because that's still great value. Essentially what are the prices for the laptops you're considering. What is your budget. What screen size are you looking for?

Thanks for the answer! Well basically both, the acer and the gigabyte are at around 2799 BGN (or around 1550 usd) while the cheapest 1070 notebook here is ~3450 BGN (around 1915 usd) and it's HP Omen 17. Once again the above mentioned ones are refurbished! 

Edit: The budget was 2000-2.500BGN(1100-1400usd) but the prices of those notebookswere so attractive! :D The screen size doesn't really matter I guess 17' would be good for multi tasking which I have to do quite often, but on the other hand 15' will be way easier to travel with... so it doesn't really matter both have their ups and downs I guess! :D

• 1 month later...

I've had the P35 v6 since it came out and I've found it to be an excellent gaming laptop. It was priced well, great performance, it probably has the best storage options out of any current-ish laptop right now with 2 NVME m2 slots and 2 2.5" HD bays, a big battery that gets close to 8 hours of productivity use, and a good amount of I/O, and all in a thin and portable chassis. I used to have a 17" MSI with a GTX970, and after dealing with a laptop that size I was happy to go with a 15" one.