APOLLO (2 CPU LGA1366 Server | InWin PP689 | 24 Disks Capacity) - by alpenwasser [COMPL. 2014-MAY-10]

Looks so awesome =) Nice nice² nice³ !

Hehe, thanks! Your machine ain't too shappy either. :D

Side note: I saw you posted two pics in the build log submission thread,

I think you're only allowed to post one. Wouldn't want an entry as

awesome as yours to be disqualified. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Just going to leave this here...

Also, water does get used in professional servers as well.

and i want to throw in that 'neptune' would have been a better name ;D

My builds:

'Baldur' - Data Server - Build Log

'Hlin' - UTM Gateway Server - Build Log

and i want to throw in that 'neptune' would have been a better name ;D

Valid point. Since I'm sticking to the Greek names, and Poseidon

was already in use for another rig, that wasn't really an option

though. ;)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

9G0912P1G09

Rated Current

1.1 A

13.2 Watt

Rated Rotation Speed

5000 RPM

Maximum Air Volume

109.46 CFM

Maximum Static Pressure

Sound Pressure Level

50 dB

Mass

180 gram

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

9G0912P1G09

Rated Current

1.1 A

13.2 Watt

Rated Rotation Speed

5000 RPM

Maximum Air Volume

109.46 CFM

Maximum Static Pressure

Sound Pressure Level

50 dB

Mass

180 gram

Interesting. Where'd you find it? Also, I've noticed that my fans

only spin up to ~4,500 rpm.

Interesting. Where'd you find it? Also, I've noticed that my fans

only spin up to ~4,500 rpm.

That should be correct information. That was the information from Sanyo Denkei.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

That should be correct information. That was the information from Sanyo Denkei.

Ah, very nice, thanks a lot! :)

I did some digging on their website, even downloaded one of their

pdf catalogues (freaking huge file), but failed to find anythings

specific.

You wouldn't happen to have a source link for future reference

by any chance?

I can try to dig up the email - but I am fairly certain I deleted it.... If not I can always email them again.

Perhaps my eyes are misleading me MG2R but I can see noise dampening foam under the PSU, not directly underneath, but just below the aluminum piece that runs parallel to the case. I don't know alot about noise dampening but isn't the idea of it's use to partition the case into 'regions' as it were to isolate noisy components from other sections of the case? Perhaps that's what he's done by not placing a piece of noise dampening foam directly under the PSU?

Maybe this explains my point better:

8N9m0.jpg

I can try to dig up the email - but I am fairly certain I deleted it.... If not I can always email them again.

Ah, email? It's OK, that's good enough for me. I appreciate

the info, thanks a lot! :)

Is that a .50 cal round in the background? Sure looks like it, if it is I hope it isn't live Mr -aw-. Anyway.

Lol, 20 mm actually. But it's empty. A buddy and I did an internship

at the Oerlikon (subsidiary of Rheinmetall Air Defense, they guys who

make 35 mm AA guns, among other stuff) a while back, and he gave me

that as a birthday gift since he knows I'm kind of into guns and

military tech in general.

(Uhm, yes my dad knows a guy... :D )

Those pictures really blew my mind, that is some really professional looking work right there. I'm always impressed over your projects but this one really made me excited, it looks like such a powerhouse of a machine. No subtlety at all, which suits your project and use purposes to a T. Well done chap, very much well done!

Haha, thanks a lot for the compliments, they are, as always, much

appreciated. :)

And yes, I'm very happy with the rig, it might not be the prettiest

thing ever, but it gets the job done, and gets it done well (at least

so far).

Kind of makes me what something like that for myself, but I have enough trouble trying to fill a 150GB drive on my home PC, much less attempting to fill a server of this magnitude.

I'm kind of a data collector... :D

Just noticed this: why isn't there any sound dampening on the ridge below your PSU?

The sound dampening is actually not just on the ridge on the front

part, but I put foam into the entire PSU compartment in the part

where the PSU doesn't reach (can't do the entire compartment, the

PSU wouldn't fit anymore, it's very tight).

So that front ridge is basically just the remainder of the foam

which fills out the compartment.

Also, what's the status on that noise video?

Need my dad to help me lug around the machine, he's not avail at

the moment. I want to have it in the same position as when I made

the first part, so that it is at least somewhat comparible.

Perhaps my eyes are misleading me MG2R but I can see noise dampening foam under the PSU, not directly underneath, but just below the aluminum piece that runs parallel to the case. I don't know alot about noise dampening but isn't the idea of it's use to partition the case into 'regions' as it were to isolate noisy components from other sections of the case? Perhaps that's what he's done by not placing a piece of noise dampening foam directly under the PSU?

Yes, as said, can't place foam directly under the PSU as it's too tight.

Would have done so if I could, if only for aesthetic reasons. ;)

But yes, there is indeed foam on the underside of that panel.

The sound dampening is actually not just on the ridge on the front

part, but I put foam into the entire PSU compartment in the part

where the PSU doesn't reach (can't do the entire compartment, the

PSU wouldn't fit anymore, it's very tight).

So that front ridge is basically just the remainder of the foam

which fills out the compartment.

You could've folded the foam at the underside of the segmentation over the ridge, instead of folding the foam at the upper side over only half the ridge, just to make it aesthetically more pleasing ;)

You could've folded the foam at the underside of the segmentation over the ridge, instead of folding the foam at the upper side over only half the ridge, just to make it aesthetically more pleasing ;)

The foam on the lower side is much thicker (12 mm) than the top one

(4 mm), can't really be folded over such a tight corner.

EDIT:

And yes, it makes sense to use the thick foam below and the thin one

on top. ;)

All I can read are reasons for not getting BOTM ;):D

functionality > form :P

Besides, winning BOTM is unrealistic anyway with something like

this IMHO, but hey, it's worth a shot. :)

• 3 weeks later...

ServerGasm! Ahh that is one beautiful server :wub:  The effort you put in your builds is unbelievable! That cable management.. :))) Servers are so awesome, i would like to build a big server like that but the problem is that i have no use for that big server... My RasPi is just enough for my needs BUT, BUT the feeling having a big powerful awesome server at your home.. :)

Only thing i am scared with that is the noise :D As I am also one of those who like silent systems...

Also, sorry if you said it somewhere (read this build in a bit hurry...) but where do you need all this space and speed? 

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

ServerGasm! Ahh that is one beautiful server :wub:  The effort you put in your builds is unbelievable! That cable management.. :))) Servers are so awesome, i would like to build a big server like that but the problem is that i have no use for that big server... My RasPi is just enough for my needs BUT, BUT the feeling having a big powerful awesome server at your home.. :)

Thanks, much appreciated! :)

Yes indeed, servers are awesome, and I'm very happy with how this has

turned out. But they're also rather costly, especially once you start

adding in tons of storage.

Only thing i am scared with that is the noise :D As I am also one of those who like silent systems...

You could make a pretty quiet system if you really wanted to, but

since this build is in its own room it doesn't need to be super

quiet.

Also, sorry if you said it somewhere (read this build in a bit hurry...) but where do you need all this space and speed?

Pictures and media files make up the most part, then there's also

my personal data and my dad's business data. Aside from that, I use

it to run some virtual machines (both for production and just playing

around a bit).

• 6 months later...

@alpenwasser you have a skill for making fantastic builds :D

Thanks, I aim to please  :D

(although on this one I had significant help from my neighbour)

Since I'm here btw., I've made a pdf of this build log. I needed to practice some LaTeX, and this was a good

opportunity to use it:

http://alpenwasser.net/repository/files/apollo.pdf

And you always seem to succeed :)

*must not blush* *must not blush *must not blush*

blushing.png

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I aim to please  :D

(although on this one I had significant help from my neighbour)

Since I'm here btw., I've made a pdf of this build log. I needed to practice some LaTeX, and this was a good

opportunity to use it:

http://alpenwasser.net/repository/files/apollo.pdf

Props for using LaTeX.

Speaking of Apollo, I'm actually working with a system called Apollo right now! It's a continuous deployment infrastructure which is really cool -- every part is distributed and/or clustered.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I'm rarely online at the moment due to bad health.

You missed a spot for a fan on the bottom, LMAO!

Well, can't have everything. Maybe for a future upgrade. :D 

Props for using LaTeX.

Thanks, I needed some practice, and this was a good opportunity. I do rather like it (definitely more than MS Word and similar programs), although I must admit it can have its infuriating idiosyncrasies as well.

Speaking of Apollo, I'm actually working with a system called Apollo right now! It's a continuous deployment infrastructure which is really cool -- every part is distributed and/or clustered.

Hehe, awesome. I suppose it's not that rare of a name, yes.