Best completely free type 1 hypervisor and manager?

On 10. 7. 2017 at 4:54 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

-snip-

Alright, after a long while I booted the server up again to test if everything is working and to update everything.

Seems fine for now, but there is still an issue with mounting the network attatched storage both to Linux clients on the server and my Windows PC.

The Windows PC problem seems to be an authentication problem. When I configure the network drive and connect as the "storage" user with the proper password, everything works fine, no problems. But when I restart, I have to authenticate again due to some error during authentication. Nothing changes, just that I have to put the password in again and it works fine. I might have missed something in Samba, any ideas?

Second, when I followed this guide: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

The part "Mount password protected network folders"

I need to run the command "mount -a" every time I boot. How would I go about making that automatic? I am using that for my Turnkey mediaserver with Emby. Which otherwise works fine.

Third problem I have is that my brother wants me to make a Metasploitable2 VM to run on the server. I downloaded the VM, which contained the .vmdk file and a few other vm files. Now here is the problem. I don't know where to put it. I went to the proxmox web UI, created a VM on the newest Linux kernel, with 1 GB RAM, a 30 GB harddrive, nothing special. But I don't know where it is located. I followed your video guide when I was setting the server up and my VMs are on this path "/main/vm/" which is on the mirrored ZFS configuration. I can see there are my container's harddrives and I can access them no problem, but I cannot see the Windows XP VM that I installed for testing.

When I went to the path specified here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/how-to-upload-vmdk-file-to-proxmox-in-gui.21070/

I found an empty folder. Even when typing "ls -al" it's empty. No sign of the KVM files.

I searched everywhere I know of and have no idea where to go now.