Intel Optane cache ssd

Sleeper PC 2016

I watched the latest linustechtips video on the intel optane ssd and for 50 bucks i can afford it BUT it only supports kabylake cpus and 200 series chipsets. I got a skylake cpu with a z170 series motherboard. If i bought this, what will the performance be or is it just not going to work??? im also going to ask intel on this

it's not a SSD, it's a cache drive that works only on

• KabyLake CPUs
  • Intel 200 series mobos

you cannot install anything on this drive, it's only visible to the Intel internal system

It won't work; it probably wont even be recognized and certainly not usable. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

This was the big, new feature introduced with Kaby Lake. It is extremely unlikely to work at all with earlier platforms.

42 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's not a SSD, it's a cache drive that works only on

• KabyLake CPUs
  • Intel 200 series mobos

you cannot install anything on this drive, it's only visible to the Intel internal system

yeah i just watched the video out the corner of my eye, am i right in thinking then that you just put this drive in, and the software just does it all for you, basically install and forget ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

5 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

yeah i just watched the video out the corner of my eye, am i right in thinking then that you just put this drive in, and the software just does it all for you, basically install and forget ?

the PCH needs to be set in RAID mode prior to installing

problem is, if it was set in AHCI mode when Windows was initially installed and then switched to RAID, Windows won't boot

• 5 weeks later...

I had a somewhat relevant question of whether I would be able to use an Intel Optane Cache to store certain files permanently e.g. a small game.

I tweeted Intel Guy James Myers and he replied saying:

[I think you might have to click on the link to get the full context of the q&a]

Also; in the PDF that he links in another reply it states that 

Intel® Optane™ memory is designed to provide functionality for the following Intel® PCH Storage Controllers:

So perhaps using a 100 series chipset will still allow for basic use of the drive (without the functionality of the cache) as it may be suggesting above.

So I believe that it should work for you; but not necessarily in the cache usage as intel intended.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

I've also just noticed that on Intel's frequently asked questions page they seem to have contradicting statements about the use of it with incompatible hardware/software as just a data drive (see screenshots)

I think they might just be saying that although it will work, Intel does not support using it as just a storage drive(?)

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.18.31 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.22.29 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 10.22.36 am.png