Is the i5 still enough for gaming nowadays? (1080p)

Hi all,

I've been quietly observing CPU performance from the sideline, and I'm interested in what Ryzen R5 is gonna bring us, but in the meanwhile I kinda noticed something.

I'm currently running an Athlon 860k, which is rather slow but gets the job done. I was always like "Ah when the time comes I'll just get an i5 and be done with it".

Except, I noticed the i5-6600k/7600k don't seem to hold up that well anymore.

Does it just look like that, or is the i5 not enough anymore?

I hear a lot of people struggling in holding solid fps in games like Bf1 and GTA V, the CPU being stressed while the GPU isn't doing all that much, typical bottleneck scenario.

Watching youtube videos of people playing modern games on them, and it's 100% CPU and 70% GPU a lot of the time.

Is this simply because they are running the game on fairly high settings with their 1060/RX480/whatever GPU or does the i5 not keep up anymore?

Docking out the money for an i7.. no, not gonna do that. Probably get that 6-core Ryzen R5 if it doesn't suck.

for 1080p a I5 is still good, for 1440p its starting to get iffy and 4K is not going to be plecent

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You should by all means avoid getting on the unlocked i5 trap, threads are the future, BF1 and many of the most newest games have been relying much better on multi-threaded, in fact the whole purpose of DX12 and Vulkan is to increase even further multi-threading on games, therefore if you want a budget decent solution a locked i5 7500 is still okay but if you want higher end by all means do not buy the 6600k/7600k it is bad value for your money, either go with the locked i7 7700 for the same price (cheaper mobo/cooling) which will give you superior performance everywhere nowadays thanks to the hyper-threading and solid clocks or go with the i7 7700k if you do want to overclock.

The 1600x will not be the best gaming solution but its 6c/12t will still be a lot useful on multi-tasking and multi-threaded applications regardless while by all means enough for decent gaming.

Moral of the story favour threads over high core clocks nowadays if you can, the i3 and i5 Intel line ups are a bit pointless right now since g4560 is the best pure budget CPU, the 1600x the best middle term solution and i7's R7's for high end.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1080p, Yes

1440p, Probably-ish

4k, Uhhhh..... maybe not

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

for 1080p a I5 is still good, for 1440p its starting to get iffy and 4K is not going to be plecent

Even though games get less cpu intensive the higher the resolution? 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

it's actually the other way around.

The higher the resolution the more GPU intensive it becomes and this gives the CPU more room to breathe. Lots of benchmarks show that the higher you go in resolution, the less difference the CPU makes (see bitwit 2600k vs 6700k youtube video)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

The i5s are still good gaming cpus but if you're using something like a gtx 1070 or better i'd get an i7 instead, it is starting to struggle in games at 1080p 144hz and you get less fps drops/stuttering on i7s.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

They never did especially well compared to unlocked Core i7s anyways. If you only play games at 1080p most i5s should still be decent though.

6 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

They never did especially well compared to unlocked Core i7s anyways. If you only play games at 1080p most i5s should still be decent though.

Assassins Creed Unity managed to have my i7 bottleneck my Titan on the areas with too much NPC, sure ubishit is not well optimized but damn see the fps drop even if just a bit because of the amount of stuff the CPU had to handle on that game was "impressive".

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You should by all means avoid getting on the unlocked i5 trap

Thats right, he should get an i7 instead.

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

the 1600x the best middle term

I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I also really wanted the Ryzen CPUs to be good enough to break Intels monopoly on the gaming market, the sad reality is that I couldn't ever bring myself to buy a CPU with the same ipc-values and lower oc potential than freakin Sandy-Bridge in 2017. No matter how low the price would be. I think people who are all to hyped up about Ryzen 5 aren't doing themselfs a massive favour, because its just not going to be as great as expected...

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Assassins Creed Unity managed to have my i7 bottleneck my Titan on the areas with too much NPC, sure ubishit is not well optimized but damn see the fps drop even if just a bit because of the amount of stuff the CPU had to handle on that game was "impressive".

Asscreed Unity is a shit game nobody should be playing or at the very least nobody should be using as a frame of reference.

BF1 is the only game that truly takes very noticeable advantage of an i7 and beyond. It helps some other games at 1080p high refresh gaming.

But future proofing? That's just not a good argument nobody knows when are more multithreaded games going to become the norm. You keep just encouraging people to spend more money than they have to and then constantly move the goal posts: Oh wait for DX12...no not the first DX12 games wait some more....no probably not those either keep waiting and waiting and waiting....

No just get an i5 it's perfectly fine for 1080p 60 FPS and higher resolutions that bottleneck the GPU. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Lot's of ill advice here.

The lower the resolution the more impact the CPU has on frame rates and frame times. As we up the resolution more stress is going to be placed on the GPU. These is a generic observation and one aimed more at higher end rigs.

I'm not saying a 7600k clocked at 5ghz is going to bottleneck a 1050ti at 1080P

Think more 1070/1080.

i5's are still fine for a budget gaming build. However I always advise where the budget allows - aka not skimping on SSD's etc that an i7 should fit into the build. A lot people will do a build with a $150 AIO cooler and a $200 motherboard with a 6600/7600k where you could get a $140 board and an air cooler and build with a 7700k from the off, adding in an AIO cooler later when you have more funds

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

True, but with AC Unity you picked a especially bad optimized example, like you said. I think if the developers got their shit together allready and started optimizing their games a bit better we wouldn't have to buy new hardware every other year...

I have an old i5 running at 4ghz with an old 760 behind it, it powers every battle.net game at max setting minus view distance( I Can max it but things definitely feel better when I dont).

And it handles older games like skyrim or mass effect or cod great too( unless you get heavy into texture mods) .

Only scenario where my i5 takes a real toll is if I spend hours in 7days to die placing explosives just to blow it all up at once, the i5 cant handle that kinda crazy physics but then again idk what cpu could.

If you want to max out games that havnt even came out yet then id try for a better cpu. But as long as you dont go budget gpu like me an i5 is the Suggested cpu for gamers I believe.

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Asscreed Unity is a shit game nobody should be playing or at the very least nobody should be using as a frame of reference.

BF1 is the only game that truly takes very noticeable advantage of an i7 and beyond. It helps some other games at 1080p high refresh gaming.

But future proofing? That's just not a good argument nobody knows when are more multithreaded games going to become the norm. You keep just encouraging people to spend more money than they have to and then constantly move the goal posts: Oh wait for DX12...no not the first DX12 games wait some more....no probably not those either keep waiting and waiting and waiting....

No just get an i5 it's perfectly fine for 1080p 60 FPS and higher resolutions that bottleneck the GPU. 

have a look at the thread in my signature, were definitely moving away from 4 cores rules all, you can add Rise of the Tomb Raider, GTA 5, Watch Dogs 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda to that list. Keep in mind it isn't just about FPS, it's also about frame times:

42HiPN0.png

8 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Thats right, he should get an i7 instead.

I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I also really wanted the Ryzen CPUs to be good enough to break Intels monopoly on the gaming market, the sad reality is that I couldn't ever bring myself to buy a CPU with the same ipc-values and lower oc potential than freakin Sandy-Bridge in 2017. No matter how low the price would be. I think people who are all to hyped up about Ryzen 5 aren't doing themselfs a massive favour, because its just not going to be as great as expected...

I have been saying that Ryzen is and should be compared against X99 platform not the 7700k, however I found an interesting video yesterday where the tester found a way to use a range of ram above 3000mhz (upto 3600mhz) on a Ryzen 1700 and ran some tests against a 7700k at 5ghz, results are interesting:

I'm not saying that Ryzen is the messiah, I would however like to see more testing with high speed ram to see how effective it can be in games that aren't massively CPU threaded

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

spend more money than they have

Except the locked i7 7700 costs the same as overclocking the i5 and it does give better performance on a lot more games than just BF1:

Also DX12 and Vulkan's main purpose Is to increase better multi-threading, when the newer games are made having these APIs more in mind than the DX11 the difference will be even more noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, we're all here to share the experiences we have, sure there will be disagreements here and there but it does not necessarily mean any one's wrongly advising on purpose or anything.

7 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

because its just not going to be as great as expected...

Obviously it won't have the Lake gaming performance, nonetheless it is still great balance between workstation purposes and gaming, but if you want just one or the other a different CPU certainly would be better choice.

Personal Desktop":

I have my Core i5 4460 paired with an RX 470. it can still game at 1080p now (Forza 6 can hit 1080p 60fps at ultra. not the most demanding game, but it's the racing genre that i play the most) however, after 3 - 4 years i might consider upgrading the platform.

26 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

You should by all means avoid getting on the unlocked i5 trap, threads are the future, BF1 and many of the most newest games have been relying much better on multi-threaded, in fact the whole purpose of DX12 and Vulkan is to increase even further multi-threading on games, therefore if you want a budget decent solution a locked i5 7500 is still okay but if you want higher end by all means do not buy the 6600k/7600k it is bad value for your money, either go with the locked i7 7700 for the same price (cheaper mobo/cooling) which will give you superior performance everywhere nowadays thanks to the hyper-threading and solid clocks or go with the i7 7700k if you do want to overclock.

The 1600x will not be the best gaming solution but its 6c/12t will still be a lot useful on multi-tasking and multi-threaded applications regardless while by all means enough for decent gaming.

Moral of the story favour threads over high core clocks nowadays if you can, the i3 and i5 Intel line ups are a bit pointless right now since g4560 is the best pure budget CPU, the 1600x the best middle term solution and i7's R7's for high end.

Right now the best two CPU's I can afford (won't be making heaps of money for a while) are the i5-7600 and the R5-1600X. Pretty much everything I see on this forum is pointing toward the R5 being the absolute best value for gaming down the road because the 7600 lacks threads. And since I record/stream/edit, I'd probably be gimping myself (in theory) even compared to my current 980X in that regard because modern i5's don't have the multi-thread performance that an old X58 rig can pull off.

Choosing which CPU to buy these days is pretty difficult. In light of what you and others are saying, that probably means I'm going AMD this time around if the R5 can deliver. I just don't want to buy a CPU and have buyers remorse. Lol.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

A Core i5 is generally still fine if you're only aiming for 60 FPS at any resolution, and that includes Battlefield 1 in my personal experience. If you plan on trying to maintain 100+ FPS most of the time in new games, and you have a monitor and GPU that can actually manage that, it's probably a good idea to get an i7.

It's also a budget concern. If you can't afford an i7, you probably can't afford the other high-end components that justify having such a CPU.

36 minutes ago, deWaardt said:

Hi all,

I've been quietly observing CPU performance from the sideline, and I'm interested in what Ryzen R5 is gonna bring us, but in the meanwhile I kinda noticed something.

I'm currently running an Athlon 860k, which is rather slow but gets the job done. I was always like "Ah when the time comes I'll just get an i5 and be done with it".

Does it just look like that, or is the i5 not enough anymore?

I hear a lot of people struggling in holding solid fps in games like Bf1 and GTA V, the CPU being stressed while the GPU isn't doing all that much, typical bottleneck scenario.

Watching youtube videos of people playing modern games on them, and it's 100% CPU and 70% GPU a lot of the time.

Is this simply because they are running the game on fairly high settings with their 1060/RX480/whatever GPU or does the i5 not keep up anymore?

Docking out the money for an i7.. no, not gonna do that. Probably get that 6-core Ryzen R5 if it doesn't suck.

i use a xeon 1330 for games, what you talking about an i5 cant run games, i5's are like 200% better than what i got xD 

7 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Choosing which CPU to buy these days is pretty difficult

Its only difficult if you don't want to spend 340$ for a unlocked Core i7. Most people tend to forget that Ryzen is technically worse than Skylake or Kaby Lake in any way. The only thing Ryzen has going for itself right now is its low price... Am I the only one who wouldn't buy the inferior product just because its a bit cheaper?

1 minute ago, Emberstone said:

Choosing which CPU to buy these days is pretty difficult. In light of what you and others are saying, that probably means I'm going AMD this time around if the R5 can deliver.

It mostly certainly is, and Intel is to blame some for that, they have numerous offerings that are pointless, the g4600 g4620, i3 7300 i3 7320 i3 7350k... all these Kaby Lake processors offer little difference in performance for extra costing and they really do no good, all it is more options to mess up with the buyers choice.

The 1600x is a very good pick for the money if you need multi-tasking and multi-threading, and it will still be able to game, I would honestly pick it over the i5 however I still hold to my suggestion that locked i7's are probably the general best picks.

Hopefully we're not far from the day the flagship i7 becomes 6c/12t and when that day comes then we'll know what is the absolute best for the money hehehe

cheers!

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, black0utm1rage said:

Most people tend to forget that Ryzen is technically worse than Skylake or Kaby Lake in any way

Okay now you're pushing a bit too far, go render a 4k video on a 1800x and on a 7700k and see who finished first, we gota remember the Ryzen was born for workstation purpose... but for gaming? then yes a purely gaming rig, even if you want to stream the 7700k (using quicksync) is by all means superior [:

Personal Desktop":