Switch/PS4 thru the PC monitor for multi-tasking

So what I'm trying to do is be able to play my switch/ps4 games while being 100% able to click out and go do other things on my PC if I need to with out switching inputs. Is this possible for relatively cheap with low latency?

I realize id need an HDMI switch for the two inputs so I'm really just looking for a capture card that doesn't require me to capture the input, basically stream it to my PC.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your monitor has multiple inputs can't you just switch between them?

it does, however i would like it to be all on one input, mainly so i can skype my SO and play BotW or Horizon at the same time

Why not just use a HDMI switch with 3 ports? Then all you have to do is press 1 button to switch between inputs

Does you mum know you're here?

4 minutes ago, negithekitty said:

So what I'm trying to do is be able to play my switch/ps4 games while being 100% able to click out and go do other things on my PC if I need to with out switching inputs. Is this possible for relatively cheap with low latency?

I realize id need an HDMI switch for the two inputs so I'm really just looking for a capture card that doesn't require me to capture the input, basically stream it to my PC.

Or just get 1 more monitor / TV. Switch and PS4 on that. Then you can play and click on your PC at the same time. I'm doing it so I can see the game guides as well as playing my Switch at the same time.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Just now, VolkA said:

Or just get 1 more monitor / TV. Switch and PS4 on that. Then you can play and click on your PC at the same time. I'm doing it so I can see the game guides as well as playing my Switch at the same time.

i have thought of that but i do not have the desk space at the moment, plus looking for a long term fix that would let me record as well.

2 minutes ago, negithekitty said:

i have thought of that but i do not have the desk space at the moment, plus looking for a long term fix that would let me record as well.

If that is the case, then you might need to get a HDMI switch that has multiple input and 1 output. Then the output you can put to your capture card. Actually I have no idea how capture card work, So I am assuming that the HDI switch output to your capture card's input and the capture's card output to your monitor ... I think so ...

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

1 minute ago, VolkA said:

If that is the case, then you might need to get a HDMI switch that has multiple input and 1 output. Then the output you can put to your capture card. Actually I have no idea how capture card work, So I am assuming that the HDI switch output to your capture card's input and the capture's card output to your monitor ... I think so ...

A capture card connects to your PC through USB.

But yes, a capture card (+HDMI switch) is what you want.

Most of them are quite expensive though (

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

Another monitor is likely the best option, or one monitor that has picture in picture. A capture card to your PC has way too much latency. This is why capture cards have HDMI passthrough

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Not sure if an HDMI KBM switch would work: it's made to switch screen and keyboard and mouse between different computers but any USB based peripheral should work so anything you're plugging to the PS4 via USB should theoretically work.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Imma be a little picky here... so bare with me.

What I don't want:

• A second monitor
  • Having to change inputs to go back to multitasking

Things i do want/ good ideas I've seen in the discussion that could work

• PIP Monitor (if that's the route i go can someone recommend one that'll still be good for PC gaming as well)
  • The ability to record in the future
  • HDMI Switch so i only have one input to deal with

3 hours ago, negithekitty said:

Imma be a little picky here... so bare with me.

What I don't want:

• A second monitor
  • Having to change inputs to go back to multitasking

Things i do want/ good ideas I've seen in the discussion that could work

• PIP Monitor (if that's the route i go can someone recommend one that'll still be good for PC gaming as well)
  • The ability to record in the future
  • HDMI Switch so i only have one input to deal with

Keep in mind the biggest aspect ratio we have now is 21:9, so if you want to have 16:9 content on it (which is standard for the PS4 and Switch), you will only have a 5:9 aspect ratio for you PC. Also, changing the PIP setting is just as 'inconvenient' as changing the input. LG is one of the very few companies that make PIP monitors, they have it on most their ultrawides and some 4K screens.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/