Binary Search in C, infinite looping?

2FA
Go to solution Solved by reniat,
20 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

You shouldn't declare M inside of a while loop. That may be the issue. 

18 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

int m should be declared outside the loop and at the beginning of the program - c isn't very enjoyable to learn :P 

that's good practice, and they should do that, but that's not causing the infinite loop here.

@DeadEyePsycho consider the case where L = R. M should be equal to both of them, since if they are pointing at the same part, then this is the last element to check. Instead, you've got M = (L-R)/2 = 0/2 = 0. In other words, when this happens your M is going to be incorrect. What might you do to correct this? can you see the issue?

I've been looking at my homework for my class and I can't get my binary search code. When the program is executed, it gets stuck on the binary search even if the array of numbers being search is small such as 10 values.

bool binary_search(int *array, int size, int val, int *comps, int *swaps) {

bool found = false;
	int L = 0;
	int R = size - 1;
	int cnt = 0;

while(L <= R) {

int M = (R - L)/2;
		cnt++;
		if(val == array[M]) {
			break;
		}
		else if(val < array[M]) {

R = M - 1;
		}
		else {

L = M + 1;
		}
	}
    comp(val, array[0], comps);
    return(found);
}

static int comp(int a, int b, int *comps) {
    (*comps)++;

return (a - b);
}

A few parts of the code aren't being used entirely yet but it should still be functional.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

int m should be declared outside the loop and at the beginning of the program - c isn't very enjoyable to learn :P 

15 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I've been looking at my homework for my class and I can't get my binary search code. When the program is executed, it gets stuck on the binary search even if the array of numbers being search is small such as 10 values.

bool found = false;
	int L = 0;
	int R = size - 1;
	int cnt = 0;

while(L <= R) {

int M = (R - L)/2;
		cnt++;
		if(val == array[M]) {
			break;
		}

R = M - 1;
		}
		else {

L = M + 1;
		}
	}
    return(found);
}

(*comps)++;

return (a - b);
}

A few parts of the code aren't being used entirely yet but it should still be functional.

Can you post your test code for this function (main.cpp)? That would help me try to work though it.

4 minutes ago, Pinguinsan said:

Can you post your test code for this function (main.cpp)? That would help me try to work though it.

It's actually just plain C. There is a lot of unrelated code that is uncommented so I don't really want to post all of it.

8 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

6 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

It actually doesn't matter as it will only exist inside the while loop's scope which is what I learned from my professor. In fact, he actually wrote that part himself.

Something I noticed while testing different array sizes. If the size of the array is larger than 22, it the program will hang/go on infinitely.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

20 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

18 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

that's good practice, and they should do that, but that's not causing the infinite loop here.

@DeadEyePsycho consider the case where L = R. M should be equal to both of them, since if they are pointing at the same part, then this is the last element to check. Instead, you've got M = (L-R)/2 = 0/2 = 0. In other words, when this happens your M is going to be incorrect. What might you do to correct this? can you see the issue?

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

3 minutes ago, reniat said:

consider the case where L = R. M should be equal to both of them, since if they are pointing at the same part, then this is the last element to check. Instead, you've got M = (L-R)/2 = 0/2 = 0. In other words, when this happens your M is going to be incorrect.

I considered there might be something with my condition but I never really put thought into it, unfortunately. Thank you so much for pointing it out.

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

I considered there might be something with my condition but I never really put thought into it, unfortunately. Thank you so much for pointing it out.

no problem :) For logic issues like this, setting breakpoints and doing some step-through debugging will make the issue glaringly obvious, since you can go check values on the fly in each loop and determine which variable is causing a conditional or loop to behave differently than you'd expect. If you're not using an IDE where you can set breakpoints, try going through the loop by hand doing everything exactly as the code would do, writing down the values for each variable in each iteration. This is way more time consuming, but it works for homework. In the real world you'll nearly always have a debugger. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

17 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The issue is in the way that you calculate M (you also never change the value of found, but that's irrelevant to your current error). Simple change it to (L + R) / 2 and the infinite loop no longer persists.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

2 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

The issue is in the way that you calculate M (you also never change the value of found, but that's irrelevant to your current error). Simple change it to (L + R) / 2 and the infinite loop no longer persists.

I'm aware of the found not changing. This specific bit of code was originally supposed to change it to true. Technically I'm searching for multiples of 3 up to three times the size of the array. The way I implemented the call to this function in main made it easier to just use a break instead of using a boolean.

• 5 weeks later...
On 28.3.2017 at 2:46 AM, DeadEyePsycho said:

bool found = false;
	int L = 0;
	int R = size - 1;
	int cnt = 0;

while(L <= R) {

int M = (R - L)/2;
		cnt++;
		if(val == array[M]) {
			break;
		}

R = M - 1;
		}
		else {

L = M + 1;
		}
	}
    return(found);
}

(*comps)++;

return (a - b);
}

When you find what your looking for, you never set found to true.

M should be changed to:

int M = (L + R) / 2;

Next, your last else should really be:

else if (val > array[M])

Edited by Ximalas
Significant typo in my sample code. Also, forgot to mention how to compute M.

On 28.3.2017 at 3:00 AM, bgibbz said:

Yes and no, but mostly no. The variable M is declared at the beginning of a new block. C has allowed this for a long time. C++ allows variables to be declared when needed, and in fact encourages this style. The variable M is only needed within the scope of the while loop.

4 minutes ago, Ximalas said:

When you find what your looking for, you never set found to true.

Next, your last else should really be:

else if (val > array[m])

Hum, how do I specify what language the syntax highlighting should use?

This was a month ago and that wasn't even the issue as was pointed out. For the context of the homework, it didn't matter whether or not the value was specifically found, it was to test the performance difference between a binary and linear search by counting the amount of comparisons done in each search method. The code as I implemented during testing was functional and those discrepancies didn't matter for that purpose. I was only asking about the looping issue.

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

This was a month ago and that wasn't even the issue as was pointed out. For the context of the homework, it didn't matter whether or not the value was specifically found, it was to test the performance difference between a binary and linear search by counting the amount of comparisons done in each search method. The code as I implemented during testing was functional and those discrepancies didn't matter for that purpose. I was only asking about the looping issue.

My bad. I forgot to check the date.