Testing New Components

Where should I test my new components? I just bought a motherboard, CPU, RAM, power supply and case, but I don't know wheter if mount them or test them outside the case. I'll appreciate your recommendations (it's my first build).

3 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

test them outside the case

Use the motherboard box, its anti static

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Build your computer like normal, just don't close it up or bother with cable management until you've run a few tests.

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Use the motherboard box, its anti static

The plastic bag the motherboard is in is anti-static. The box itself is not.

Yeah test it outside the case. Its easier to put the cpu/cooler and ram together outside the case anyway so just plug it all in with the gpu and be sure

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

3 hours ago, Moress said:

Yeah test it outside the case. Its easier to put the cpu/cooler and ram together outside the case anyway so just plug it all in with the gpu and be sure

So, mount just CPU, cooler and RAM, test it and later mount everything inside the case (drives, cable management, etc.), right?

30 minutes ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

So, mount just CPU, cooler and RAM, test it and later mount everything inside the case (drives, cable management, etc.), right?

That is one way of doing things that will work.

Personally I prefer to mount the cpu in the motherboard. Then install the the motherboard in the case, install memory, then the cpu cooler. Then boot to BIOS as a test. My reasoning is that with a tower cooler, one has to be very careful not to damage the motherboard maneuvering it into place. And, with an AIO one needs four hands, two for the motherboard and two for the radiator. Also, things can get cramped in the case with a cooler installed and securing motherboard mounting screws can become tricky.

The downside to this approach is when one of these critical components is DOA, one has to take things apart. In my experience, provided one handles parts with care, this is a rare occurrence.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 minutes ago, brob said:

That is one way of doing things that will work.

Personally I prefer to mount the cpu in the motherboard. Then install the the motherboard in the case, install memory, then the cpu cooler. Then boot to BIOS as a test. My reasoning is that with a tower cooler, one has to be very careful not to damage the motherboard maneuvering it into place. And, with an AIO one needs four hands, two for the motherboard and two for the radiator. Also, things can get cramped in the case with a cooler installed and securing motherboard mounting screws can become tricky.

The downside to this approach is when one of these critical components is DOA, one has to take things apart. In my experience, provided one handles parts with care, this is a rare occurrence.

I just watched a video from Newegg and the guy installed the stock cooler outside the case, is that safe? By the way, what's "DOA"?

1 hour ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

I just watched a video from Newegg and the guy installed the stock cooler outside the case, is that safe? By the way, what's "DOA"?

Yes, stock cooler is small and light enough that it is quite safe to mount it outside the case. 

DOA - dead on arrival.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.