Difference between MP and resolution?

Go to solution Solved by AkiraDaarkst,
11 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

Ok so I know these are probably noob questions, but whats the difference between MP and resolution? I know 1 MP is 1 million pixels, but I don't get why cameras aren't addressed by resolution instead of MP. Also why do some cameras have weird resolutions like 6000x4000? Why don't they just go to 4/5k so everything can be in the same aspect ratio?

Also with phone like the Nokia Lumina 1020 isn't how does the resolution amount to 41,000,000 pixels, but is only 1080??

Thank you, also sorry if this is poorly written.

Don't confuse megapixels with aspect ratio.

Megapixels (MP) refer to the amount of pixels that the sensor has.  Though typically camera sensors tend to have slightly more pixels than advertised by the manufacturer.

But just because a camera comes with X megapixels doesn't mean that the camera is capable of recording videos of the same resolution as said amount of megapixels.  FHD (1920x1080) is roughly a 2.07 megapixel resolution image per frame while 4K UHD is roughly 8.3 megapixels.  Cameras that have higher megapixels than those video resolutions usually do some image scaling or cropping (depending on the mode and model).

Cameras inside mobile phones and photo cameras use sensors mainly with the 3:2 aspect ratio in terms of dimensions.  For video recording, those cameras scale and crop what the sensor sees.

Video cameras on the other hand can come with sensors that are as close to their highest recording resolution's aspect ratio.  Modern digital video cameras typically come with sensors close to 16:9/17:9 aspect ratios while older SD cameras might have sensors that are close to 4:3, if not exactly at those ratios.

So yeah there's nothing wrong with a camera like the Sony A6300 or A6500 having a sensor with 6000x4000 resolution.  The aspect ratio is 3:2 for photography.

Ok so I know these are probably noob questions, but whats the difference between MP and resolution? I know 1 MP is 1 million pixels, but I don't get why cameras aren't addressed by resolution instead of MP. Also why do some cameras have weird resolutions like 6000x4000? Why don't they just go to 4/5k so everything can be in the same aspect ratio?

Also with phone like the Nokia Lumina 1020 isn't how does the resolution amount to 41,000,000 pixels, but is only 1080??

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

most cameras use 3:2 aspect cause thats what most 35mm film uses.

Ohh ok thanks

But how can a the 1020 have such a high MP count when its 1080p??

EDIT: Nevermind just re-read. So its a high resolution but the phone doesn't store it as that because the file is too big?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

Ohh ok thanks

But how can a the 1020 have such a high MP count when its 1080p??

It captures photos at 41MP, but video it only captures at 1080p, probably by either applying a quick filter on the raw input to downsample it or picking the values at every other "pixel" in the photo sensor.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

It captures photos at 41MP, but video it only captures at 1080p, probably by either applying a quick filter on the raw input to downsample it or picking the values at every other "pixel" in the photo sensor.

Ohh ok thank you

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

11 hours ago, QuantumBit said:

Don't confuse megapixels with aspect ratio.

Megapixels (MP) refer to the amount of pixels that the sensor has.  Though typically camera sensors tend to have slightly more pixels than advertised by the manufacturer.

But just because a camera comes with X megapixels doesn't mean that the camera is capable of recording videos of the same resolution as said amount of megapixels.  FHD (1920x1080) is roughly a 2.07 megapixel resolution image per frame while 4K UHD is roughly 8.3 megapixels.  Cameras that have higher megapixels than those video resolutions usually do some image scaling or cropping (depending on the mode and model).

Cameras inside mobile phones and photo cameras use sensors mainly with the 3:2 aspect ratio in terms of dimensions.  For video recording, those cameras scale and crop what the sensor sees.

Video cameras on the other hand can come with sensors that are as close to their highest recording resolution's aspect ratio.  Modern digital video cameras typically come with sensors close to 16:9/17:9 aspect ratios while older SD cameras might have sensors that are close to 4:3, if not exactly at those ratios.

So yeah there's nothing wrong with a camera like the Sony A6300 or A6500 having a sensor with 6000x4000 resolution.  The aspect ratio is 3:2 for photography.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

8 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

snip

Thanks!

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W