Cpu and mobo help

So I just upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1060, and now I need a new mobo and cpu. I am a gamer but I do no content work all. Maybe my wife will do a but of photoshop on my pc but I doubt it. I don't know if I should get a locked cpu 7500 for example or spend the little more and get  7600k for future over clocking towards the end of the cpus life time. Help! 

Or does an older cpu still make sense to buy? What about ryzen as well?

Just now, manikyath said:

well.. what cpu do you have now?

I have a amd phenom ii x4 965 black 

Ryzen 5 is just around the corner. If it's as good as the simulated tests suggest, it'll be pretty decent value for money, especially the 1500X and 1600. I'd say wait for it, if it doesn't turn out that good get an i5, but if it does (I'm guessing it will), get that with a B350 board.

5 minutes ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

Ryzen 5 is just around the corner. If it's as good as the simulated tests suggest, it'll be pretty decent value for money, especially the 1500X and 1600. I'd say wait for it, if it doesn't turn out that good get an i5, but if it does (I'm guessing it will), get that with a B350 board.

I agree, wait until Ryzen 5. I think it'll be quite a nice addition to your 1060. 

22 hours ago, 1kv said:

I agree, wait until Ryzen 5. I think it'll be quite a nice addition to your 1060. 

So what I get from you guys is noone suggested the new Intel family chips. .. 

21 minutes ago, HuskyRid said:

So what I get from you guys is noone suggested the new Intel family chips. .. 

It was only a suggestion. If you want to go Intel, a 4690K would be good since OC'ing would let you squeeze a bit more performance out of it. If you want newer, then get something like an i5-6500 or maybe an i5-7500 and you should be okay. Even beamNG (A game that is very CPU demanding) runs fine on my i5-4460 paired with a 2GB Reference GTX 960. 

15 minutes ago, 1kv said:

It was only a suggestion. If you want to go Intel, a 4690K would be good since OC'ing would let you squeeze a bit more performance out of it. If you want newer, then get something like an i5-6500 or maybe an i5-7500 and you should be okay. Even beamNG (A game that is very CPU demanding) runs fine on my i5-4460 paired with a 2GB Reference GTX 960. 

I was just mostly asking because I thought ddr4 and the new architecture might have been something that will scale into the future better but honestly I am waiting for ryzen 5 and hoping it's a beast. 

Just now, HuskyRid said:

I was just mostly asking because I thought ddr4 and the new architecture might have been something that will scale into the future better but honestly I am waiting for ryzen 5 and hoping it's a beast. 

I'm waiting too. Let's hope it's good. 

15 minutes ago, HuskyRid said:

I recently purchased a i5 7500, mines paired with a 980ti. Playing the witcher 3 at 4k with everything maxed I'm getting about 45 fps. I'd say the 7500 is a solid CPU. I wouldn't personally buy an older CPU currently due to the older architecture (ddr3 etc) but that's just me  :) 

System

• CPU
    i5- 7500
  • RAM
    16GB DDR4 Crucial Balistix Sport
  • GPU
    MSI 980TI 6GB gaming edition
  • Case
    NZXT
  • PSU
    Corsair cm600x
  • Cooling