windows 10 format

onemanarmy720
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
2 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

what if I just reset all my files in windows settings and bring it back to a clean windows copy.

That should do it though I've personally never trusted how well windows reset utility works. If I need to wipe user data off a machine and start clean I always do a full format of the hard drive and manually reinstall the OS. It's not hard to do but it requires a bit more knowledge than the average computer user so if your objective is the same then the windows reset utility is your best option.

I used to have windows 8.1 before windows 10 came out, and i got the free upgrade when it did, and have had it for over 18 months. If i format my PC will it go back to windows 8.1 or stay windows 10? thanks.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

The thread was moved to the Windows section.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Simplified answer. To format the drive means all data will be erased (not entirely true but for now that's how I'll state it) when formatting the drive there is no reverting to a previous OS. You'll be left with an empty hard drive that will require a completely new OS installation.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Simplified answer. To format the drive means all data will be erased (not entirely true but for now that's how I'll state it) when formatting the drive there is no reverting to a previous OS. You'll be left with an empty hard drive that will require a completely new OS installation.

what if I just reset all my files in windows settings and bring it back to a clean windows copy.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

2 minutes ago, onemanarmy720 said:

That should do it though I've personally never trusted how well windows reset utility works. If I need to wipe user data off a machine and start clean I always do a full format of the hard drive and manually reinstall the OS. It's not hard to do but it requires a bit more knowledge than the average computer user so if your objective is the same then the windows reset utility is your best option.