Intel "launches" Optane for the consumer market

zMeul

source: https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/optane-memory.html

via: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11227/intel-launches-optane-memory-m2-cache-ssds-for-client-market?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

optane-memory-ready-badge-rwd.png.rendit

The Intel Optane Memory SSD uses one or two single-die packages of 3D XPoint non-volatile memory to provide capacities of 16GB or 32GB. The controller gets away with a much smaller package than most SSDs (especially PCIe SSD) since it only supports two PCIe 3.0 lanes and does not have an external DRAM interface. Because only two PCIe lanes are used by the drive, it is keyed to support M.2 type B and M slots. This keying is usually used for M.2 SATA SSDs while M.2 PCIe SSDs typically use only the M key position to support four PCIe lanes. The Optane Memory SSD will not function in a M.2 slot that provides only SATA connectivity. Contrary to some early leaks, the Optane Memory SSD uses the M.2 2280 card size instead of one of the shorter lengths. This makes for one of the least-crowded M.2 PCBs on the market even with all of the components on the top side.

The very low capacity of the Optane Memory drives limits their usability as traditional SSDs. Intel intends for the drive to be used with the caching capabilities of their Rapid Storage Technology drivers.

doesn't all this sound familiar? it does ...

back in 2011 Intel introduced RST (Rapid Storage Technology), that allowed consumers to use a (small) SSD as cache for the main disk drive (HDD) trough one of RST's components (Smart Response Technology)

Intel Optane only works on 200 series mobos paired with a Kaby Lake CPU; also the controller needs to be set in RAID mode

these units will be available April 24th in 16GB and 32GB models

C7ZuFMt.png

oh .. and by the way, because I would assume people aren't clear on this: Intel Optane is not a disk drive - it can only be used as cache!

you cannot boot from it nor install anything on it - it's only visible by Intel's own ecosystem and hidden to the user

---

Intel Optane is based on 3D Xpoint nonvolatile NAND flash memory, a new type of memory that was co-developed by Intel and Micron

development started back in 2012 and 1st chips were manufactured in 2015

---

Intel made it quite clear the 3D Xpoint memory will not be available to 3rd parties: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-optane-memory-cache,33988.html

Edited by zMeul

I'm just curious as to whether or not for booting up and launching applications whether or not they'll be any faster than most SSDs today.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Damn, now Kaby Lake is starting to have a purpose... or maybe it's just Intel being Intel and limiting it to 7th gen because they can. Sad to have 6th gen stuff right now.

and you beat me to posting this :( 

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just now, DocSwag said:

I'm just curious as to whether or not for booting up and launching applications whether or not they'll be any faster than most SSDs today.

you need some atomic clocks to measure the differences

NVMe SSDs are already quite fast

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

buys an optane just to boot windows and launching minecraft is plain stupid, yet I can see some people will still do it

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

buys an optane just to boot windows

updated the OP because I think people aren't clear on it - Intel Optane is not visible to the user!

you cannot install Windows on it, Intel Optane is just cache for your main disk drive

I'd be interested to do some testing on a 3D XPoint device...if I can get my hands on one (and compatible hardware).

By the way, Optane (3D XPoint) is NOT NAND. 

It is Resistive RAM (ReRAM) ..similar to what Crossbar, Inc. has been working on.

(Side Note: IBM has been researching in resistive computing [e.g. ReGPUs] for a few years now)

From the information I was able get (picking their brains) from the Intel Employees that were visiting my University a month back (keep in mind Optane was still under NDA at the time), it is using ~20 nm lithography / feature size. This is compared to ~ 16 nm used in 2D Planar NAND (e.g. TLC, MLC).

Samsung's V-NAND, put into simple terms, is just stacks of 2D Planar NAND.

If I recall correctly, V-NAND (at least for 1st generation) was using ~20 / 21 nm feature size.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

you need some atomic clocks to measure the differences

NVMe SSDs are already quite fast

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

because of he nature of optane it should make the Os much more snappier than ssds, because it can achieve higher speeds while only moving small amounts of data, ssds to achieve high speeds need to move a lot of data (e.g.:transferring files).

Allen from pcper was talking about this in he week that the server version came out.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

updated the OP because I think people aren't clear on it - Intel Optane is not visible to the user!

you cannot install Windows on it, Intel Optane is just cache for your main disk drive

thats the single biggest problem i have with the tech.

i would have bought one if it wasn't for that 

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

because of he nature of optane it should make the Os much more snappier than ssds, because it can achieve higher speeds while only moving small amounts of data, ssds to achieve high speeds need to move a lot of data (e.g.:transferring files).

Allen from pcper was talking about this in he week that the server version came out.

that's in theory not in practice

Windows itself doesn't do much in terms or read/writes that it would greatly benefit from this

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thats the single biggest problem i have with the tech.

i would have bought one if it wasn't for that 

that's the biggest advantage of this tech because it will allow you to "speed up" your Terabytes HDD - sort of SSHD on steroids

we'll see how it actually performs in a month or so

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

because of he nature of optane it should make the Os much more snappier than ssds

The specs that were listed appear to be no better than the Samsung 960 Pro, or even the 950 Pro. I have a 950 Pro, it doesn't feel any better than the 850 EVO I have in my laptop.

Plus most of the stuff you use in the OS should be living in RAM after a day of uptime.

Can't believe people would spend $44 e-peen add on. I would never do such a stupid thing.

Spoiler

*Immediately goes to Amazon check out Optane SSD and side grade to kaby lake.*

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Unless people are still rocking hard drives I cannot see a purpose for this. Especially if spending $77 on it.

You can buy a 240gb 840 on sale right not on newegg, that can be used for what ever you want and out perform this in terms of IOPs...which is the biggest factor when using cache..

Even with TBs of storage what is 32gb going to cache? I wish I could see any use for this.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The specs that were listed appear to be no better than the Samsung 960 Pro, or even the 950 Pro. I have a 950 Pro, it doesn't feel any better than the 850 EVO I have in my laptop.

Plus most of the stuff you use in the OS should be living in RAM after a day of uptime.

The specs are clearly superior to the Samsung 960 Pro in certain areas, such as low-queue depth random IOPS, latency, and write endurance. But the performance is subject to the same diminishing returns you've noted with your 950 Pro vs. 850 Evo.

29 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Unless people are still rocking hard drives I cannot see a purpose for this. Especially if spending $77 on it.

notebooks will be rocking HDDs and with this, the could rock way bigger HDDs than 256/512GB SSDs

still needs to be tested tho, if it performs better than a NVMe drive it's a no brainer

8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The specs are clearly superior to the Samsung 960 Pro in certain areas, such as low-queue depth random IOPS, latency, and write endurance. But the performance is subject to the same diminishing returns you've noted with your 950 Pro vs. 850 Evo.

well yeah and no

the thing with Optane would be if you can attach it to a large HDD and still get access speeds just as you would from a NVMe drive

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

notebooks will be rocking HDDs and with this, the could rock way bigger HDDs than 256/512GB SSDs

But this tech has been around since SSDs were a thing. Hybrid drives had 16gb SSD cache on 1TB+  drives and in real world performance doesnt improve on things you would be using that required the storage. Mainly people who have or need that much hop around so much in the drive that the cache isnt really storing anything that is used often.

It just not worth it. I would like SSD performance on everything and not let a card decide what needs to be fast. My hybrid drive drove me nuts back in 2011. Sometimes the pc was snappy but after loading up a game or viewing some movies windows would run like crap because it remove the windows cache even though the algorithm was supposed to prioritize frequently used files.

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

well yeah and no

the thing with Optane would be if you can attach it to a large HDD and still get access speeds just as you would from a NVMe drive

Which still doesn't give you much of an appreciable boost than from SATA SSDs. And if it's like SSHD's, you still have to touch the data often enough or constantly, otherwise it gets flushed out.

Apple's Fusion Drive is the only hybrid storage technology I've seen that actually makes sense to me.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

But this tech has been around since SSDs were a thing. Hybrid drives had 16gb SSD cache on 1TB+

this is not the same thing, it works on a "similar" principle

to pass final judgement on it we need to see it in real world scenarios

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Which still doesn't give you much of an appreciable boost than from SATA SSDs. And if it's like SSHD's, you still have to touch the data often enough.

yes, but the 32GB Optane is cheaper than a 250GB 850EVO and you can have a really big HDD

it also depends on how good is the Optane algorithm for pre-fetching data

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yes, but the 32GB Optane is cheaper than a 250GB 850EVO and you can have a really big HDD

it also depends on how good is the Optane algorithm for pre-fetching data

I would rather get a 120 GB 750 EVO. 120GB isn't anemic for my use case and I can guarantee stuff I want to run fast lives on the SSD.

I would rather get a 120 GB 750 EVO. 120GB isn't anemic for my use case and I can guarantee stuff I want to run fast lives on the SSD.

120GB is small, I would not waste money on that SSD

To you maybe, but my 950 EVO is currently sitting at almost 190GB free out of the 256GB .

mine is at 193GB free, but I had games on it 

also, having a SSD with less than ~20% free space is going to increase the cell wear