SVCHOST.exe using 50% of CPU

orangecat

My dads pc has a celeron G530 and it's pretty limited on CPU cycles as is. I noticed SVCHOST was consuming 50% of the CPU at all times no matter what I did. Ending the process fixed it but only for a few seconds until it opened up again.

Anyone know whats going on here?

Go to services and find wuauserv (not sure if I spelled it right). Stop the service and you will be fine.

According to Google it is caused by a bug of Windows Update.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Go to services and find wuauserv (not sure if I spelled it right). Stop the service and you will be fine.

According to Google it is caused by a bug of Windows Update.

I'll look into it thanks.

32 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

I'll look into it thanks.

Welcome!

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 hour ago, Kilobytez95 said:

My dads pc has a celeron G530 and it's pretty limited on CPU cycles as is. I noticed SVCHOST was consuming 50% of the CPU at all times no matter what I did. Ending the process fixed it but only for a few seconds until it opened up again.

Anyone know whats going on here?

Under the Detail tab in the Task manager, right-click on the header of the table, and pick "Select columns", a small panel will open. In it, find Command Line, check its box, and click on OK. Now a new columns will show. This will show the command line and argument of the executable. This will allow us to see what Svchost.exe is related to, as they are many, and all doing different things.

Find the svchost.exe that consume a lot of CPU, and tell me what the command line says. Cool tip: When you do Ctrl+C, the text of each column of the selected item in the task manager will be copied, and can be pasted, like so:

Name             PID      Status    CPU     Memory                     Command line                                    Description
taskhostw.exe    12112    Running    00     5,056 K    taskhostw.exe {222A245B-E637-4AE9-A93F-A59CA119A75E}    Host Process for Windows Tasks

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Under the Detail tab in the Task manager, right-click on the header of the table, and pick "Select columns", a small panel will open. In it, find Command Line, check its box, and click on OK. Now a new columns will show. This will show the command line and argument of the executable. This will allow us to see what Svchost.exe is related to, as they are many, and all doing different things.

Find the svchost.exe that consume a lot of CPU, and tell me what the command line says. Cool tip: When you do Ctrl+C, the text of each column of the selected item in the task manager will be copied, and can be pasted, like so:

Name             PID      Status    CPU     Memory                     Command line                                    Description
taskhostw.exe    12112    Running    00     5,056 K    taskhostw.exe {222A245B-E637-4AE9-A93F-A59CA119A75E}    Host Process for Windows Tasks

This is what I got...

20170327_111204_HDR.thumb.jpg.e954a4993985319426128030493760b1.jpg

Ok, so this can be 1 of the following:

• Network driver
  • Service: Certificate Propagation (maybe the issue)
  • Service: System Event Notification Service (maybe the issue)
  • Service: IP Helper
  • Service: Server (maybe the issue)
  • Service: Geolocation Service (unlikely)
  • Service: User Manager
  • Service: Remote Access Connection Manager
  • Service: Windows Manager
  • Service: Windows Push Notification
  • Service: TokenBroker
  • Service: Theme (maybe the issue)
  • Service: Shell Hardware Detection (maybe the issue)
  • Service: Shared PC Account Manager
  • Service: Remote Desktop Configuration

In Windows 10 Creators Update coming up, you no longer have these "1 item is multiple items on the back", and hence why you'll see a wall of svchost.exe in your Task Manager, but then again, it would allow you to know exactly the culprit and not the guessing game, as it now.

Open the Service panel, and start disabling each services and see which one reduces the CPU usage.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok, so this can be 1 of the following:

• Network driver
  • Service: Certificate Propagation (maybe the issue)
  • Service: System Event Notification Service (maybe the issue)
  • Service: IP Helper
  • Service: Server (maybe the issue)
  • Service: Geolocation Service (unlikely)
  • Service: User Manager
  • Service: Remote Access Connection Manager
  • Service: Windows Manager
  • Service: Windows Push Notification
  • Service: TokenBroker
  • Service: Theme (maybe the issue)
  • Service: Shell Hardware Detection (maybe the issue)
  • Service: Shared PC Account Manager
  • Service: Remote Desktop Configuration

In Windows 10 Creators Update coming up, you no longer have these "1 item is multiple items on the back", and hence why you'll see a wall of svchost.exe in your Task Manager, but then again, it would allow you to know exactly the culprit and not the guessing game, as it now.

Open the Service panel, and start disabling each services and see which one reduces the CPU usage.

Thanks I will have a look at it later on and see what I can do.