Microsoft could be facing a class action for Windows 10 OS upgrade

source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/24/microsoft_windows_10_update/

3 people (Stephanie Watson, Robert Saiger and Howard Goldberg) have brought a class action complaint against MicroSoft in the Illinois Court

the full filing can be seen here: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/03/24/microsoft_complaint.pdf

the complaint:

[MicroSoft] failed to exercise reasonable care in designing, formulating, and manufacturing the Windows 10 upgrade and placing it into the stream of commerce

As a result of its failure to exercise reasonable care, [the company] distributed an operating system that was liable to cause loss of data or damage to hardware.

this is not the 1st time MicroSoft had to face civil suit for botched Windows 10 upgrades

last year, a business owner sued MicroSoft after the Windows 10 upgrade activated itself overnight, causing downtime for the business and loss of sales - the case was settled for 10 grand $

the attorneys for this new case are seeking the suit to be classified as class action, and will include every person in the US that lost data or ended up with non-functional PCs because of the Windows 10 upgrade

---

hope these lawyers hire some tech eggheads because as of now, the filling only covers Windows 7 installs and earlier ... what!?!?

---

Spoiler

r_9492_MaC5x.jpg

Microsoft and these Windows 10 issues. They just keep coming, don't they?

Look at the spelling above btw.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

hope these lawyers hire some tech eggheads because as of now, the filling only covers Windows 7 installs and earlier ... what!?!?

well, to be fair, the only botched upgrade I've seen was from 7 to 10.. 

8(non 8.1) > 10 works fine every time

8.1 > 10 works fine every time

10 fresh install works fine every time

idk

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

My Dell laptop failed going from 8.1 to 10. Then failed on fresh install.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Microsoft and these Windows 10 issues. They just keep coming, don't they?

Look at the spelling above btw.

And yet people still are dumb since they sue Microsoft for a bit of money, for somewhat laughable non techy-ness mistakes sometimes. Like total loss of data for a failed upgrade ... well... a fail upgrade doesn't necessarily mean that.

That aside, a computer program can crash, shit happens and there is no legal grounds to sue if the update was in their consent  (which was not the case allegedly when the woman won)

They should sue Microsoft for what they are actually doing wrong with forced updates from other version os  (forced updates within w10 is in their license rights) or them having potentially questionable use of personal data... the important stuff like harming freedom

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

For me, its been Windows 10 randomly fucking up after each fresh re-install. I just gave up on it, and right now I've got the best Windows 7 install that I've had to date (initial updates didn't take too long, no random crashes/BSOS etc)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

I've done:

- Toshiba Protege machine from 7 > 10, worked fine

- My side machine at the time, Alienware M11xR3, from 7 > 10, stopped booting. Had to fresh install. 

- Tablet stopped updating and I just made an upgrade USB and fresh restore installed, from 8.1 to 10

- Toshiba machine that belonged to my mum, went from 8.1 > 10 and worked fine. 

Only one that failed for me was 7 > 10, ironically on a Dell/AW machine also.

idk

11 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Nah mine had issues going from 8.1 > 10.

Issue lies with non fresh installs of the OS.

Doubt Microsoft would budge to this, since it is more of a quality of experience rather than like a full frontal i destroyed your data assault.

ironically Microsoft hasn't so much as breathed a word of the Windows 10 Mobile UPGRADE from Windows Phone 8.1 to anybody who owns a Windows Phone....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, huilun02 said:

What about the deliberate, extensive breach of user privacy from resetting user telemetry settings, hidden and unstoppable (from within the OS) data transfer that even bypass DNS lookup? 

Nobody on the "Consumer" side of things seems to mind?

Idk. Non techies not realizing how bad data collection is these days.....

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Shockingly I've never had a Windows 10 upgrade or install fail. Sure, they've been really slow at times, but usually Windows 10 just stops working after a while of usage. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nobody on the "Consumer" side of things seems to mind?

Idk. Non techies not realizing how bad data collection is these days.....

A good number of them do care they just do not have the full understanding of the depth of the issues as a techie would and it is up to us to help them understand and then they will join the fight.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Just now, Droidbot said:

I've done:

- Toshiba Protege machine from 7 > 10, worked fine

- My side machine at the time, Alienware M11xR3, from 7 > 10, stopped booting. Had to fresh install. 

- Tablet stopped updating and I just made an upgrade USB and fresh restore installed, from 8.1 to 10

- Toshiba machine that belonged to my mum, went from 8.1 > 10 and worked fine. 

Only one that failed for me was 7 > 10, ironically on a Dell/AW machine also.

So, you have done 4 systems, 2 of which were 8.1 to 10, and drew the conclusion that 8.1 > 10 "works fine every time"? It is not exactly the best data set there :P.

The Dell laptop was the only system that I had issues with updating, this required a BIOS update for W10 to install which wasn't available when the upgrade occurred.

They deserve it. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

24 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

my W8.1 Pavilion 15 laptop outright refused to update to W10 even if I wanted it to, had to manually upgrade it

2 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

So, you have done 4 systems, 2 of which were 8.1 to 10, and drew the conclusion that 8.1 > 10 "works fine every time"? It is not exactly the best data set there :P.

The Dell laptop was the only system that I had issues with updating, this required a BIOS update for W10 to install which wasn't available when the upgrade occurred.

hm. why should UEFI have to change to update an OS? I'm just saying from my perspective and my experience..

but they should widen it to win7 + 8 + 8.1 updates as I've seen some stories in this thread alone

idk

26 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

had a laptop messed up going from 8 to 10 and i had to do a fresh install instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

hm. why should UEFI have to change to update an OS? I'm just saying from my perspective and my experience..

but they should widen it to win7 + 8 + 8.1 updates as I've seen some stories in this thread alone

2 words: Secure Boot

Some more words: Windows 10 is cancer

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

2 words: Secure Boot.

They introduced UEFI cause it's more secure than BIOS

But it's a fucking nightmare for security and the entire thing is a shitshow

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

UEFI if anything has the same poor security. Windows 10 requires its own specific version of Secure Boot and if you can't disable it, you either need the BIOS to support the specific version, or your shit out of luck.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Secure Boot is what he's talking about, nothing wrong with UEFI

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Windows 8 is no longer supported.

Windows 8.1 is effectively a service pack for Windows 8.

As Microsoft describes it, customers need Windows 8.1 Update (from April 2014) to be supported.

info.PNG.461cd75d0e7ea4cea594f01ab4cc4e7e.PNGwin8.PNG.db354e97d16b2dd6a4b246ee6fbffe53.PNG

24 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

ironically Microsoft hasn't so much as breathed a word of the Windows 10 Mobile UPGRADE from Windows Phone 8.1 to anybody who owns a Windows Phone....

Maybe because they'd rather spend resources and effort on something they earn money from, win10 mobile might not have the same spy stuff so it might not be worth it for them

46 minutes ago, zMeul said:

source: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/24/microsoft_windows_10_update/

3 people (Stephanie Watson, Robert Saiger and Howard Goldberg) have brought a class action complaint against MicroSoft in the Illinois Court

the full filing can be seen here: https://regmedia.co.uk/2017/03/24/microsoft_complaint.pdf

the complaint:

this is not the 1st time MicroSoft had to face civil suit for botched Windows 10 upgrades

last year, a business owner sued MicroSoft after the Windows 10 upgrade activated itself overnight, causing downtime for the business and loss of sales - the case was settled for 10 grand $

the attorneys for this new case are seeking the suit to be classified as class action, and will include every person in the US that lost data or ended up with non-functional PCs because of the Windows 10 upgrade

---

---

Reveal hidden contents

r_9492_MaC5x.jpg

Microshaft really has to step up their game. I hope the "Creator update" does some good...