Windows 10 Creators Update – Here is everything you need to know - Out now

GoodBytes

Uh...TL;DR please.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

6 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

Uh...TL;DR please.

Mostly minor changes.

Some things, some people will like.

Most of the things most people didn't like are basically unchanged

Just now, BachChain said:

Mostly minor changes.

Some things, some people will like.

Most of the things most people didn't like are basically unchanged

Cool, so I'm free to not care! xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

You're funny. :)

No you can't.

I trust Microsoft over Google any day now. The simple fact that Google hides deeply their privacy policy so that you need to be determined to know what they do with their data, and not have it in plain sight in plain English, says a lot.

But anyway, to answer you, you can't disable it all, same as before. Even if you have Server or Enterprise.  And, even if you use tools that claims that it does. They never worked. You can only reduce it. Enterprise, Education, and Server edition can be reduced a step further over Pro and Home, but not disable it in full. Nothing has changed on that front between past, current and coming up (Creators Update). All options are under Start > Settings > Privacy as always.

Seems pretty plain and understandable to me:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/

Great MS but where's my "Hide tiles on the start menu" toggle?

Remember when Microsoft tried to kill the start menu by replacing it with live tiles and everyone went nuts? Yeah well now they're making it so the start menu can be live tiles only and everyone's OK with it? I'm calling it now, in Redstone 3 they're gonna remove the program list entirely and go live tiles only. Its the beginning of the end for Win32.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

35 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I hope so. Whenever Microsoft said they made something more secure, I tend to take it with a grain of salt. I think the problem with Edge is that is is tied too deep to the operating system. A browser process might be placed in their version of sandbox called "AppContainer (since Windows 8)" but since it's tied deeper to the OS, an attacker probably can find it easier to find exploits to escape the sandbox and make system calls to the OS (elevation of privileges). So unless a security researcher can say Edge's has been hardened in Creators Update, I'm sticking to Chrome. 

I wonder if an AD router will get something similar to AC's beamforming. ?

I guess my AC beamforming is working or something. I was still able to get the 5GHz signal when I was in bathroom, down the hall, even though it wasn't a direct line of sight, but there wasn't anything blocking its path. But when I go to the room, next to my router, the 5GHz signal cuts out and it switches to 2.4GHz. Basically 5GHz signal, will work straight or almost straight lines, but it can't do U-Turns.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

30 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Does it include blocking Microsoft from installing them? Or those were all UWP anyway?

It only blocks Win32 programs that comes from the outside (USB flash drive, Internet, disk, etc) that were not there before from running.

So, if you install Firefox, as an example, and The WItcher 3, and enable that option to any of its levels. Your game and Firefox will continue to run just fine. But now, if you go and download Safari and run it, it will be blocked.

The idea, is that you can setup a parent computer or something, install all the programs they need, then enable that option. Now, when they get image.jpg.exe as e-mail, or some randsomeware or wtv, it will be blocked. But Chrome, Office, Notepad, and whatever else software that was already on the system, before the option was enabled, will work just fine.

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I guess my AC beamforming is working or something. I was still able to get the 5GHz signal when I was in bathroom, down the hall, even though it wasn't a direct line of sight, but there wasn't anything blocking its path. But when I go to the room, next to my router, the 5GHz signal cuts out and it switches to 2.4GHz. Basically 5GHz signal, will work straight or almost straight lines, but it can't do U-Turns.

Then something wrong there, in my case the router is on the 1st floor and i can still use it in the living room directly under it despite the reinforced concrete between them...

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

In a 'medium size' house (2 bed rooms + office + basement + living room + full kicthen area + eating area), you should be able to get 5GHz signal everywhere with a decent router, and wireless cards in devices. You won't get max bars edge to edge of the house, but you should. I am assuming that the router is placed in the first floor to cover basement and upper floor, and not in a shelf blocking the signal.

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Remember when Microsoft tried to kill the start menu by replacing it with live tiles and everyone went nuts? Yeah well now they're making it so the start menu can be live tiles only and everyone's OK with it? I'm calling it now, in Redstone 3 they're gonna remove the program list entirely and go live tiles only. Its the beginning of the end for Win32.

Umm... Just remove all the tiles and resize it and you can have just the application list... It's been that way since Windows 10 came out...

The reason this is a benefit is on small screen devices where screen real estate was limited.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

There's also native support for USB Audio 2.0 (only 10 years late) :-)

Let's hope USB Audio Class 3 doesn't take as long.

1 minute ago, jagdtigger said:

Then something wrong there, in my case the router is on the 1st floor and i can still use it in the living room directly under it despite the reinforced concrete between them...

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

In a 'medium size' house (2 bed rooms + office + basement + living room + full kicthen area + eating area), you should be able to get 5GHz signal everywhere with a decent router, and wireless cards in devices. You won't get max bars edge to edge of the house, but you should. I am assuming that the router is placed in the first floor to cover basement and upper floor, and not in a shelf blocking the signal.

I'll try again later tonight to see what's going on.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Live tiles, in principal, are great. In Windows 8, people didn't hate the live tiles, they hated the fact that the desktop disappears and you have this, unorganized, set of huge tiles, with no help or indication that you can organize anything. And the default layout where just random mess, with desktop tile hidden. Not helped with the fact that in Windows 8.0, the start button was gone.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

I'll try again later tonight to see what's going on.

Yeah, 5GHz doesn't penetrate as well as 2.4GHz but it should still be able to punch through a few walls. My OnHub covers most of my house with 5Ghz, and I live in a pretty decently sized house 

I've tried this F.lux and this yellow tint during night mode, just does not work for me. On the other hand, the Blue Light Filter, on Asus Zen Phone 2 is awesome. When enabled, blue light is reduced and yet it's still comforting.

BTW, on Samsung monitors when you open a picture in Windows Photo Viewer, that default one in Windows 7. You'll notice a yellow tinted background. This is actually caused by windows for using the wrong monitor profile.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

38 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

Uh...TL;DR please.

New fancy paint program that actually looks quite good.  Light-years beyond the old paint at least.

Damn GoodBytes this post deserves a medal. Very well done. Can't wait to install this on my New Spectre x360, just got it yesterday and am loving it.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

oh how nice, time to redo all the registery hacking i did to get rid of windows auto rebooting while i was doing important shit or had stuff opened over night and then leaving the computer on to wake me up at 3am -_- 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

download Safari and run it

I know it's just an example but thankfully Safari is deprecated on Windows. I think it has been for quite a few years now.

I wouldn't be forced to update to this, right? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

I wouldn't be forced to update to this, right? 

The good news is that the forum servers aren't on fire.

The bad news, yes the update will be installed to all.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

The good news is that the forum servers aren't on fire.

The bad news, yes it will be.

Wow great. That's gonna fuck shit up again. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

You can download the ISO file and extract it on a USB flash drive with your favorite ISO to USB tool when it will be released. You can start the upgrade by inserting your USB flash drive, start the setup, and pick Upgrade.

I hadn't updated my desktop since I cut off Comcast, which was back in August, and I can't be wasting my 5 GB cellular data on updates. Though without an internet connection, OS security on the Web probably isn't much of an issue anyway. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 3/27/2017 at 6:58 AM, GoodBytes said:

Tab Preview

You now have an arrow button the right of your tabs, when you click on it, it shows you a thumbnail preview of your open tabs for you to have an easier time finding what you were looking for.

58d8ecdadb86a_edgetabpreview.PNG.f7375c680db28b3855a5b34b493de52c.PNG

I wonder where I've seen this before 9_9

g7p9tuS.png

I also hold it on good authority that this feature was also in an old version of Opera. I N N O V A T I O N.

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

I wonder where I've seen this before 9_9

g7p9tuS.png

I also hold it on good authority that this feature was also in an old version of Opera. I N N O V A T I O N.

No one said it is innovative. It is just a new feature in Edge.