Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot

So I almost have my build finalized (you can see the forum thread with all of my part choices here) But what I am curious/wondering about is what do you think of this flight controller first of all, and these Escs

I am open for suggestions on replacements to both of them but there is one caviot. It has to be on Amazon with prime shipping or fast shipping because I have to have this thing working in 10 days (I am planning to bring it on a vacation to the smokey mountains) So my options are quite limited So I am not sure what to pick....

19 hours ago, jerrytheberry126 said:

So I almost have my build finalized (you can see the forum thread with all of my part choices here) But what I am curious/wondering about is what do you think of this flight controller first of all, and these Escs

I am open for suggestions on replacements to both of them but there is one caviot. It has to be on Amazon with prime shipping or fast shipping because I have to have this thing working in 10 days (I am planning to bring it on a vacation to the smokey mountains) So my options are quite limited So I am not sure what to pick....

If you're spending $35 on an FC and pdb, consider the cl racing f4 or the jb f4, both available on normal fpv retailers like Getfpv and raceday quads. For the ESCs, I still recommend Spedix. I've never really had a problem with them and they're cheap. 

ASU

• 3 weeks later...

So I have just put my Quad together and It seems like I am having issues with flashing the clracing f4s. when I flash it it lets me connect to at first with slow blinks on the indicator light, then when power cycled it goes straight into Dfu mode. thoughts?

Also, I am curious about the board selection for beta flight there are two options:  the CL_RACINGF4 or CLRACINGF4. Neither of them has an s in the name so this is a bit confusing 

PS: Sorry about the double posting I am not sure how to delete my first post

So I have just put my Quad together and It seems like I am having issues with flashing the clracing f4s. when I flash it it lets me connect to at first with slow blinks on the indicator lights, then when power cycled it goes straight into Dfu mode. thoughts?

I've had that issue @jerrytheberry126 when I accidentally flashed the wrong firmware to my flight controller. But it could very easily be something else.

I still need to put my new flight controller in my quad.

15 hours ago, jerrytheberry126 said:

So I have just put my Quad together and It seems like I am having issues with flashing the clracing f4s. when I flash it it lets me connect to at first with slow blinks on the indicator lights, then when power cycled it goes straight into Dfu mode. thoughts?

Is there something wrong with your boot button? Maybe the pins are shorted? 

ASU

So I have an interesting problem. Never seen this before. I have an RDQ Mach 2 VTX in one of my quads and it has stopped responding to inputs. I tell it to change channels via smart audio, it doesn't. However, the little display on the back says that it changed channel. If I try to use the button on the transmitter, it behaves the same way. It seems like it's stuck transmitting on 5680~ at 800mw, no matter what I tell it to do. Thoughts? 

https://youtu.be/so5HynkWw0U

ASU

ok so it has been a few days I am still troubleshooting this.... the boot button is definitely not shorted and it still boots into dfu mode. Is this a driver issue or something? 

22 hours ago, jerrytheberry126 said:

ok so it has been a few days I am still troubleshooting this.... the boot button is definitely not shorted and it still boots into dfu mode. Is this a driver issue or something? 

I guess you could try reinstalling the zadig driver? 

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I guess you could try reinstalling the zadig driver? 

I really like the impulseRC driver fixer - I've had better luck with that on all my quads than with the zadig method.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

10 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I really like the impulseRC driver fixer - I've had better luck with that on all my quads than with the zadig method.

I've never tried it, but only Zadig has worked for me. Project Blue Falcon (RIP :( ) made a great video about it. 

If that doesn't work, definitely try the Impulse driver fixer.

ASU

hahaha Man haven't had a single FC Issue since going raceflight, even bought a spare and its been sitting in the draw collecting dust :) 

Know Hacken hates them, but best thing I ever bought for my drone! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

33 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Man haven't had a single FC Issue since going raceflight, even bought a spare and its been sitting in the draw collecting dust :) 

Know Hacken hates them, but best thing I ever bought for my drone! 

they've calmed down since they rebranded to Flight One. I still don't like the guy at the helm tho. Can't deny the out of the box performance and how smooth it is, but I don't think Butterflight is far behind if you put the time in and are willing to spend time fine tuning things. 

One thing I've really come to appreciate is the AIO flight controller (FC + PDB). The Bardwell F4 is amazing, so easy to wire, and it's not crowded. Plus it removes a board from your whole rig, which is really nice. If Flight One could do that, I would be less prejudiced against them.

ASU

18 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

they've calmed down since they rebranded to Flight One. I still don't like the guy at the helm tho. Can't deny the out of the box performance and how smooth it is, but I don't think Butterflight is far behind if you put the time in and are willing to spend time fine tuning things. 

One thing I've really come to appreciate is the AIO flight controller (FC + PDB). The Bardwell F4 is amazing, so easy to wire, and it's not crowded. Plus it removes a board from your whole rig, which is really nice. If Flight One could do that, I would be less prejudiced against them.

I can agree there, that would be a nice addition, but think its acuase they went the other direction and do the PDB+ESC's in a 4in1 board, which I will never run. seen too many where 1 ESC goes and you have to throw away the whole board. no thanks, I'd rather stick with them on the arms and easy to replace. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

• 4 months later...

Is butterflight still a thing?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

14 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Is butterflight still a thing?

I believe so, I've taken a bit of a hiatus from FPV because of school and lack of interest so I'm not really sure. Knowing the developers of the Helio stuff, I'd imagine it's  still going, but again, I haven't been following the industry.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I believe so, I've taken a bit of a hiatus from FPV because of school and lack of interest so I'm not really sure. Knowing the developers of the Helio stuff, I'd imagine it's  still going, but again, I haven't been following the industry.

Me too, ive prob spent over 1k. and im trying to force myself back into it

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

23 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

Me too, ive prob spent over 1k. and im trying to force myself back into it

Image result for those are rookie numbers gif

ASU

On 12/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, Hackentosher said:

Image result for those are rookie numbers gif

I've spent over $1k on Tx's alone...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I've spent over $1k on Tx's alone...

Holy hell I forgot about your fr-sky kink

ASU

On 12/14/2018 at 2:44 PM, Hackentosher said:

Holy hell I forgot about your fr-sky kink

Right? Thankfully, I haven't accrued any more since last time I was active - now I just haven't flown for months and they all sit around gathering dust...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

• 3 months later...

Its been like forever since I've posted here but well a lot's happened since then. Also sorry for being so naive and ignorant earlier on this thread I kind didn't understand things. Since then ive joined an FRC robotics team and well know a lot more about electronics and realize how dumb I was and kind of still am but yeah. Anyways I decided to post here because I'm starting a new quad build. I have been flying my 5 inch for the past year or so but my flying field got taken over by developers and so I have to drive pretty far away to have enough space to comfortably fly my 5 inch. I'm currently planning out a smaller build, still deciding between a 3-inch build or something much smaller but just wanted to say hi after like 2 years. Also, what are you all working on?

3 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Its been like forever since I've posted here but well a lot's happened since then. Also sorry for being so naive and ignorant earlier on this thread I kind didn't understand things. Since then ive joined an FRC robotics team and well know a lot more about electronics and realize how dumb I was and kind of still am but yeah. Anyways I decided to post here because I'm starting a new quad build. I have been flying my 5 inch for the past year or so but my flying field got taken over by developers and so I have to drive pretty far away to have enough space to comfortably fly my 5 inch. I'm currently planning out a smaller build, still deciding between a 3-inch build or something much smaller but just wanted to say hi after like 2 years. Also, what are you all working on?

Lol I haven't flown in months, I think I got half a battery in in October, crashed, broke some things, and haven't bothered to fix it since. I've been too busy at college and at my job to keep up with the industry, let alone fly. It doesn't help that I no longer have access to a car, and my university is within spitting distance of an international Airport (were literally right under the landing pattern, maybe 2 miles away). 

I think I'm also suffering from a bit of burnout as I went pretty hard in the hobby for my last two years of high school. Now I'm working on a big energy project at work, including custom PCB design work (it's a lot to get into), but also a lot of little side projects around general maintenance and upgrades of the lab I work at. I now have the funds to support fpv, but no time, no real way to get to proper spots, and not too many great places to fix everything. Dorm life is cramped and the best place to solder is either in the bathroom or on the floor. 

Spoiler

IMG_20180903_001303.thumb.jpg.f22b26b1218df93d8b336d467d6f0952.jpg

It's not ideal. Perhaps this summer I'll put my 5" back together, rebuild my 6" (again), and get out and fly. I'm planning on buying a car after the semester is over, so I'll be able to get to more suitable locations to burn a battery. We'll just see if I can put up with the Arizona heat, or fly at night. 

ASU

@Hackentosher I wish you the best and hope you have time to get back into flying, that really sucks :( 

Sorry if I look really stupid but I wanted to run by the build I was planning before I built it. 

frame: https://www.banggood.com/X2-ELF-88mm-Micro-Brushless-FPV-Racing-Frame-Kit-3K-Carbon-Fiber-p-1146235.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN

flight controller aio stack: https://www.banggood.com/Super_S-F4-2S-Flight-Controller-Built-in-Betaflight-OSD-Super_S-BS06D-4in1-Blheli_S-6A-ESC-for-RC-Drone-p-1168772.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN

motors: https://www.banggood.com/4-X-Racerstar-Racing-Edition-1104-BR1104-6500KV-1-2S-Brushless-Motor-for-100-120-150-RC-Multirotor-p-1120433.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN

battery: https://www.banggood.com/Tiger-Power-7_4V-450mAh-60C-2S-Lipo-Battery-JST-Plug-p-1195334.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN

propellers: https://www.banggood.com/6-Pairs-Emax-AVAN-Micro-2-Inch-4-blade-RC-Drone-FPV-Racing-Propeller-Red-for-11XX-4500-6500KV-Motor-p-1277598.html?rmmds=mywishlist&ID=229&cur_warehouse=CN

fpv camera: https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-DVR03-DVR-AIO-5_8G-72CH-025mW50mW200mW-Switchable-VTX-520TVL-14-Cmos-FPV-Camera-p-1117419.html?rmmds=mywishlist&cur_warehouse=CN

reciever: https://www.banggood.com/IRangX-Tiny-2_4G-6CH-Flysk-Receiver-Compatible-with-Flysky-PPM-Output-for-Eachine-QX80-QX90-QX95-p-1089802.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

the receiver choice is just because I already have one and so it would be very easy to use but I also have a much larger flysky i86b receiver which is what I use on my 5 inch and all my plane builds.

Thank you so much for reading through this and sorry if I did something really stupid!