Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
4 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

What feature drew you to it. At $60 its pricy 

I hadn't seen this before, thank god they finally got rid of that awful layout

ASU

5 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

What feature drew you to it. At $60 its pricy 

It is pricey, but I was drawn to it for a few reasons.

First off, it's an F7 board, which I think is exciting. I'm going to be doing a pretty insane build with it, I think, and I'd like to have the faster processing of the F7, and I love the fact that, like an F3, all UARTs are invertable (for me, Sbus, S Port, SmartPort, LEDs, and possibly GPS will all be used, so having more inverted UARTs is important, as is having more UARTs) and that there are more.

I also like the layout of the board, and I want to support the developers of betaflight, as they put a ridiculous amount of time into this little hobby of ours.

So, I'm willing to pay a little more for all that (plus, the Omnibus F7 isn't much (any?) cheaper...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Here's the video of me losing my quad...

We came back the next morning, but the tide was all the way in, so there was really no way to get the thing.

Fortunately, I didn't have a gopro on it or anything, it was just the quad and the battery that I lost.

Flying starts around the 30 second mark, if you're wondering.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

15 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Here's the video of me losing my quad...

We came back the next morning, but the tide was all the way in, so there was really no way to get the thing.

Fortunately, I didn't have a gopro on it or anything, it was just the quad and the battery that I lost.

Flying starts around the 30 second mark, if you're wondering.

Oh noes :( did it fail safe? That was heart breaking. 

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Oh noes :( did it fail safe? That was heart breaking. 

I kind of think so. I was at full throttle when she ran into the mountain.

It would make sense, as the Tx antenna was essentially pointing straight at the quad, and bot of the Rx antennae were mounted at the back of the quad, perpendicular to the arms, really close in, so pretty much all of the carbon would have been between me and the Rx, not to mention, the antenna on the Tx was at its weakest orientation.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Im doing research on AIO's it seems like f7's fail a lot. in terms of reliability and feature set

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

Im doing research on AIO's it seems like f7's fail a lot. in terms of reliability and feature set

I can't Do AIO's same reason I can't do 4ia1's I just can't bring myself to throw away a whole board because 1 part of it failed. like basically throwing out 3 perfectly good ESC's cause 1 failed. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I finally got my Kore V2 up and running! It's absolutely lovely.

Also, it's amazing how good your range can be on a quad when you start using a good module in your goggles. I just got a pair of FatShark HD2 goggles, and I installed the latest FuriousFPV True-D module with an immersionRC patch and TBS triumph. The difference between that and my DominatorV2s with the nexwave module is absolutely night a day.

Of course, the only footage I have is about a 15 second flight after I was having a ton of fun for 3 or four packs... Oh well! It was amazing.

(I also LOVE the Eagle Pro 2... It's a great camera and a lot clearer than other cameras I've used...)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I really need to get a better video module, but I also need more batteries... I can't have both... 

I guess batteries are more temporary while a proper video setup will last longer. 

ASU

Got sick of watching all you southerns fly so I charged up a couple batteries and braved the sub 0 (-19³c or -2.2³f)  temps for a couple quick flights...  Ran into a issue with what seems to be the OSD freezing after a couple minutes of flying. All my other similar drones have always handled the cold perfectly only difference being this one is running the BetaFlight OSD but iI'm open to thoughts.  Of course the go-pro battery lasted about 19 seconds so it was dead weight the entire run...

Forgive the subpar flying it literally been months since I touched anything other than my tiny7 and fingers have issues exposed at those temps....

@JokerProductionOh my, that's cold ! I know when you overdo the liquid nitrogen on a cpu, it'll start acting up, so maybe the components on your flight controller were experiencing a similar effect? Obviously at a higher temperature since the little microprocessors aren't built to the same standards, but perhaps that's what was happening? 

ASU

2 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I finally got my Kore V2 up and running! It's absolutely lovely.

Also, it's amazing how good your range can be on a quad when you start using a good module in your goggles. I just got a pair of FatShark HD2 goggles, and I installed the latest FuriousFPV True-D module with an immersionRC patch and TBS triumph. The difference between that and my DominatorV2s with the nexwave module is absolutely night a day.

Of course, the only footage I have is about a 15 second flight after I was having a ton of fun for 3 or four packs... Oh well! It was amazing.

(I also LOVE the Eagle Pro 2... It's a great camera and a lot clearer than other cameras I've used...)

Are you willing to rent/sell your dominatorv2, i need some goggles. Since all my quad stuff got stolen.

- Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

@JokerProductionOh my, that's cold ! I know when you overdo the liquid nitrogen on a cpu, it'll start acting up, so maybe the components on your flight controller were experiencing a similar effect? Obviously at a higher temperature since the little microprocessors aren't built to the same standards, but perhaps that's what was happening? 

Cold... thats the warmest its been in almost 2months so I had to take advantage of it.  Its only the video that is being affected still flies perfectly fine.  Watching it back now though I notice the OSD is not distorting so it may be camera related but its the same HS1177 I run on all my mini quads and never experienced this before in even colder weather.  May try just switching cameras as a simple place to start.  If not guess I'm just stuck with one of my other quads for the arctic flying... ( but I feel spoiled with the OSD on a mini quad now)

Seems last time I flew was actually Sept 7.  trying out night flying I think I prefer it...

17 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Are you willing to rent/sell your dominatorv2, i need some goggles. Since all my quad stuff got stolen.

oh noes :( that absolutely sucks man.

I have some old predator V2s, I'll do $100 shipped to the lower 48. I also have some red bottoms and a frame I can let go of for cheap.

ASU

15 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

Cold... thats the warmest its been in almost 2months so I had to take advantage of it.  Its only the video that is being affected still flies perfectly fine.  Watching it back now though I notice the OSD is not distorting so it may be camera related but its the same HS1177 I run on all my mini quads and never experienced this before in even colder weather.  May try just switching cameras as a simple place to start.  If not guess I'm just stuck with one of my other quads for the arctic flying... ( but I feel spoiled with the OSD on a mini quad now)

Seems last time I flew was actually Sept 7.  trying out night flying I think I prefer it...

I've noticed the hs1177 starts to black in and out after they've seen enough abuse. Seen very similar symptoms across two cameras. Plug in a known good camera to the quad and see if the problem goes away.

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

oh noes :( that absolutely sucks man.

I have some old predator V2s, I'll do $100 shipped to the lower 48. I also have some red bottoms and a frame I can let go of for cheap.

let me see about the goggles. I kinda wanna splurge on baller motors now. Whats the frame?

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

let me see about the goggles. I kinda wanna splurge on baller motors now. Whats the frame?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2659784-Mad-Hatter-(and-friends!)-from-BowTie-Multirotors bow tie multirotors mad hatter. It's an old design that's not really supported anymore, but it's solid and I still like how mine flies. I'll do a full frame and a set of motors for $50. It sucks that you got all your stuff stolen, least I can do is help a bro out with some deals. That being said, I understand the desire to take the opportunity to splurge :) 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2659784-Mad-Hatter-(and-friends!)-from-BowTie-Multirotors bow tie multirotors mad hatter. It's an old design that's not really supported anymore, but it's solid and I still like how mine flies. I'll do a full frame and a set of motors for $50. It sucks that you got all your stuff stolen, least I can do is help a bro out with some deals. That being said, I understand the desire to take the opportunity to splurge :) 

looks like a pain to build in. I kinda wanna build in a qav 210, is that weird?

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

looks like a pain to build in. I kinda wanna build in a qav 210, is that weird?

It's not that bad if you're used to tight runs. A nice FC/PDB combo really helps.

Yeah a little weird, my friend has a qav R, and that's a dated design. The qav210 was even before that. Might I suggest the armattan Rooster? It's basically a Chameleon with replaceable arms and titanium parts instead of aluminum.

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

It's not that bad if you're used to tight runs. A nice FC/PDB combo really helps.

Yeah a little weird, my friend has a qav R, and that's a dated design. The qav210 was even before that. Might I suggest the armattan Rooster? It's basically a Chameleon with replaceable arms and titanium parts instead of aluminum.

It seems like repairs take longer. How much is a rooster? Im too lazy atm

- Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

It seems like repairs take longer. How much is a rooster? Im too lazy atm

Replacing an arm is a lot easier than the whole baseplate. 

I think the rooster is either $95 or 100.

ASU

15 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

15 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

It could be that the sensor is getting some condensation on it, and that's affecting your video?

I'm going to grab the Runcam night eagle for my next camera, and do a build dedicated to night flying. I think that will be pretty cool!

14 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

There's also the Chameleon Titanium now! I might go for that - the way that the arms on the rooster are mounted means that there isn't really enough room behind the FC stack to mount both an x4r/xfire and the unify pro HV...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

18 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

There's also the Chameleon Titanium now! 

I jsut don't get all the hype behind the Chameleon, I think its eff Ugly and there is lighter frames out there

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

5 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I jsut don't get all the hype behind the Chameleon, I think its eff Ugly and there is lighter frames out there

It's not about being light, it's about being balanced and having a warranty

@KaminKevCrew I don't see the point in the titanum chameleon when you could just get the rooster (which is a much better design imo) for the same price.

ASU

24 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

It's not about being light, it's about being balanced and having a warranty

@KaminKevCrew I don't see the point in the titanum chameleon when you could just get the rooster (which is a much better design imo) for the same price.

For me, it's because of the reasons that I stated (the whole thing about having more room in the frame, because the arms are the bottom plate, rather than being mounted on top of it.) Also, not having to worry about as many screws can be a boon to some.

Hey! New SIgnature!