Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
5 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

What controller do you have, the Best suggestion I can make is grab the DRL simulator, the drone is slow and lazy but for a beginner its perfect.  it's just a great way to double your stick time without the constant rebuilds. 

I've always loved their Armadillo frame, one day when I'm all grown up maybe I'll give it a go. 

@Hackentosher Know you won't like it :P but ordered a Revolt yesterday, the local store was doing them on special with a mad discount so decided fuck it worst case its shit and I go back to the naze and buy something else. 

Drl hv is not, ooh budy they fixed the physics. But it's not free anymore :(

Lol I've heard people say the revolt flies better on betaflight than raceflight, flash BF, it's less buggy and supports an open source project. Speaking of, has anyone here heard of the latest drama with raceflight? It's pretty juicy. Bardwell released a video on all the officially confirmed information. 

ASU

3 hours ago, Legolessed said:

I keep trying to go fly but all there is is rain. And more rain?

Lol come out to Arizona, it's so dry right now. 

ASU

spill the beans, whats up with RF?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Lol I've heard people say the revolt flies better on betaflight than raceflight, flash BF, it's less buggy and supports an open source project. Speaking of, has anyone here heard of the latest drama with raceflight? It's pretty juicy. Bardwell released a video on all the officially confirmed information. 

DRL newest update is what put me off so much its still free but you can only fly the crappy drone and basic tracks, I opened it up to practise some Acro (We been hired to do a small airshow on the 1st Jan during sunset, so we RGB'd our drones) and maybe its cuase my stick time is better but man the drone felt like such a slow horrible pig. like a ZMR with 1806 on 3S and horrible props bad. 

I right away went and bought Liftoff and am so so so much happier! 

I'll bear that in mind, First going to give RF a go. 

and yeah Links and type whats happening. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

6 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

What controller do you have, the Best suggestion I can make is grab the DRL simulator, the drone is slow and lazy but for a beginner its perfect.  it's just a great way to double your stick time without the constant rebuilds. 

I've always loved their Armadillo frame, one day when I'm all grown up maybe I'll give it a go. 

@Hackentosher Know you won't like it :P but ordered a Revolt yesterday, the local store was doing them on special with a mad discount so decided fuck it worst case its shit and I go back to the naze and buy something else. 

The Rooster is basically an improved Armadillo, but it has a titanium camera cage, and individually replaceable arms. It's going to be extremely nice, I can't wait to get my hands on one - they aren't out just yet though, unfortunately.

37 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

What's going on with RF? I've been a BF user for some time, and I've always liked it quite a bit.

28 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

DRL newest update is what put me off so much its still free but you can only fly the crappy drone and basic tracks, I opened it up to practise some Acro (We been hired to do a small airshow on the 1st Jan during sunset, so we RGB'd our drones) and maybe its cuase my stick time is better but man the drone felt like such a slow horrible pig. like a ZMR with 1806 on 3S and horrible props bad. 

I right away went and bought Liftoff and am so so so much happier! 

I'll bear that in mind, First going to give RF a go. 

and yeah Links and type whats happening. 

Really the only sim I use is Liftoff. It's great :)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

54 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

What's going on with RF? I've been a BF user for some time, and I've always liked it quite a bit.

A lot of us kinda knew this, but Raceflight did not do a complete rewrite when they went closed source. Their main dev quit after some super shitty conditions and published the code.

ASU

19 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

A lot of us kinda knew this, but Raceflight did not do a complete rewrite when they went closed source. Their main dev quit after some super shitty conditions and published the code.

hhhmmmm didn't know a lot of that, Be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not going to speculate on whats happening behind the scenes ether and this this guys video is damn good at avoiding the youtube hate hype train

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

32 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hhhmmmm didn't know a lot of that, Be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm not going to speculate on whats happening behind the scenes ether and this this guys video is damn good at avoiding the youtube hate hype train

You've never heard of joshy B? The bardwellington? Josh Bardwell? He's pretty great. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's really good at explaining complicated multirotor things. 

As for raceflight, it's super great when that whole drama is in your town and Preston is a dick to everyone who dares share an opinion contrary to what he and his goons have to say. 

ASU

36 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

You've never heard of joshy B? The bardwellington? Josh Bardwell? He's pretty great. I don't agree with everything he says, but he's really good at explaining complicated multirotor things. 

As for raceflight, it's super great when that whole drama is in your town and Preston is a dick to everyone who dares share an opinion contrary to what he and his goons have to say. 

I'll check those guys out, I honestly just fly. most of my time is taken up by work and Circut motor racing so drone time isn't really spent on youtube or things. This thread is prob the most outside exposure I see outside of the few guys in the local flying club.

Yeah remember you saying they local guys. I'm just keen to give it a go, got it on a good deal brand new and we both know my history with FC's so it'll prob explode in a week with me and I'll try the next thing.

Redstone:

Obsidian:

On 15/12/2017 at 1:07 PM, Not_Sean said:

I'm just keen to give it a go, got it on a good deal brand new and we both know my history with FC's so it'll prob explode in a week with me and I'll try the next thing.

From Ace Company? I noticed it was on sale when looking at escs and motors, my quad burned another esc (this one literally caught fire) and the problem followed the motor I moved troubleshooting the last one so now I'm wondering if it's the motor that's causing the problem.

5 hours ago, Daysy said:

From Ace Company? I noticed it was on sale when looking at escs and motors, my quad burned another esc (this one literally caught fire) and the problem followed the motor I moved troubleshooting the last one so now I'm wondering if it's the motor that's causing the problem.

hahaha Yeah grabbed it off Ace, and I can say after a weekend of flying,

Holy crap the difference between the Revolt and my Lux is huge! not saying buy a Revolt but I am saying buy a High-end FC, the whole drone is so much smoother through the air. been having a great time flying! 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

12 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Yeah grabbed it off Ace, and I can say after a weekend of flying,

Holy crap the difference between the Revolt and my Lux is huge! not saying buy a Revolt but I am saying buy a High-end FC, the whole drone is so much smoother through the air. been having a great time flying! 

Are you running RF on there? From what I understand, tf flies smoother out of the box because of a less conservative default tune and filters. Glad you like how it flies. 

ASU

27 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Are you running RF on there? From what I understand, tf flies smoother out of the box because of a less conservative default tune and filters. Glad you like how it flies. 

Yeah decided to try RF, and honestly, I've only ever flow stock tunes :P but so far this one the best. Also, its got RGB flashing in the LED setup which makes me so happy compared to the lame BF LED options. 

Finally got my Disco Spider in the Air :P 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

So i've been designing this plane to be 3d printed for the last lil while now, what does everyone think? I know it's not a multirotor, but i think it's in the spirit of this thread. The idea is to have a printed plane inspired by the P-51 and this thing, but with some more modern lines. I know it's missing a tail, but I've just been slowly working on it.

Spoiler

5a37539614946_printedplane.thumb.jpg.0ecb7353e7ac355f7873e8733f8190d0.jpg

ASU

On 12/13/2017 at 5:25 PM, Hackentosher said:

Lol come out to Arizona, it's so dry right now. 

It stopped raining today!!!........... theres only 40 mph winds to deal with........ :(

On 12/18/2017 at 6:37 PM, Hackentosher said:

So i've been designing this plane to be 3d printed for the last lil while now, what does everyone think? I know it's not a multirotor, but i think it's in the spirit of this thread. The idea is to have a printed plane inspired by the P-51 and this thing, but with some more modern lines. I know it's missing a tail, but I've just been slowly working on it.

Hide contents

5a37539614946_printedplane.thumb.jpg.0ecb7353e7ac355f7873e8733f8190d0.jpg

I Like!! But same time I really like that Spitfire one! I'm keen to get my mate to print me one, could be great fun

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

I Like!! But same time I really like that Spitfire one! I'm keen to get my mate to print me one, could be great fun

I would have printed the spitfire already, but it's too thin for my printer. I had to drill out the nozzle so now I can't do fine details. I guess now I have more of a reason to finish it lol.

ASU

55 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

So heli's are multirotors because of the antitorque rotor, right?

lol I think this thread is basically anything rc that flies. Bonus points for FPV.

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

lol I think this thread is basically anything rc that flies. Bonus points for FPV.

hell i'm even loose on Flies, if you got a sick RC project go for it, Ideally not Nitro cars, but electric stuff I'm sure we can all get behind 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

Ideally not Nitro cars, but electric stuff I'm sure we can all get behind 

Ummm, what? Why not nitro or gas?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

14 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Ummm, what? Why not nitro or gas?

Nitro is sick, those engines with those little heatsink are awesome. I stumbled upon a gas powered multirotor project on YouTube a while ago, two engines driving all four props, with collective pitch to adjust the thrust. 

ASU

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Nitro is sick, those engines with those little heatsink are awesome. 

I've been considering fixing my TMAXX 3.3 this year. It needs a new engine and transmission, so I make take this opportunity to go ahead and upgrade. I haven't ran it in about 5 years now.

If you ask me nitro/gas/jet A is preferable to electric if you don't have to worry about noise/fumes. Of course for aircraft you really want to get good at flying them, and good with the engines, independently of each other, before combining the two. Especially for rotary wing aircraft, which are completely reliant on the power plant to stay airborne. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

13 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

I've been considering fixing my TMAXX 3.3 this year. It needs a new engine and transmission, so I make take this opportunity to go ahead and upgrade. I haven't ran it in about 5 years now.

If you ask me nitro/gas/jet A is preferable to electric if you don't have to worry about noise/fumes. Of course for aircraft you really want to get good at flying them, and good with the engines, independently of each other, before combining the two. Especially for rotary wing aircraft, which are completely reliant on the power plant to stay airborne. 

Ooh fun, put an fpv cam on it and bash it around. 

As far as I know, nitro is still more power dense than lithium, it's more complicated and less reliable. It's also heavier to carry around a big engine, exhaust, all the gearing, fuel tank, and fuel. But there's something about internal combustion that electric can never capture. 

ASU