Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot

flew my mates spare ZMR this weekend, was a 6" on 3S and man was it really nice, the 6" just makes it seem so much smoother. 

Also after 3 packs all 3 of his drones were down, Going to keep a eye out for another TyrantS Frame build up two identical ones so will always have a spare and tune one tune them all :P 

Also @Legolessed i'm dying to build a little whoop think with brushless motors, I like your idea of 1S for indoor 2S for outdoor, Doesn't need to be fast, just no battery sag right off the bat and i'm happy :)

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

3s on 6"? That sounds under powered. 

Yeah You'd think so, but it punched out well and again wasn't super fast but in the corners felt super smooth, that could have just been to its sluggishness but i was going around our track way smoother than ever. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

10 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Yeah You'd think so, but it punched out well and again wasn't super fast but in the corners felt super smooth, that could have just been to its sluggishness but i was going around our track way smoother than ever. 

Lol 8 don't think you've seen a good punch out then. Try a good 4s on a light 5" quad running Cyclones. That's a good punch out. I just remembered I ran 3s and 6" on my first quad. That was slow, but I also wasn't pushing it at all. 

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

Lol 8 don't think you've seen a good punch out then. Try a good 4s on a light 5" quad running Cyclones. That's a good punch out. I just remembered I ran 3s and 6" on my first quad. That was slow, but I also wasn't pushing it at all. 

oh I have flow my mates hyperlight on 4S but to be honest I didn't enjoy it, yeah its stupid fast and punchout was like a rocket ship it did how ever make trying to complete a lap damn near impossible and got me into trouble more often.

Guess its like the DRL series, There drones ain't exactly the F1 cars of drones, but more like a solid drone thats a good balance.  

Oh that though, can someone explain this to me, The first is a local guy who's sponsored by Diatone and the second is my Build, How the hell is my one that much lighter when Its got that big frame and I didn't bother going for anything light or latest. just doesn't add up. yeah mine doesn't have props but they don't make up the difference. 

19956946_1927285030821429_2503602547504081951_o.jpg

IMG_2932.JPG

Redstone:

Obsidian:

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

oh I have flow my mates hyperlight on 4S but to be honest I didn't enjoy it, yeah its stupid fast and punchout was like a rocket ship it did how ever make trying to complete a lap damn near impossible and got me into trouble more often.

Guess its like the DRL series, There drones ain't exactly the F1 cars of drones, but more like a solid drone thats a good balance.  

Oh that though, can someone explain this to me, The first is a local guy who's sponsored by Diatone and the second is my Build, How the hell is my one that much lighter when Its got that big frame and I didn't bother going for anything light or latest. just doesn't add up. yeah mine doesn't have props but they don't make up the difference. 

19956946_1927285030821429_2503602547504081951_o.jpg

IMG_2932.JPG

You probably had issues with the floss because you're not used to the power. Once you've flown it for a while and you know how it flies, you can put your quad anywhere. 

That quad should not weigh nearly 400g all up. I know those. Motors are 2306, but that's a lot. Like a lot a lot. Heavy motors can add up though, a quad with motors 10g heavier than  a quad with lighter motors is going to weigh at least 40g more. 

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

You probably had issues with the floss because you're not used to the power. Once you've flown it for a while and you know how it flies, you can put your quad anywhere. 

That quad should not weigh nearly 400g all up. I know those. Motors are 2306, but that's a lot. Like a lot a lot. Heavy motors can add up though, a quad with motors 10g heavier than  a quad with lighter motors is going to weigh at least 40g more. 

Yeah true, guess more stick time. Once my Tyrant finally gets into the air I can focusing on learning 1 drone and will grab some 4S soon.

Yeah I agree, but also 70g is big! and my motors are also super bulky tanks  guess the motors+props could make the gap, but that still means they the same weight, which seems mental when you look at both of them. 

Only two other places I can see the weight, i'm running a VTX03 (super tiny)  where as he's prob running that Diatone SP3 thiny or a TBS, and Camera. He's got a swift on there where as I'm using a tiny ebay special. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

5 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Yeah true, guess more stick time. Once my Tyrant finally gets into the air I can focusing on learning 1 drone and will grab some 4S soon.

Yeah I agree, but also 70g is big! and my motors are also super bulky tanks  guess the motors+props could make the gap, but that still means they the same weight, which seems mental when you look at both of them. 

Only two other places I can see the weight, i'm running a VTX03 (super tiny)  where as he's prob running that Diatone SP3 thiny or a TBS, and Camera. He's got a swift on there where as I'm using a tiny ebay special. 

Maybe the other electronics? Doesn't the Tyrant have a custom pdb and flight controller setup? 

ASU

10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Maybe the other electronics? Doesn't the Tyrant have a custom pdb and flight controller setup? 

Yeah its got a full frame one, but that one will prob add more weight as its full of JST connectors and so many Caps. Flight controller in my one was a Omnibus with the SD card, think he was using a Brain FC so normal FC. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

@Not_Sean I know this was a while back but you can actually get pretty decent punch from brushed motors. I built a 30-40gram quad with 2s and it punched really nicely. I'm planning out my.next.build but I'm in a dilemma. I want something big enough that I can put a camera on it. I'm.thinking one of those 720p mini cameras, but it's needs to also be relatively quite. I'm thinking 180mm? Or maybe 150? Or 130? I kinda want to run this on 3s or 2s because all my airplane batteries are 3s and I don't have a 4s charger. Though my plane batteries are only rated for 30c so idk. I also already own a 130mm frame. So that helps too.

@Legolessed oh its no doubt that brushed don't have punch the issue I had with the tiny whoop I few was it was like 30 seconds of good flight time than a minute of sag granted that used tiny 1s batteries but i just wasn't impressed at all. thats the only reason I want something bigger so it can carry a decent battery.

So my new FC arrived last night and boy did I have a "Fun" night, so its a Betaflight FC but apparently fully supported in dRonin, so fired up dRonin and couldn't find the FC, not a problem, fired up Beta couldn't find the FC, downloaded that ImmersionRC driver tool and boom Beta picked up and i updated the firmware, but dRonin still couldn't pick it up, so read somewhere to use the dRonin revolution firmware on the F4 V1, did that through Beta and "Bricked" it after possibly a hour finally got it back up, ended up having to download the beta firmware and use Raceflight to flash it as beta wouldn't do it even in DFU mode.  Was so bleak for that hour that I had lost another FC. 

But this weekend will finally get to maiden my Tyrant

Redstone:

Obsidian:

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

@Legolessed oh its no doubt that brushed don't have punch the issue I had with the tiny whoop I few was it was like 30 seconds of good flight time than a minute of sag granted that used tiny 1s batteries but i just wasn't impressed at all. thats the only reason I want something bigger so it can carry a decent battery.

So my new FC arrived last night and boy did I have a "Fun" night, so its a Betaflight FC but apparently fully supported in dRonin, so fired up dRonin and couldn't find the FC, not a problem, fired up Beta couldn't find the FC, downloaded that ImmersionRC driver tool and boom Beta picked up and i updated the firmware, but dRonin still couldn't pick it up, so read somewhere to use the dRonin revolution firmware on the F4 V1, did that through Beta and "Bricked" it after possibly a hour finally got it back up, ended up having to download the beta firmware and use Raceflight to flash it as beta wouldn't do it even in DFU mode.  Was so bleak for that hour that I had lost another FC. 

But this weekend will finally get to maiden my Tyrant

Sounds like quite the night xD I built a 2s brushed quad and it has a ton of punch compared to what you'd think it would have.

Just now, Legolessed said:

Sounds like quite the night xD I built a 2s brushed quad and it has a ton of punch compared to what you'd think it would have.

yeah little 2s >90 seems like the way to go, I'll start looking at frames and such. Also got another project on the cars so might have to hold on the TinyTerror 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

2 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

yeah little 2s >90 seems like the way to go, I'll start looking at frames and such. Also got another project on the cars so might have to hold on the TinyTerror 

Ooh nice name xD the nice thing about brushed quads is they are so dang cheap. I built mine for $25

On 7/30/2017 at 11:03 AM, Hackentosher said:

Lol that doesn't sound like 6s. Exploding props SUCKS, had it happen to me when I ran DAL 6" triblades. Start at 3:08 unless you want to see some bad flying. 

1800kv 6S. i have 2000kv and 2300kv setups on 6S as well.

I'm planning out a build right now that's 160mm but 1306 motors are few and far between compared to bigger or smaller motors. Is it worth it or should I go bigger? Would I even notice the difference between 160 and 180mm that much?

7 hours ago, Legolessed said:

I'm planning out a build right now that's 160mm but 1306 motors are few and far between compared to bigger or smaller motors. Is it worth it or should I go bigger? Would I even notice the difference between 160 and 180mm that much?

Get the brother hobby 1407. I don't think you'll notice much difference in frame size. 

ASU

13 hours ago, Legolessed said:

if you going 1306 motors and can still go smaller if you want. know Banggoods got those Racestar ones while not amazing lots of guys I know are running them with little issues. but shipping is the bitch 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

I finally got to fly, The new Omnibus F4 was dead so returning it, but had enough waiting months for things to arrive so we just threw in a Afro Naze32 board, yeah I loose OSD but at this point I just wanted to fly the frame that I've had for like 3 months. 

And I was not dissapointed, Without tune it gets a bit wobbly when coming down but can sort that out, otherwise was flying laps.. i've never flown lapts and starting on 4s going back to my 3s packs I will be buying 4s right away. the difference was huge. 

overall just so happy, now thinking do i go OSD on the FC or just get a Runcam 2 and use that OSD making things a bit simplere since I do need to replace my cam anyways. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

Seriously, use the OSD on the board. The Betaflight OSD is fucking amazing. You can configure just about everything from the goggles. 15/10 would recommend.

ASU

45 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Seriously, use the OSD on the board. The Betaflight OSD is fucking amazing. You can configure just about everything from the goggles. 15/10 would recommend.

My question there is what exactly would I be configuring ? surely once the drone is tuned and setup the OSD how I want it what more would need to be done ? like how often are you changing things ? 

All I'm going to be using the OSD for is for battery since for some reason the VCC output off my PDB isn't sending the full voltage to my Receiver to send it to my Turnigy Evo, was hoping to use that to monitor voltage still i figured out the OSD thing. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

13 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

My question there is what exactly would I be configuring ? surely once the drone is tuned and setup the OSD how I want it what more would need to be done ? like how often are you changing things ? 

All I'm going to be using the OSD for is for battery since for some reason the VCC output off my PDB isn't sending the full voltage to my Receiver to send it to my Turnigy Evo, was hoping to use that to monitor voltage still i figured out the OSD thing. 

Should I get a betaflight f4 board? They are only $20 on banggood right now. I'm planning.out a build rn.

43 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Should I get a betaflight f4 board? They are only $20 on banggood right now. I'm planning.out a build rn.

For the love of god, haven't you learned your lesson about buying banggood cloned flight controllers? Yes I absolutely love OMNIBUS boards, but please get this instead. http://pirofliprc.com/OMNIBUS-F4-PRO-V3-FLIGHT-CONTROLLER-WITH-CURRENT-SENSOR-OSD-AND-SMARTAUDIO_p_3942.html

Or this one. This one looks nice. http://pirofliprc.com/Matek-F405-FC_p_4010.html

ASU

6 hours ago, Legolessed said:

I've gone through 2 in as many months.. I love the idea of that FC but man been having a nightmare getting it to fly. Hence why I just went with a Naze32. 

5 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

For the love of god, haven't you learned your lesson about buying banggood cloned flight controllers? Yes I absolutely love OMNIBUS boards, but please get this instead. http://pirofliprc.com/OMNIBUS-F4-PRO-V3-FLIGHT-CONTROLLER-WITH-CURRENT-SENSOR-OSD-AND-SMARTAUDIO_p_3942.html

Or this one. This one looks nice. http://pirofliprc.com/Matek-F405-FC_p_4010.html

Thanks I was actually trying to find a place that stocked the non clones as non of the local NZ stores do. How do you rate those Matek ones ? haven't heard much and can get one locally. 

Redstone:

Obsidian: