Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
10 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

25%? I run 0.02, I guess that works out to 2%. 

idkxD i dont know what its supposed to feel like xD

another thing, is there any major flight characteristic difference between a true x frame and a longer x frame?

24 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

idkxD i dont know what its supposed to feel like xD

another thing, is there any major flight characteristic difference between a true x frame and a longer x frame?

Stretched x frames are more stable on pitch which is good for racing. In a race, you dont touch pitch much, but you are rolling all over the place. For freestyle, I like to think that a symmetrical x is better for freestyle because it is more balanced on all axes. 

ASU

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

Is there any disadvantage to going overkill on the c rating?

It's more expensive. Keep in mind that literally every C rating on the market (yes including the nice batteries like R lines and Thunder Power) is a lie. Now that doesn't mean that a nicer battery is going to perform the same as a cheaper battery, but the bigger number is always lie for marketing. 

To answer your question, as long as the c rating can accommodate the load you are putting on it, the only down side of going over kill is costing more. 

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

It's more expensive. Keep in mind that literally every C rating on the market (yes including the nice batteries like R lines and Thunder Power) is a lie. Now that doesn't mean that a nicer battery is going to perform the same as a cheaper battery, but the bigger number is always lie for marketing. 

To answer your question, as long as the c rating can accommodate the load you are putting on it, the only down side of going over kill is costing more. 

ok. im using a 25c battery right now and cnhl only has 20c and 30c. so i was wondering whether to go for 30c or 20c and someone online said if you went over it would die and i knew this wasnt sure i just wanted someone to make sure. do ypu think a 20c chnl battery with a 40c burst rating is similar to an eachine 25c battery? i also found some flareon batteries that have a 20c continual and those are dirt cheap.

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

ok. im using a 25c battery right now and cnhl only has 20c and 30c. so i was wondering whether to go for 30c or 20c and someone online said if you went over it would die and i knew this wasnt sure i just wanted someone to make sure. do ypu think a 20c chnl battery with a 40c burst rating is similar to an eachine 25c battery? i also found some flareon batteries that have a 20c continual and those are dirt cheap.

I have no idea. What is your expected load at full throttle? 

ASU

1 hour ago, Hackentosher said:

I have no idea. What is your expected load at full throttle? 

how do i check that?

Also is there a way to convert a balance plug port into a losi connector or jst connector for charging? And will it still stop charging when the batteries full?

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

how do i check that?

Also is there a way to convert a balance plug port into a losi connector or jst connector for charging? And will it still stop charging when the batteries full?

Look at your motors and how much current they are expected to pull. 

I mean you can cut the connector off and solder on whatever you want, but the jst-xh is the most common balance plug. Leave it on there. 

Yes your lipo charger will stop charging when the battery is full, that's how lipo chargers work. If they didn't, every lipo charger would turn every battery into a bomb. 

ASU

15 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If they didn't, every lipo charger would turn every battery into a bomb. 

Its not just fun Flying Drone, but the Suspense of charging a batter is Exploding with tension :P:P:P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

14 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Look at your motors and how much current they are expected to pull. 

I mean you can cut the connector off and solder on whatever you want, but the jst-xh is the most common balance plug. Leave it on there. 

Yes your lipo charger will stop charging when the battery is full, that's how lipo chargers work. If they didn't, every lipo charger would turn every battery into a bomb. 

oh trust me, my old charger didnt ever stop charging and i would charge everything outside in a ceramic pot using an extension cord and religously check the voltage. even then i had some lipo fires. Thats when i decided to invest in an actual charger, still crappy but is a hell of a lot better. ok, they pull about 15c so 20c should be gouchie. One of my friends is super into rc in general and basically flies and brings his jjrc h36d everyhwhere. Ive given him a pair of goglles so he can see what im flying and is super intrigued but when he put fpv on his h36d it had almost no power. Im thinking of building him a hell whooper because ultimatly, the best way to learn is through practice right? and it will be fun to have an fpv racing buddy xD 

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

oh trust me, my old charger didnt ever stop charging and i would charge everything outside in a ceramic pot using an extension cord and religously check the voltage. even then i had some lipo fires. Thats when i decided to invest in an actual charger, still crappy but is a hell of a lot better. ok, they pull about 15c so 20c should be gouchie. One of my friends is super into rc in general and basically flies and brings his jjrc h36d everyhwhere. Ive given him a pair of goglles so he can see what im flying and is super intrigued but when he put fpv on his h36d it had almost no power. Im thinking of building him a hell whooper because ultimatly, the best way to learn is through practice right? and it will be fun to have an fpv racing buddy xD 

You had frequent lipo fires and that didn't strike you as a problem? Nor your mom?

ASU

19 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

You had frequent lipo fires and that didn't strike you as a problem? Nor your mom?

No I had 2 over the course of about 2 years. My.mom doesn't approve of any part of this hobby??? she liked my brothers hobby of pinewood derby cars better??

Ok I need help. I'm trying to convert my friends ds jjrc h36d into a tiny woop but I think the fpv camera I'm using draws too many amps. It's a tx01 25mw camera. In all the videos I've watched on this everyone's been successful and this one will get off the ground and then just sink back. What's going on? 

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Ok I need help. I'm trying to convert my friends ds jjrc h36d into a tiny woop but I think the fpv camera I'm using draws too many amps. It's a tx01 25mw camera. In all the videos I've watched on this everyone's been successful and this one will get off the ground and then just sink back. What's going on? 

Idk, you gotta give us more than that. Why do you think it's drawing too much current?

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Idk, you gotta give us more than that. Why do you think it's drawing too much current?

i think the camera but i used a similar one on my eachine e010 and it worked fine :( its like there a huge voltage sag because of it. 

i got it. its the weight of the camera. he needs to get one of those hyperlite cameras. i may just build him a tiny woops style aircraft that has 2s support so he can use 1s for indoors and 2s for outdoors. 

Just now, Legolessed said:

i got it. its the weight of the camera. he needs to get one of those hyperlite cameras. i may just build him a tiny woops style aircraft that has 2s support so he can use 1s for indoors and 2s for outdoors. 

what? So the camera is drawing too much power away from the motors? Sounds like the battery can't handle it. Try a larger battery and higher C rating.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

what? So the camera is drawing too much power away from the motors? Sounds like the battery can't handle it. Try a larger battery and higher C rating.

no the physical weight of the camera is too much. i unsoldered the camera and did the same test and i got the same result. The jjrc h36d barely has enough power to fly on its own. I think i may just build a tiny woop for him. With my micro 2s quad i have gotten pretty comfortable cruising around in acro and am now trying to do acrobatics. its crazy hard, gives me a whole new respect for like steele and you actually @Hackentosher , your videos are pretty dang good. Ive watched a lot of them.

i kind of want to build another quad but i dont know what to build xD also right now my current 100mm quad is doing everything i want it to do so idk xD

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

i kind of want to build another quad but i dont know what to build xD also right now my current 100mm quad is doing everything i want it to do so idk xD

A Chameleon.

ASU

Lol that doesn't sound like 6s. Exploding props SUCKS, had it happen to me when I ran DAL 6" triblades. Start at 3:08 unless you want to see some bad flying. 

ASU