Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
7 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Just did a test. The wheels spun at 38,880 rpm. The tires turned into discs on the wheels due to centrifugal force. What have I done???

hahahaha well this is going to be fun, you might have to get some super sticky tires also since you got 4 motors you could do variable speed turning, you might have to wire in a FC and do some magic but could be awesome. 

I'd do two motors just on the back with gears and than you got a drift missile :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

56 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Like the idea, Going to be interesting to see how the tires handle that much power and also the motors having that much resistance when taking off the line, i'd take it slow for first. 

39 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahahaha well this is going to be fun, you might have to get some super sticky tires also since you got 4 motors you could do variable speed turning, you might have to wire in a FC and do some magic but could be awesome. 

I'd do two motors just on the back with gears and than you got a drift missile :P 

none of the gears worked :( when i used them they worked for a bit but then the edges would get sanded and then it wouldnt work anymore. im thinking a belt but you cant add torque that way. im lost :(. i might just use the components for a plane instead xD i have a nutball frame ready for use xD 

4 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Know that feel bro,

I've got one of these Cancer boxes, think everyone started with one at some point :P in fairness I've only got two 3S and a charging board so not like my uses are very high. 

RM2407-10-b50e.JPG

I just upgraded from one of these, mine wasnt reading the voltage right, so it ended up doing an HV charge on the normal charge setting. No Bueno. 

The hitec x2ac plus is the one you are thinking of, I doubt the iron is that great and it's not something I'd necessarily want. I'd rather have that super skinny iron that people have been picking up. 

Dive ✅20170725_152909.thumb.jpg.02e40c5fb7e987ecb98ab43b4cd13d87.jpg

ASU

On 3/31/2017 at 4:03 AM, Legolessed said:

why do brushless motors last so much longer than brushed motors?

dunno if your still unsure why this is but still here we go, it's how they are built, 

this will explain it better than how I can, but quite simply a brushed motor has contact points which change as the motor spins, this contact changes brush ends as it spins wearing the brushes out eventually killing them, where as a brushless motor the small computer (it's a small smart chip rather than a computer normally an ESC) changes the current being sent to each electromagnet changing their polarities as they spin, and so causing the motor to spin, without the need of brushes, this costs more to make but as they last longer this extra cost is quickly forgotten about, unless you burn one out, which is still possible by over currenting them etc. 

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/brushless-motor.htm

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

6 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

dunno if your still unsure why this is but still here we go, it's how they are built, 

this will explain it better than how I can, but quite simply a brushed motor has contact points which change as the motor spins, this contact changes brush ends as it spins wearing the brushes out eventually killing them, where as a brushless motor the small computer (it's a small smart chip rather than a computer normally an ESC) changes the current being sent to each electromagnet changing their polarities as they spin, and so causing the motor to spin, without the need of brushes, this costs more to make but as they last longer this extra cost is quickly forgotten about, unless you burn one out, which is still possible by over currenting them etc. 

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/brushless-motor.htm

Ya I looked it up?? that must have been a while ago ?? thank you though!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Legolessed said:

Ya I looked it up?? that must have been a while ago ?? thank you though!!!!!!!

yea it was, I just got bored and had literally fuck all else to do, so decided lets answer a question that probably already has been answered, considered it was asked a couple of months ago

And more, several more

6 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

yea it was, I just got bored and had literally fuck all else to do, so decided lets answer a question that probably already has been answered, considered it was asked a couple of months ago

xD I can't wait for 4pm today. Cause that's when my Quadcopter parts are coming in?? tenth times the charm right? Though I'm about to bike 25 miles to do a Craigslist deal xD #nocarlife

Edited by Legolessed

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

xD I can't wait for 4pm today. Cause that's when my Quadcopter parts are coming in?? tenth times the charm right? Though I'm about to bike 25 miles to do a Craigslist deal xD #nocarlife

sounds like fun

And more, several more

I just did some follow footage from my dad's car in the middle of nowhere. Super fun! Not as disorienting as I thought it would be. I guess if you're good enough at removing yourself from your body and just focusing on your flying it's not so bad. 

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I just did some follow footage from my dad's car in the middle of nowhere. Super fun! Not as disorienting as I thought it would be. I guess if you're good enough at removing yourself from your body and just focusing on your flying it's not so bad. 

nice!!

i have achieved liftoff!! apparently the 9nth or tenth time is the charm xD and i really need to invest in some more 2s batteries. I have 3s and i have 1s, so ive been converting my 1s batteries into 2s but thats kinda sketchy. so i may get some more 450mah 2s batts. I forgot how fun it is to fly xD

34 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i have achieved liftoff!! apparently the 9nth or tenth time is the charm xD and i really need to invest in some more 2s batteries. I have 3s and i have 1s, so ive been converting my 1s batteries into 2s but thats kinda sketchy. so i may get some more 450mah 2s batts. I forgot how fun it is to fly xD

Get some CHNL 2s and 3s batteries. They're cheap and if they're anything like the 1300 and 1500 4s packs, they're good and cheap. 

ASU

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

Nice man, I'd dying for my stupid FC to arrive. Man just want to fly ! 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

5 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Nice man, I'd dying for my stupid FC to arrive. Man just want to fly ! 

What board did you order? An OMNIBUS?

ASU

Also, pro FPV tip, if you have a phone with an SD card slot, pop your Gopro's card into your phone to download and review footage in the field.

ASU

40 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Get some CHNL 2s and 3s batteries. They're cheap and if they're anything like the 1300 and 1500 4s packs, they're good and cheap. 

ill have to look into that. i have never played with this much power before. Holy crap. It feels amazing though. I just did my usual course around a giant tree and it felt so nice being able to do acrobatics and such without hitting the dirt. also this is my first time using s-bus instead of ppm, i didnt think id notice it but you do, you really do xD Now i just need to get a heck of a lot better at acro mode xD any tips?

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Now i just need to get a heck of a lot better at acro mode xD any tips?

stick time stick time stick time. That's the only way you get better. Sims can help, but it's just never the same thing as flying for real. Sims always have screwy gravity and physics, so fly for real when you can.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

stick time stick time stick time. That's the only way you get better. Sims can help, but it's just never the same thing as flying for real. Sims always have screwy gravity and physics, so fly for real when you can.

ive been too scared to go into acro near my house but i may bike over to a big park and play around with it there. ive just been in horizon mode and angle mode. still feels awesome though xD

Just now, Legolessed said:

ive been too scared to go into acro near my house but i may bike over to a big park and play around with it there. ive just been in horizon mode and angle mode. still feels awesome though xD

Get out of those modes immediately. Fly acro only, you'll progress so much faster.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Get out of those modes immediately. Fly acro only, you'll progress so much faster.

ok. and be prepared to crash a lot xD

Just now, Legolessed said:

ok. and be prepared to crash a lot xD

How touchy are your rates right now? Probably around 400 degrees/second would be good and then maybe some expo. You probably wont crash if you're paying attention to what's going on in your fpv feed.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

How touchy are your rates right now? Probably around 400 degrees/second would be good and then maybe some expo. You probably wont crash if you're paying attention to what's going on in your fpv feed.

okay so lower my rates. lower or raise expo?

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

okay so lower my rates. lower or raise expo?

Do your rates feel fine right now? If so, leave them. If you get into a situation where you need to abort mission, knowing your rates like the back of your hand let you do a quick flick to get you going another direction and save your ass. Expo just softens the center of the stick which allows you more finesse when you're putting around trees. It's all to feel, but some expo might not be a bad idea.

ASU

8 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Do your rates feel fine right now? If so, leave them. If you get into a situation where you need to abort mission, knowing your rates like the back of your hand let you do a quick flick to get you going another direction and save your ass. Expo just softens the center of the stick which allows you more finesse when you're putting around trees. It's all to feel, but some expo might not be a bad idea.

400 degrees felt great and i liked 25% expo the most. im already looking at more batteries xD

16 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

400 degrees felt great and i liked 25% expo the most. im already looking at more batteries xD

25%? I run 0.02, I guess that works out to 2%. 

ASU