Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
Just now, Legolessed said:

they draw 27 amps with a 5045 prop on 4s so 30 amp at least

ok, the tutorial included a 4X 20 A though?

so are 4X ESC any good?

sorry for all the questions ;)

1 minute ago, lolimpol said:

ok, the tutorial included a 4X 20 A though?

so are 4X ESC any good?

sorry for all the questions ;)

but did they us those same motors with the same prop and the same bat on the tutorial? i gave you what the maximum amp draw of those motors is according to banggood. do you mean a 4 in one esc board or a kit of 4 esc's?

but did they us those same motors with the same prop and the same bat on the tutorial? i gave you what the maximum amp draw of those motors is according to banggood. do you mean a 4 in one esc board or a kit of 4 esc's?

yes they used the same props.

And I ment ESC 4 in one board.

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

hey I just found this https://www.banggood.com/Realacc-D215-FPV-Racing-Frame-w-Racerstar-BR2305S-2400KV-Motor-RS40A-V2-BLHELI_S-ESC-5042-Prop-F4-p-1150699.html?rmmds=category 

is this good bang for my buck?

2 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

6 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

yes they used the same props.

And I ment ESC 4 in one board.

four in one esc boards are very good for weight but if one esc dies you have to replace the entire board. As for that kit, seeing as your not going to be using that frame and the components seperatly would be cheaper, it doesnt have good bang for buck.

four in one esc boards are very good for weight but if one esc dies you have to replace the entire board. As for that kit, seeing as your not going to be using that frame and the components seperatly would be cheaper, it doesnt have good bang for buck.

really? ok, I'll continue finding components.

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

they draw 27 amps with a 5045 prop on 4s so 30 amp at least

You're do realize that ESCs have a burst rating usually 10 amps over they're sustained rating. So a 20 amp esc can usually so 30 amps for ten seconds at a time. I run 20 amp ESCs on my red bottom build that probably peaks at 30-35 amps at full throttle. It's fine. 

As for flight times, you might want consider a bigger motor than a 2205 with a 7 or 8" prop. Also low kv. Probably like low 2000s high 1000. That's how dji achieves 20 minute flight times. Oh and 6s.

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

You're do realize that ESCs have a burst rating usually 10 amps over they're sustained rating. So a 20 amp esc can usually so 30 amps for ten seconds at a time. I run 20 amp ESCs on my red bottom build that probably peaks at 30-35 amps at full throttle. It's fine. 

As for flight times, you might want consider a bigger motor than a 2205 with a 7 or 8" prop. Also low kv. Probably like low 2000s high 1000. That's how dji achieves 20 minute flight times. Oh and 6s.

but doesnt the 27 amps rating mean continuous power draw? which would not work for burst usage?

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

you broke the red bottom right?

so the 2300KV is not good for battery life? what does KV even mean?

Just now, lolimpol said:

kv means rpm per volt, the bigger the prop usually the higher the efficiency and lower kv

kv means rpm per volt

but that means more is good? because you'd have to give less amps for more rpm? or am I stupid?

Just now, lolimpol said:

but that means more is good? because you'd have to give less amps for more rpm? or am I stupid?

a higher kv rating means more power, not more efficiency.

ah like that, ok

5 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

so, I found some better? motors (they were in that combo) and a better? FC. is it worth it?

https://www.banggood.com/BF3_1_5-Omnibus-F4-V2-Flight-Controller-STM32-F405-MCU-Integrated-OSD-Built-in-5V-BEC-Current-Meter-p-1143258.html

https://www.banggood.com/4X-Racerstar-Racing-Edition-2305-BR2305S-2400KV-2-5S-Brushless-Motor-For-X210-X220-250-300-FPV-Racer-p-1149560.html?rmmds=search

(sorry for bothering :S)

1 hour ago, lolimpol said:

No the red bottom is the strongest motor I've ever used. Granted I did just break one when I majorly fucked up, but they're still rock solid. 

2300kv is typically lower over for 5" miniquads, but more kv also means less torque. When you throw on a bigger prop, you gain efficiency, but you need more torque. You can also get more torque by using a bigger stator, so going with like a 2210 1800kv motor would be pretty good for a 7" prop. On 5 or 6s of mostly hovering, I bet you could get 10 or 15 minutes minimum. 

ASU

1 hour ago, lolimpol said:

I've got that FC and its already broken but it came broken so can't really say anything there, I've ordered one without the SD card so I can run dRonin instead of Betaflight (Personal Preference) 

A mate back home is running those motors and he's super happy. You'll be able to get away with 6" on them, another option I saw a guy do is used the ZMR frame and just mounted the gimbal in the center underside and did some super simple stick and pingpong ball landing gear, he's been flying that for a while, using pretty big 4S bats. Its very slow compared to a normal one but does that job. 

Also if you building your own frame maybe even look at doing 8/6 motors each 6" props that should give you pretty good load sharing and can carry a bigger battery. But I really don't know enough on this just throwing out suggestions 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

58 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I've got that FC and its already broken but it came broken so can't really say anything there, I've ordered one without the SD card so I can run dRonin instead of Betaflight (Personal Preference) 

A mate back home is running those motors and he's super happy. You'll be able to get away with 6" on them, another option I saw a guy do is used the ZMR frame and just mounted the gimbal in the center underside and did some super simple stick and pingpong ball landing gear, he's been flying that for a while, using pretty big 4S bats. Its very slow compared to a normal one but does that job. 

Also if you building your own frame maybe even look at doing 8/6 motors each 6" props that should give you pretty good load sharing and can carry a bigger battery. But I really don't know enough on this just throwing out suggestions 

It depends on the kind of camera he wants to carry. If it's just a gopro or other action camera, a 6" quad will be plenty. Throw in 5s and it'll stay in the air forever. 

ASU

It's almost like I'm going on an adventure tomorrow :D

Seriously invest in a good charger. It doesn't seem like it, but it's a great investment, you need to get a nice one. 

20248281_484857278537680_6016382627225884790_o.jpg

ASU

Man, I could do with a new charger, Saw one thats the same as yours but also plugs in the Soldering iron not that is useful :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I have a niceish charger, but it only does 2s and 3s xD. Though everything I do is sketchy so eh xD.

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I have a niceish charger, but it only does 2s and 3s xD. Though everything I do is sketchy so eh xD.

hahaha Know that feel bro,

I've got one of these Cancer boxes, think everyone started with one at some point :P in fairness I've only got two 3S and a charging board so not like my uses are very high. 

RM2407-10-b50e.JPG

Redstone:

Obsidian:

right now im making an rc car and it started as a little brushed thing that was super simple. then i saw my spare 2204 2300kv brushless motor and my 3s batteries and got to work. Now im wiring up everything with brushless power xD this thing is going to be a rocket xD ive finished most of the electronics and am now just putting everything in the frame i made xD 

33 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

right now im making an rc car and it started as a little brushed thing that was super simple. then i saw my spare 2204 2300kv brushless motor and my 3s batteries and got to work. Now im wiring up everything with brushless power xD this thing is going to be a rocket xD ive finished most of the electronics and am now just putting everything in the frame i made xD 

hahaha Like the idea, Going to be interesting to see how the tires handle that much power and also the motors having that much resistance when taking off the line, i'd take it slow for first. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

7 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha Like the idea, Going to be interesting to see how the tires handle that much power and also the motors having that much resistance when taking off the line, i'd take it slow for first. 

Just did a test. The wheels spun at 38,880 rpm. The tires turned into discs on the wheels due to centrifugal force. What have I done???

Just did a ground test and it doesn't have much torque, I'm.goig to do some gearing to slow these motors down and gain a lot more tourqe