Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot
3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

So how your guys builds going ? Lets get some pics. 

My new TyrantS never even got to maiden :( finished setting it up and when I removed the USB the header came with it, So been given a refund, and got a new one without the SD card on the way, that way i can run dRonin instead of Betaflight, and got a proper one this time, not a banggood special :P 

Also got a mate here who's going to try re seat the USB header. 

I flew a local library yesterday. It was awesome! I think my FPV cam on my beater quad is starting to go, and I lost yet another C clip on my T motor F40s. Believe it or not, I'm liking the less powerful build more (RS2205 2300s) over my uber build (T motor F40 Pro 2400kv) as it is easier to control the altitude in tight areas like a parking garage.

ASU

@Hackentosher 

haha I know what you mean, for me though when i started i was on 1806 motors on ZMR frame and there was nothing light or powerful about it but man was it great to learn on, really had a good time flying it, only thing that annoyed the hell out of me in almost every crash a motor broke, but yeah if i could get high quality ones and run them on a 200 frame with 2300kv I'd be happy

Sometimes its more fun to jsut have a nice flight that fly into everything at a million miles a hour. 

That said I'm F-ing dying to fly my one, its the only drone i've got. Have never used it or my Turnigy evo ether.. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

@Hackentosher 

haha I know what you mean, for me though when i started i was on 1806 motors on ZMR frame and there was nothing light or powerful about it but man was it great to learn on, really had a good time flying it, only thing that annoyed the hell out of me in almost every crash a motor broke, but yeah if i could get high quality ones and run them on a 200 frame with 2300kv I'd be happy

Sometimes its more fun to jsut have a nice flight that fly into everything at a million miles a hour. 

That said I'm F-ing dying to fly my one, its the only drone i've got. Have never used it or my Turnigy evo ether.. 

The issue for me between my two rigs is that the throttle response on the F40 quad is very very twitchy. I hit the under side of a bridge when trying to split S it, but the other quad is more manageable in tight spaces. Also the extra minute in flight time is nice xD   

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

The issue for me between my two rigs is that the throttle response on the F40 quad is very very twitchy. I hit the under side of a bridge when trying to split S it, but the other quad is more manageable in tight spaces. Also the extra minute in flight time is nice xD   

hahaha yeah Guess two birds is worth it, one for nice long flights and one for races. 

Hell I'm still on 3S and two 4S when flyign my mates spare one and I'm still enjoying 3S, yeah i'm not the fastest but untill I can nail a lap perfectly I'm not to worried about speed. need control first. And I know 4S helps with punch outs and that but 3S is just more relaxed, and nice long flight times 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

hahaha yeah Guess two birds is worth it, one for nice long flights and one for races. 

Hell I'm still on 3S and two 4S when flyign my mates spare one and I'm still enjoying 3S, yeah i'm not the fastest but untill I can nail a lap perfectly I'm not to worried about speed. need control first. And I know 4S helps with punch outs and that but 3S is just more relaxed, and nice long flight times 

Oh I don't race. Fly 4s only so you can get used to the power. I do remember having a 3s battery and being scared to throw on 4s, but you just gotta do it.

ASU

21 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

So how your guys builds going ? Lets get some pics. 

My new TyrantS never even got to maiden :( finished setting it up and when I removed the USB the header came with it, So been given a refund, and got a new one without the SD card on the way, that way i can run dRonin instead of Betaflight, and got a proper one this time, not a banggood special :P 

Also got a mate here who's going to try re seat the USB header. 

Why dRonin instead of BF?

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

50 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Isn't that a closed source firmware? BF is fantastic right now and it's about to get better on 3.2 as they are adding dynamic filters.

ASU

1 hour ago, LittleCarrot said:

38 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Isn't that a closed source firmware? BF is fantastic right now and it's about to get better on 3.2 as they are adding dynamic filters.

Well as a novice with each,  I really just found dRonin interface and usability way way easier where as Beta i was clicking all over the place to figure out how to get anything done. 

Yes dRonin is closed and does only work on specific Fc's but If you have one I do recommend giving it a go. Also give its Auto tune feature a go, had some mates really impressed with my first drone when I just let auto tune do its thing and later on got more stuck into PIDS 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

6 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Well as a novice with each,  I really just found dRonin interface and usability way way easier where as Beta i was clicking all over the place to figure out how to get anything done. 

Yes dRonin is closed and does only work on specific Fc's but If you have one I do recommend giving it a go. Also give its Auto tune feature a go, had some mates really impressed with my first drone when I just let auto tune do its thing and later on got more stuck into PIDS 

ASU

Just a fun little thing I put together from Sunday's session :)

ASU

anyone been here for the long run? I started FPV in 2010 and built my first quad in early 2011

ive been in this general hobby for a while but my first interest was rc cars and fpv on rc cars xD. 

3 hours ago, Dr. KEK said:

anyone been here for the long run? I started FPV in 2010 and built my first quad in early 2011

Shit man, I started like February of last year, though I discovered FPV about this time in 2015.

ASU

9 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Shit man, I started like February of last year, though I discovered FPV about this time in 2015.

I discovered quads about 6 months ago xD that's if you don't count my proto z or whatever it's called

Received my receiver. I'm going to wire it into my quad and hopefully all will work xD. Everything is working in betaflight using manual control so hopefully it will work. Crossing my fingers, my.toes, my eyes, my brain, and my lungs for this to work. 

Keep us updated 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

i got a nice display of magic smoke so to speak @Not_Sean trial number 8, fail. ive been thinking and i think im just going to get a premade quad and just disect it like i did my first brushed quad and upgrade the hell out of it. im sick of trying different parts and getting smoke, I see a path that could lead to success and im going to take it.

@Legolessed Yeah man, Know them feels, was one of the biggest points of my last build, keep it as simple as possible. 

I also got so close to that, was watching a vid of big name pilots flying some pre builds and they even admitted they were good fun, yeah not going to win any races but lets also be honest at this point I think we all just want to spend more time in the air than in the workshop 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

4 hours ago, Legolessed said:

i got a nice display of magic smoke so to speak @Not_Sean trial number 8, fail. ive been thinking and i think im just going to get a premade quad and just disect it like i did my first brushed quad and upgrade the hell out of it. im sick of trying different parts and getting smoke, I see a path that could lead to success and im going to take it.

How. Do you have a multimeter to check continuity? Like. How? 

As for prebuilds, a lot of people I know started on Wizard 220s. Just buy a replacement camera and from what I hear a thicker top plate as well. 

ASU

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

@Legolessed

I also got so close to that, was watching a vid of big name pilots flying some pre builds and they even admitted they were good fun, yeah not going to win any races but lets also be honest at this point I think we all just want to spend more time in the air than in the workshop 

Yeah there are some pretty good pre-built quads out there, but it's funny you should mention racing. At the end of the day, as long as your miniquad has a half decent motor and weighs less than 700g with a battery and gopro, you're still flying a rocket ship. Like my red bottom quad isn't as powerful as the top of the line, brand newest hype train motor, but it's not slow. Around a race track skill is what matters. The ability to keep the throttle down for as long as possible while not crashing out. You can do that with a wizard and best lighter, more powerful, quads. 

ASU

im just looking for something under 250 grams cause u.s, and something under $100

47 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

im just looking for something under 250 grams cause u.s, and something under $100

uh, the FAA regsitration was proved illegal by a hobbyist. Besides, the registration wasn't a big deal anyway, all you had to do was give your $5 and put your number on your quad.

ASU

39 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

uh, the FAA regsitration was proved illegal by a hobbyist. Besides, the registration wasn't a big deal anyway, all you had to do was give your $5 and put your number on your quad.

Oh?? than anything under $100