Multicopter Megathread

LittleCarrot

What's a multicopter? 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

What's a multicopter? 

In the simplest of terms, a quadcopter, on which features 4 propellers are arranged symmetrically with vertically oriented motor shafts. This is what provides our thrust. Each propeller spins in the opposite direction to its neighbour.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

@Ryan_Vickers can you pin this to the top of hobby electronics please? It would cut down on a lot of unnecessary threads in this sub forum. 

ASU

On 3/26/2017 at 10:00 PM, LittleCarrot said:

Instead of having multiple threads with simple questions with simple answers. I thought we can discuss multi copters in one big one thread

why are there no pentacopters?

Instead of having multiple threads with simple questions with simple answers. I thought we can discuss multi copters in one big one thread

are there any 3 axis camera gimbals that cost less than $40? something that can carry a couple grams?

why do brushless motors last so much longer than brushed motors?

51 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

why are there no pentacopters?

Quads are a great balance, then jump up to octocopter for more capacity. 

are there any 3 axis camera gimbals that cost less than $40? something that can carry a couple grams?

Check banggood. 

why do brushless motors last so much longer than brushed motors?

I think it's because of how the motors are built. 8.5mm brushed motors don't have any cooling so maybe the magnets wear out. Also even the smallest brushless motors are significantly more powerful than brushed motors (referring to tiny whoop style stuff) so there isn't really a point that I see to using them. 

Or you could... You know... Make one post :P

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Check banggood. 

I think it's because of how the motors are built. 8.5mm brushed motors don't have any cooling so maybe the magnets wear out. Also even the smallest brushless motors are significantly more powerful than brushed motors (referring to tiny whoop style stuff) so there isn't really a point that I see to using them. 

if this thread is gonna get pinned, we need a lot of posts lol

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Check banggood. 

i cant find any gimbals :(:( i really want to get some cool footage from my quad but right now whenever i get high enough up to take pics the wind is bad and i need to adjust the quads position. could i make my own gimbal? the camera only weighs a gram or two. i have a crap ton of brushed motors lying around if that would be cheaper to use than brushless.

On 3/27/2017 at 6:21 AM, Hackentosher said:

That's what I tried to do with my So You Want a Drone guide... 

While I'm here, might as well give my fpv channel a little plug https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqIzsMAcngNtFSMlwTJ4v-A

nice vids xD can you check out my channel xD i upload every other day and i know my videos arent great right now but im learning how to do stuff. its also an rc channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-9sVwytBLEbbF2R-I5GvPA

5 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i cant find any gimbals :(:( i really want to get some cool footage from my quad but right now whenever i get high enough up to take pics the wind is bad and i need to adjust the quads position. could i make my own gimbal? the camera only weighs a gram or two. i have a crap ton of brushed motors lying around if that would be cheaper to use than brushless.

http://www.banggood.com/FPV-2-Axis-Brushless-Gimbal-With-Controller-For-DJI-Phantom-GoPro-3-p-908068.html?rmmds=search I don't think a DIY solution using brushed motors will work out too well.

ASU

Sad that there has been no pictures yet.  Time to fix that.

20150722_174904_zpsaawidl0g.jpg

20150831_230135_zpshuwludbs.jpg

20141003_181923_zps21hyvnvc.jpg

20140802_153137_zpsx99ojaxe.jpg

Just a few of the 20+ models i've built.  Been around the hobby long before the phantoms were released.

Flying with a taranis and fatshark dominator v2's

I've also got a obvious special appreciation for tri-copters but the mini quads are definatly the most exciting segment IMO, and most of the time I'm flying low and fast with a 250.

does anyone know a good (DIY) starter quad-/tricopter which is available in the Netherlands. somewhere in the price range up to ~90 usd. (it would be nice if it could carry the load of an action cam)

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

6 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

Sad that there has been no pictures yet.  Time to fix that.

20150722_174904_zpsaawidl0g.jpg

20150831_230135_zpshuwludbs.jpg

20141003_181923_zps21hyvnvc.jpg

20140802_153137_zpsx99ojaxe.jpg

Just a few of the 20+ models i've built.  Been around the hobby long before the phantoms were released.

Flying with a taranis and fatshark dominator v2's

I've also got a obvious special appreciation for tri-copters but the mini quads are definatly the most exciting segment IMO, and most of the time I'm flying low and fast with a 250.

ive also been into the hobby for a while but just havent really gotten into building my own quads, i had a tiny little rtf mini quad with brushed motors and i loved it. I then saw flitetest on youtube and new i had to get into rc planes. i now have to many generations or rc planes that i custom built xDxD but now ive started diy quadcopter building and quad racing lol. im all over the place

2 hours ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

does anyone know a good (DIY) starter quad-/tricopter which is available in the Netherlands. somewhere in the price range up to ~90 usd. (it would be nice if it could carry the load of an action cam)

it depends if you want to race or if you want to shoot aerial video. One can go fast but is very inefficient and usually uses acro mode vs camera quads are usually efficient and very stable and also have long battery lifes, but are slow and big. also do you have a transmitter already or do you need one with the quad?

Just now, Legolessed said:

it depends if you want to race or if you want to shoot aerial video. One can go fast but is very inefficient and usually uses acro mode vs camera quads are usually efficient and very stable and also have long battery lifes, but are slow and big. also do you have a transmitter already or do you need one with the quad?

more for filming, doesn't have to be fast. I don't have a transmitter yet, but I know a place where I can get cheap transmitters.

(I have an Arduino Nano, so it would be awesome if I can use that for controlling it.)

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

2 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

more for filming, doesn't have to be fast. I don't have a transmitter yet, but I know a place where I can get cheap transmitters.

(I have an Arduino Nano, so it would be awesome if I can use that for controlling it.)

You're not going to get a proper filming aircraft for $100. That's the minimum I would spend on the HD cam for the rig (something like a runcam hd). 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

You're not going to get a proper filming aircraft for $100. That's the minimum I would spend on the HD cam for the rig (something like a runcam hd). 

I already have an action cam (sjcam sj4000), I only need things like the frame, controller, motors, etc.

"Aeneas troianus est."

Just now, Hackentosher said:

2 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

i film some aerial video and it isnt awful, even with my 1-2 gram camera. ill edit this post with an attachment to video you would get off of something priced like that

Just now, marten.aap2.0 said:

I already have an action cam (sjcam sj4000), I only need things like the frame, controller, motors, etc.

you already have an action cam? that makes it a lot easier lol, does the $100 include the transmitter or just the quad?

Just now, Legolessed said:

you already have an action cam? that makes it a lot easier lol, does the $100 include the transmitter or just the quad?

exclusive transmitter, I can get that for just a few bucks

"Aeneas troianus est."

Just now, marten.aap2.0 said:

exclusive transmitter, I can get that for just a few bucks

alright, challenge accepted lol