windows 10 issues

w.w.fedele

I have Toshiba Satellite P775D-S7303 that originally had Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10 1+ years ago, and has run with no major issues. Recently during start up the message "preparing automatic repair" appears below the Windows logo followed by a blue screen that says "Recovery

There was a problem with a device connected to your pc

An unexpected I/O error has Occurred.

Error code: 0xc00000e9"

I pressed f8 to access start up options and tried to enter safe mode when another blue screan appers with the text:

"The Operating system couldn't be loaded because the kernel is missing or contains errors.

File: \WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Error code: 0xc00000e9.

You'll need to use recovery tools"

I get this message after I try any option from the start up option menu. I belive that a fresh install of windows from a usb (as my optical drive isn't working) will fix the windows issues, but I am having touble getting into the bios to boot from usb. I have tried tapping or holding all of the "f" keys holding escape for three seconds and then tapping an "f" key, it doesn't seem to matter what I do windows always starts to boot. At this point I am not sure what else to try and any suggestions would be appreciated.

most I/O errors point to a dying HDD. most laptops use "del" to enter bios. does that work? 

No luck tapping or holding the "del" key, I have read that quick start up of windows 8 and 10 can prevent one from accessing the bios. My dad has the same laptop except it is still windows 7 and F2 works for him so I am not sure what is going on. I was worried it could be the HDD failing, is there a way to test that besides swapping HDDs I don't really want to buy a new one if I don't have to.

you could boot with a linux usb and do some hdd diagnostics from there. or if you're not too familiar with linux, you'll probably have to remove that drive from the laptop and connect it to another windows pc either by sata cables or use a usb to sata adapter if you have one, and use a program like CrystalDiskinfo .sometimes, i connect a faulty hdd to another windows pc and just run a chkdsk and it sorts out itself 60% of the time, unless it's an I/O error.