Beats X Review 1 Month later - best 120$ Wireless earphones you can buy ?

In this post you can find my, kind of lengthy, review of the Beats X.

I also included a TL;DR at the bottom for people that don’t care about this piece of poetry I just cranked out of my head during the last 30 minutes ;)

I usually listen to music for 3-5 hours per day, long commute to school, but never felt the need to get anything better than those 30$ in-ear earphones because due to my frequent use they would never survive longer than a few months anyway. It wasn’t until Jaybird announced the first BlueBuds before I was interested in bluetooth earbuds at all but because of the technology being so new and me being so broke I skipped them and later releases. Expensive earbuds lost my attention again, until Apple decided to throw out their Beats X way, like seriously way, before they were ready in september. I gotta defend myself, I had problems with wired earbuds before, like hearing noises through the cable while walking, probably because I bought those cheap unshielded ones, or the cable just straight up limiting your movement while in use.

So anyway I saw the Beats X and thought that they are perfect for me since they have:

• Small driver housing

• A cable connecting them because I wouldn’t want to loose my earbuds

• Somewhat normal looking, although the loop they make is a bit strange

• They are designed to work with iPhones because of that fancy W1 chip

• THEY ARE SYMMETRICAL for the love of god

So I decided to buy them, note that I made that decision in november but after I realized that Apple just used them so the lack of a 3.5mm jack on the iPhone 7 seemed like a smaller deal that it actually is, I had to wait quite a while until they were available.

Soooo To keep it short they didn’t not showed up until motherfin february and I still think that the announcement during the keynote was a big mistake.

Anyway now that I had them for more than a month, I think it’s time to review them so I and you can find out if they are worth it.

The title said that the X’s are 120$ and I was as surprised as you when I found out, that the 3 months Apple Music trial that comes in the box, can be redeemed in form of an iTunes credit for 29.98€, and I guess it’s the same with dollar.

For the unboxing, well it’s an Apple product so the unboxing process is very nice and appropriate for earbuds with a price tag of 150$. They come included with a wide variance of eartips to fit your ears, even those funky double sealing once that kind of look like you put a screw in your ear canal and also with ear-fins and a short USB Type A to Lightning cable.  Anyway how are the Beats X in a daily usage ?

Well for me they work quite well, the battery has only died once on me and that was because I forgot to charge them overnight but because I always carry a powerbank on me I could use the really useful Fast Fuel feature which loads 2 hours worth of listening in just 5 minutes of charging. The pairing process is, thanks to the W1 chip, flawless on iPhones but I also used them with my laptop and they paired just fine minus the somewhat magical feeling you get when the little paring screen pops up. The sound they produce is still a little beatsy but I personally think that they are far from earlier Beats products and only lack ever so slightly at the mids.

The only problems with them I sometimes get is that the, otherwise very nice clicking, in-line remote doesn’t work when you press it for the first time from time to time. But since it only occurs from time to time and only for the first press during the usage I think it’s not the worst. Also the carrying case that comes with them is just not good, since you need to fold them in a very specific way to even fit them into it, and even when you fit them correctly they are not protected 100% since the case is open at the top. What I would love is a shorter cable since even for a tall guy like me it is making that loop which I personally think is not the most aesthetically pleasing form in the world.

Other than that and the infamous stupid way they charge, very apple like though looking at you magic mouse 2, I really like my Beats X and for me personally they are worth the steep price Apple or Beats is asking for them.

TL;DR

PRO:

Work exceptionally well with Apple products but just as normal with other devices

The 150$ price tag really is 120$ + 30$ App Store credit

They just work, when you need them and thanks to magnetic backs they don’t disturb

Battery life is more than enough for me personally + Fast Fuel is amazing

Don’t look like you jammed toothbrushes into your ears

CON:

Well they are still 150$

In-Line remote sometimes bugs during first use after power up

The cable loop they force form is not the prettiest

They charge really awkward because they are so stiff

The carrying case is not closed and can only hold them when folded correctly

Beats X are neither water resistant or water protected, you gotta pay more for that

SUMMARY:

Although it may seem like the Beats X are bad earbuds, the cons I listed really are minor details in an otherwise very well made product, which I would absolutely recommend to a friend of mine or buy again.

I hope you enjoyed this pretty spontaneous review I just wrote and didn’t encounter to many errors, if so please have mercy since english isn’t my native language.

I would love some feedback if you have some for me :)

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

shorter TLDR- no not worth buying, you can get much better headphone for cheaper or same price. 

a small point, your English is good. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

shorter TLDR- no not worth buying, you can get much better headphone for cheaper or same price. 

I am thankful that you read my whole review and looked at my points before you commented with your opinion

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

But the important part... How is the sound quality?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

But the important part... How is the sound quality?

True I really kept it short because I think they sound just fine

" The sound they produce is still a little beatsy but I personally think that they are far from earlier Beats products and only lack ever so slightly at the mids."

Nice review! Something worth noting, they're not headphones. They're earphones.

Headphones go on or over the ears, not in. ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Nice review! Something worth noting, they're not headphones. They're earphones.

Headphones go on or over the ears, not in. ;)

Oh thanks, thats totally true :P