???thermal paste remove

Go to solution Solved by Megah3rtz,

No, don't use nail polish. Just use a cloth and a tiny bit of water and be careful. Then leave it to dry. 

can i use the nail polish remover for clean the old thermal paste that on the cpu and the gpu??

My laptop is 3y old so im thinking to replace the thermal paste(it gets high temp while web browsing)

??nail polish remover instead the alcohol??

will it damage the surface of cpu??  

don't replace the thermal compound!

Just remove the dust from your laptop.

My grandpa had the same laptop for almost 10 years, and the only things he has ever done was

1. Replace after 6 years his mobo because it broke somehow

2. Cleaning the dust out of it everytime it thermal throttled

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

Just now, cyanit said:

My grandpa had the same laptop for almost 10 years, and the only things he has ever done was

What's wrong with replacing the compound? It's not like it'll kill the laptop.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

2 minutes ago, cyanit said:

i try to clean the dust out

but it still not very cool

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

WHY WOULD YOU THINK YOU CAN USE NAIL POLISH?!

Probably means nail polish remover, aka acetone.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

WHY WOULD YOU THINK YOU CAN USE NAIL POLISH?!

because i dont have any alcohol

hahaha 

3 minutes ago, TheGhzGuy said:

What's wrong with replacing the compound? It's not like it'll kill the laptop.

you have to take apart the whole laptop.

And if this is not done correctly, it will kill the laptop.

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

Just now, RickyGAHHH said:

hahaha 

Do you mean nail polish remover.

You don't need alcohol, water works fine. Just make sure it's dry afterwards.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, CoinofStone said:

Probably means nail polish remover, aka acetone.

Nope:

hahaha 

Nail polish and nail polish remover or isopropyl alcohol are completely different in what they do when applied to a surface, why would you think they could be interchangeable?

Just now, cyanit said:

And if this is not done correctly, it will kill the laptop.

my laptop's heat sink is really easy to remove

so can i use the nail polish remover to clean?

1 minute ago, cyanit said:

And if this is done not correctly, it will kill the laptop.

Fair enough, I just don't think it's as big of an issue as you're making it out to be.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

You can use whatever you want, the question is do you want your laptop to work afterwards? Isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters works wonders.

2 minutes ago, RickyGAHHH said:

No please don't use nail polish remover/acetone, it literally removes nail polish...

You can use acetone, but isopropyl alcohol is recommended.

Acetone can attack plastics and remove paint/markings from components, for example the print off surface mounted capacitors. isopropyl alcohol is not that "strong" and does the same job.

You can also use sanitary alcohol or any other solvent , just make sure it evaporates before you apply the new thermal paste.

And don't confuse thermal paste with thermal pads. If the laptop uses thermal pads, it may have been designed with the thickness of the pads in mind, so replacing them with paste may be a mistake as the paste will become thinner and spread when heated while pads will remain the same thickness.

Just now, TheGhzGuy said:

Fair enough, I just don't think it's as big of an issue as you're making it out to be.

probably you're right... ;D

But the point is, why should you wreck down your house and rebuild it if your air condition is just broken?

3 minutes ago, jaycowper said:

You can use whatever you want, the question is do you want your laptop to work afterwards? Isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters works wonders.

Hey! Someone else who uses coffee filters!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Just now, cyanit said:

probably you're right... ;D

But the point is, why should you wreck down your house and rebuild it if your air condition is just broken?

I've tried blowing out dust from an HP laptop it was.....not fun. It still works though! (Still ramps the fan up to max lol)

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Hey! Someone else who uses coffee filters!

Surprised that people don't do it more often. It's strong and abrasive without being overtly so, and more importantly not nearly as fibrous as paper towels.

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can use acetone, but isopropyl alcohol is recommended.

Acetone can attack plastics and remove paint/markings from components, for example the print off surface mounted capacitors. isopropyl alcohol is not that "strong" and does the same job.

You can also use sanitary alcohol or any other solvent , just make sure it evaporates before you apply the new thermal paste.

And don't confuse thermal paste with thermal pads. If the laptop uses thermal pads, it may have been designed with the thickness of the pads in mind, so replacing them with paste may be a mistake as the paste will become thinner and spread when heated while pads will remain the same thickness.

how can i tell is it using the pads or paste?

I've tried blowing out dust from an HP laptop it was.....not fun. It still works though! (Still ramps the fan up to max lol)

I'm cleaning the Toshiba laptop if my grandpa with an industrial vacuum cleaner and that thing does a great job... But the laptop is also just so old, if you're not very close you might mix it up with a tank... ;D

7 minutes ago, cyanit said:

I'm cleaning the Toshiba laptop if my grandpa with an industrial vacuum cleaner and that thing does a great job... But the laptop is also just so old, if you're not very close you might mix it up with a tank... ;D

Cleaning anything electrical with a vacuum is a horrible idea... A lot of static builds up on the vacuum and if it makes its way onto anything electrical boom, it's dead.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb