Frame rate drops at 4k, GTX 1080 sli

leroy94

Hi everyone

ive just been loaned an AOC U2879VF 4k monitor to try out before i buy one, ive been trying to run some games and as the title suggest's im getting frame rate drops.

my full system is:

I7 4790k clocked at 4.4ghz on all cores

MSI armour gtx 1080 x2 both clocked at 2ghz

asus z97-AR

16gb-DDR3 hyperx 1866

windows 7

i think the bottle neck might be CPU bound? anybody got any other ideas, games tested so far are witcher 3 and fallout 4, ive even put graphics settings all to low with no change in frame rate.

It could be a wired bug with sli have you tried just using a single card and updating drivers?

Most likely CPU related. You also have a very mild OC considering the stock Turbo Boost goes to 4.4 GHz on all cores on ASUS boards (due to Multicore Enhancement). If you have a powerful cooler and a good chip you could attempt going higher.

4790K is more than fast enough...4K is a hell of a lot of pixels to push...don't set your expectations too high...4K...were not there quite yet.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It isn't the CPU, no way. Maybe if you were playing at 1080P or even a push 1440P, but not 4k. How is the usage on the GPUs whilst the games are running? Putting the settings on low would then make the issue worse if this was indeed a CPU problem - the fact it made no difference backs up my theory.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

6 minutes ago, jackchipm said:

It could be a wired bug with sli have you tried just using a single card and updating drivers?

drivers up to date as of 20/03/2017, tried single gpu and on ultra frame rate is lower but changing setting raises it but doesnt make it stable.

4 minutes ago, Celios said:

Most likely CPU related. You also have a very mild OC considering the stock Turbo Boost goes to 4.4 GHz on all cores on ASUS boards (due to Multicore Enhancement). If you have a powerful cooler and a good chip you could attempt going higher.

cpu is custom water cooled, this was more for noise than overclocking as the tower is on the desk behind my monitor, ive tried overclocking before and couldnt get it to stay stable, but i guess now is as good a time as any to try again

1 minute ago, leroy94 said:

drivers up to date as of 20/03/2017, tried single gpu and on ultra frame rate is lower but changing setting raises it but doesnt make it stable.

cpu is custom water cooled, this was more for noise than overclocking as the tower is on the desk behind my monitor, ive tried overclocking before and couldnt get it to stay stable, but i guess now is as good a time as any to try again

Yeah, you could try and go for higher but sadly all chips are different. I'm not really the guy to ask about OCing, I usually like to leave my chips at stock as I don't really feel the need to OC. I'm sure someone else here would be willing to help you.

9 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

4790K is more than fast enough...4K is a hell of a lot of pixels to push...don't set your expectations too high...4K...were not there quite yet.

my single Titan XP handles 4K easily. like, BF1 is just at 60FPS static, no drops whatsoever.

1080 SLI should outperform my setup..

13 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

It isn't the CPU, no way. Maybe if you were playing at 1080P or even a push 1440P, but not 4k. How is the usage on the GPUs whilst the games are running? Putting the settings on low would then make the issue worse if this was indeed a CPU problem - the fact it made no difference backs up my theory.

usages seem to be bouncing around all over the place from 24% to 80% and not staying in sync, im new to sli setups is normal for the usages percentages not to be in sync? 

12 minutes ago, leroy94 said:

usages seem to be bouncing around all over the place from 24% to 80% and not staying in sync, im new to sli setups is normal for the usages percentages not to be in sync? 

If it was a CPU bottleneck it would be pinned above 95% usage. I'd try some different drivers. Also what PSU do you have?

18 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

my single Titan XP handles 4K easily. like, BF1 is just at 60FPS static, no drops whatsoever.

1080 SLI should outperform my setup..

Exactly so theres an issue, a 4790k will not bottleneck at 4k

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

If it was a CPU bottleneck it would be pinned above 95% usage. I'd try some different drivers. Also what PSU do you have?

Exactly so theres an issue, a 4790k will not bottleneck at 4k

psu is a ridiculously oversized EVGA supernova 1200 watt, before you ask it was on sale and i had R9 290x and R9 390 that i thought id try to crossfire xD

also your saying to roll back to an older driver?

could low memory usage be the culprit? dxdiag only registering 3622mb of on board memory? and witcher 3 only using 3262mb

capture 2.png

Capture.PNG

19 minutes ago, leroy94 said:

could low memory usage be the culprit? dxdiag only registering 3622mb of on board memory? and witcher 3 only using 3262mb

Id try rolling back the drivers and see if it improves, the memory could be the issue

Ryzen Ram Guide

31 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Id try rolling back the drivers and see if it improves, the memory could be the issue

just seen your post, ill try that and see if dxdiag sees anything different, interestingly enough though i set up windows 10 on duel boot today and have only just had a chance to use it and dxdiag sees a total of 16gb of dedicated ram on the gpus in it, if roll back doesnt work ill upgrade the windows 7 system to windows 10 and wipe the new partion i think cus witcher 3 ran pretty solid in 4 ultra with just the odd frame rate dip to 57.8 which is pretty negligible