From Netflix to Bluray

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm considering stopping using Netflix I've realized that I spend too much money on it. $10 might not seem to be a lot, but that's $120 per year, and the worst is I don't watch it that often. I can spend a whole month without watching even once. I found Blurays on eBay at affordable prices. Like I could get both seasons 1 and 2 of Gotham for $25, which is less than 3 months of Netflix, and I would probably need around 6 months to watch all episodes. First, do you think it's a good decision?

Now I just realized that I have never used Blurays before. I've been using a mix of Netflix and Google Play Movies and a Chromecast. I have a few questions :

- Do I need to buy a specific Bluray player, or any player would be fine. I have a 1080p 40" TV.

- To play the Blurays on my PC, do I need a specific player to play the Blurays on my desktop PC? Same question if I decide to buy a laptop.

- Would I lose quality if I rip the Blurays and stream the file from my tablet to my Chromecast?

- Is there anything else to be aware of? Is there a better Netflix alternative for me (I'm not in the US so Amazon and Hulu aren't an option) ?

Thanks

If you are planning on ripping bluray you will need special software. If you want it to process in a reasonable mount of time you will also need a nice processor or a program that can utilize a gpu. As far as quality, that's up to you. Personally i rip all of my blurays at as high a quality as possible, the files end up large but I can't tell the difference between the rip and the original. If you want to play blurays on your computer you will also need special software to do so. 

27 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

If you are planning on ripping bluray you will need special software. If you want it to process in a reasonable mount of time you will also need a nice processor or a program that can utilize a gpu. As far as quality, that's up to you. Personally i rip all of my blurays at as high a quality as possible, the files end up large but I can't tell the difference between the rip and the original. If you want to play blurays on your computer you will also need special software to do so. 

What software do you use? How large are the final files? How much for a 40-minute long episode? Do I need a particular Bluray player on my PC?

I use dvdfab bluray ripper downloaded through a German VPN (us version is crippled due to legal reasons).  Dvdfab also has a bluray player program you can use, however I just use by xbox one. Ripping time is heavily dependent on hardware. I have a i7 5820k @4.5 ghz and a gtx 970 and a 2 hour movie takes between 20 and 30 min. My buddy with an i5 4690k and a r9 290 takes about double that. Most new pc bluray drives should work. 

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

I use dvdfab bluray ripper downloaded through a German VPN (us version is crippled due to legal reasons).  Dvdfab also has a bluray player program you can use, however I just use by xbox one. Ripping time is heavily dependent on hardware. I have a i7 5820k @4.5 ghz and a gtx 970 and a 2 hour movie takes between 20 and 30 min. My buddy with an i5 4690k and a r9 290 takes about double that. Most new pc bluray drives should work. 

Now that's a lot of time and effort. Thanks for letting me know. Then I think I'll stick to online services. It's another debate but I'm really considering getting back to torrenting because of their very frustrating availability rules. iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and most of these services only work properly in a short list of countries, and for me it's like saying "we don't want your money".

If you just want to watch bluray you can get a player to play the disks for like $60 that will take care of you. 

Personally I'm opposed to torrenting. If I like the media enough to watch it I'm going to pay to support it. However I will pay to circumvent blocks put in my way to dictate how to enjoy it. 

11 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

If you just want to watch bluray you can get a player to play the disks for like $60 that will take care of you. 

Personally I'm opposed to torrenting. If I like the media enough to watch it I'm going to pay to support it. However I will pay to circumvent blocks put in my way to dictate how to enjoy it. 

Actually I want to watch on my tablet and online streaming seem to be the way to go if I don't want to spend hours ripping a disk.

Do you think I should get a PS3 instead? That would allow me to play Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted series.

18 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Do you think I should get a PS3 instead? That would allow me to play Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted series.

That would work well. That was my reasoning behind buying an Xbox one s, I wanted to watch 4k blu rays and ay borderlands handsome jack collection. 

5 hours ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

That would work well. That was my reasoning behind buying an Xbox one s, I wanted to watch 4k blu rays and ay borderlands handsome jack collection. 

Thanks for your replies. I finally decided to cancel my Netflix subscription and only get the cheapest movies of my Google Play wishlist. I'll watch the more expensive ones on Netflix when I'm on vacation. So basically I'll use Netflix only one to two months during the year, and will use it intensively during this time (less work and less gaming). I also discovered a great website offering free anime streaming !