Camera for tech reviews videos/pictures

8 minutes ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

Ok what is better about the 18-55mm compared to a tele lens. (What are the main use cases for each) 

I'm really new to all of this and i'm looking for the most informations that i can get :)

Thanks for your patience ^^ 

1. All 3 of the links you attached, unless I am mistaken include the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. 

So, lets go basics, the standard focal lengths, i.e. where the image is not too wide or too telephoto are between 24-70mm. You will also notice that the majority of images are taken within those focal lengths, for very specific uses. 

Usually, tele focal lengths i.e. 70mm and upwards are used for wildlife and sports photography, somewhere where you want to fill the frame with a single subject. They are also sometimes used for portraiture. 

Wider focal lengths are best when you want to capture most of what is inf ront of you, for example landscapes or interior photography etc. It also allows for an interesting perspective on the image in general. (distortion is usually noticeable at ultrawide focal lengths e.g. the fisheye effect is basically distortion due to the ultra-wide focal lenght). 

the 24-70mm applies to Full Frame 35mm sensors. APS-C sized sensors are physically smaller. This means a crop factor is applied, usually by x1.5 i.e. if you shoot an APS-C camera at 18mm, the equivalent focal length is 27mm in full frame. For canon APS-C cameras, such as the 750d and 70d, the crop factor is 1.6 i.e. 18mmx1.6= ~29mm. 

Kit lenses are usually roughly 24-70mm equivalents. 

A 75-300 or 55-250 are too close to use in many cases and thus are less versatile than ultrawides since they can only be used for sports, extremely close portraiture, wildlife and some other very niche usecases.  It is however, what most people feel they should buy as a 2nd lens, which is why it is often bundled so. 

For tech reviews, you are likely to be filming indoors so a tele such as a 75-300 would be too long to use. What I would perceive as a good set of lenses for that is a standard focal length 24-70mm equivalent, an ultrawide i.e. the 10-18mm for APS-C bodies and a fast prime to get shallow depth of field, which coupled with some extension tubes could capture some macro shots as well if you need them (even though a 1:1 macro lens is preferable in that case).

Both the 55-250 and 75-300 are cheaper in the bundles you have linked than alone, they are not the sharpest lenses around, but to be fair they are quite cheap.  

I advise you not to go for a tele as a 2nd lens, I have used my 90-300mm 5 times at most in the past 12 years I've had it, and while there are cases when 70mm were too short, I rarely shoot over 100mm, in fact most of my pictures are taken at around 20-50mm. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

2 minutes ago, cc143 said:

1. All 3 of the links you attached, unless I am mistaken include the 18-55mm 3.5-5.6. 

So, lets go basics, the standard focal lengths, i.e. where the image is not too wide or too telephoto are between 24-70mm. You will also notice that the majority of images are taken within those focal lengths, for very specific uses. 

Usually, tele focal lengths i.e. 70mm and upwards are used for wildlife and sports photography, somewhere where you want to fill the frame with a single subject. They are also sometimes used for portraiture. 

Wider focal lengths are best when you want to capture most of what is inf ront of you, for example landscapes or interior photography etc. It also allows for an interesting perspective on the image in general. (distortion is usually noticeable at ultrawide focal lengths e.g. the fisheye effect is basically distortion due to the ultra-wide focal lenght). 

the 24-70mm applies to Full Frame 35mm sensors. APS-C sized sensors are physically smaller. This means a crop factor is applied, usually by x1.5 i.e. if you shoot an APS-C camera at 18mm, the equivalent focal length is 27mm in full frame. For canon APS-C cameras, such as the 750d and 70d, the crop factor is 1.6 i.e. 18mmx1.6= ~29mm. 

Kit lenses are usually roughly 24-70mm equivalents. 

A 75-300 or 55-250 are too close to use in many cases and thus are less versatile than ultrawides since they can only be used for sports, extremely close portraiture, wildlife and some other very niche usecases.  It is however, what most people feel they should buy as a 2nd lens, which is why it is often bundled so. 

For tech reviews, you are likely to be filming indoors so a tele such as a 75-300 would be too long to use. What I would perceive as a good set of lenses for that is a standard focal length 24-70mm equivalent, an ultrawide i.e. the 10-18mm for APS-C bodies and a fast prime to get shallow depth of field, which coupled with some extension tubes could capture some macro shots as well if you need them (even though a 1:1 macro lens is preferable in that case).

Both the 55-250 and 75-300 are cheaper in the bundles you have linked than alone, they are not the sharpest lenses around, but to be fair they are quite cheap.  

I advise you not to go for a tele as a 2nd lens, I have used my 90-300mm 5 times at most in the past 12 years I've had it, and while there are cases when 70mm were too short, I rarely shoot over 100mm, in fact most of my pictures are taken at around 20-50mm. 

Thank you for your time that makes sense :) Because i always saw those lenses bundled i taught they were a really nice addition (I'm a really big camera noob :S:P )

I will look into cameras that don't come with those telelens :) 

But that ultrawide lens is not cheap :o (The 10-18mm) and what is a fast prime lens? :S 

And I did some research. The reason why the 750D is not available at Best Buy Canada (or some other Canadian stores) is because they are the exact same. It's just that in North America they sell the 750D as the EOS Rebel T6i :)

I will need to do a lot of research before making this purchase! ^^

Just now, Halo Spartan128 said:

Thank you for your time that makes sense :) Because i always saw those lenses bundled i taught they were a really nice addition (I'm a really big camera noob :S:P )

I will look into cameras that don't come with those telelens :) 

But that ultrawide lens is not cheap :o (The 10-18mm) and what is a fast prime lens? :S 

And I did some research. The reason why the 750D is not available at Best Buy Canada (or some other Canadian stores) is because they are the exact same. It's just that in North America they sell the 750D as the EOS Rebel T6i :)

I will need to do a lot of research before making this purchase! ^^

Yes they do name them differently in North America, I don't know why. 

The 10-18mm is actually quite inexpensive for a lens. A full frame, good ultrawide costs ~£1500 and thats not like the 11-24mm Canon that goes for ~£2500. Trust me, photography/videography are destructive to ones wallet.

A prime lens is a fixed focal length lens. They usually have a wider aperture and tend to be sharper than similarly priced zoom lenses. This allows for that blurry background you see in some portraits or videos. The 50mm f/1.8 STM is a very cheap fast prime. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

3 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Yes they do name them differently in North America, I don't know why. 

The 10-18mm is actually quite inexpensive for a lens. A full frame, good ultrawide costs ~£1500 and thats not like the 11-24mm Canon that goes for ~£2500. Trust me, photography/videography are destructive to ones wallet.

A prime lens is a fixed focal length lens. They usually have a wider aperture and tend to be sharper than similarly priced zoom lenses. This allows for that blurry background you see in some portraits or videos. The 50mm f/1.8 STM is a very cheap fast prime. 

Thank you for all the information :)

I think i will start only with a kit with one lens and see if I have the need for something else later on :)

After all the time searching it seems like I'm always turning around the T5i/T6i.... (Or 70D-750D) 

4 hours ago, cc143 said:

The 750d has 4mp more, is lighter has nfc a slightly newer processor and is cheaper.

The 70d is larger, has a top screen, gets a 2 more fps burst, larger battery, 98% vs 95% coverage viewfinder and some other insignificant stuff.

tbh, I would personally go with the 750d out of the 2. 

If I recall correctly, the 70d has an immensly better auto focus with the Dual Pixel AF. I would consider that pretty important. The 70d is also more weather resistant, to some it might be important.

@Halo Spartan128 Maybe look into the newly announced T7i and 77d. They have the same af system as the 80d at a much lower price point. If you want to go the Canon route, they might be your best bet at that price point. If you do go Sony, see if maybe you can get the A6300, you might be able to afford it with the discount you mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Inkz said:

If I recall correctly, the 70d has an immensly better auto focus with the Dual Pixel AF. I would consider that pretty important. The 70d is also more weather resistant, to some it might be important.

@Halo Spartan128 Maybe look into the newly announced T7i and 77d. They have the same af system as the 80d at a much lower price point. If you want to go the Canon route, they might be your best bet at that price point. If you do go Sony, see if maybe you can get the A6300, you might be able to afford it with the discount you mentioned. 

The 750d also has dual pixel Af, it's basically the same system in both cameras(according to canon's website).

Yes the 70d is better made and more weather resistant, but that is accounted for in the price. 

The 800d and 77d are newer and marginally better, but also more expensive and I think unavailable atm.

2 minutes ago, cc143 said:

The 750d also has dual pixel Af, it's basically the same system in both cameras(according to canon's website).

Yes the 70d is better made and more weather resistant, but that is accounted for in the price. 

The 800d and 77d are newer and marginally better, but also more expensive and I think unavailable atm.

No, the 750d uses Hybrid AF which is different. Here some Copy Paste from the website 

Hybrid CMOS AF III 
The EOS Rebel T6i camera features a robust, sophisticated AF system for Live View and video shooting. This Hybrid CMOS AF III focuses incredibly quickly and accurately, and maintains focus even while the subject is in motion. This is incredibly useful when photographing or making videos of fast-moving children or pets when unpredictable movement is involved. Designed for providing outstanding autofocus capability, the EOS Rebel T6i delivers photos and videos with sharp, consistent focus regardless of the shooting situation. When using the EOS Rebel T6i with a Canon STM lens, operation is even smoother and quieter.

According to BH's page for the 77d, it should be released on the 30th, so they will be available almost immediately.

T7i is a bit expensive for me at the moment. Right now i'm mostly looking into buying maybe a T6i. 

And got some news on the employee pricings. Can tell you at this time of the year those prices are not really good :')  

Just now, Inkz said:

No, the 750d uses Hybrid AF which is different. Here some Copy Paste from the website 

Hybrid CMOS AF III 
The EOS Rebel T6i camera features a robust, sophisticated AF system for Live View and video shooting. This Hybrid CMOS AF III focuses incredibly quickly and accurately, and maintains focus even while the subject is in motion. This is incredibly useful when photographing or making videos of fast-moving children or pets when unpredictable movement is involved. Designed for providing outstanding autofocus capability, the EOS Rebel T6i delivers photos and videos with sharp, consistent focus regardless of the shooting situation. When using the EOS Rebel T6i with a Canon STM lens, operation is even smoother and quieter.

According to BH's page for the 77d, it should be released on the 30th, so they will be available almost immediately.

And yeah you have the right date 30th of march :)

2 minutes ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

T7i is a bit expensive for me at the moment. Right now i'm mostly looking into buying maybe a T6i. 

And got some news on the employee pricings. Can tell you at this time of the year those prices are not really good :')  

Whoops, sorry I forgot to convert from USD. I didn't read the Canada part in on you profile.  I usually default to USD when I see dollars.

Just now, Inkz said:

Whoops, sorry I forgot to convert from USD. I didn't read the Canada part in on you profile.  I usually default to USD when I see dollars.

That's fine my 1000$ max was in USD ^^ But i was thinking i could see some interesting employee pricing like late last year. (Saw some really nice prices) 

But now from what i saw it's a reduction of around 50$ CAD max for a t6i or models in a similar price range. So yeah....