Type of switch to buy(Generic vs Branded)

So i am organizing a csgo lan competition during my schools charity sale in a few months and we are not gonna have any wireless network access. So i need to wire up all the pcs to the modem/router unit but obviously the stock isp provided one which im planning to use is not going to have enough ethernet ports for 10pcs. so i was wondering whether buying a cheap network switch like this one http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/232088681629?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true off ebay is fine. Or whether i should go with a branded one which literally cost twice as much from my local hardware shop. We plan to donate it to the school's computer club after the event though so its not going to be a one time use kind of thing. All i really wanna know is whether theres any real difference or disadvantage of going with the generic option. Keeping in mind, lan gaming does not require a high bandwith so thats something im not concerned with, with these switches.

I've had a good experience with the TP-Link TL-SG105. It's bigger brother, the TL-SG108, is about 40€ 25$

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

3 minutes ago, Obersachse said:

I'd suggest going for a brand one like this one: https://www.amazon.de/NETGEAR-FS208-100PES-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Switch/dp/B00A33BYEA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490526933&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=8%2Bport%2Bswitch&th=1

Spending that extra money is most of the time worth it because they're much more reliable.

theres two options under 8port. how fast is fast ethernet compared to gigabit? i cant read that language sry and chrome is not asking for translations. it looks very compelling because the non gigabit option is roughly the same price as the generic one

4 minutes ago, vojta.pokorny said:

I've had a good experience with the TP-Link TL-SG105. It's bigger brother, the TL-SG108, is about 40€ 25$

the bigger brother one is way over buget. im only given $20 for the switch. 

3 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

theres two options under 8port. how fast is fast ethernet compared to gigabit? i cant read that language sry and chrome is not asking for translations. it looks very compelling because the non gigabit option is roughly the same price as the generic one

It's german, unfortunately, Amazon.com only offers the gigabit version. Here's an alternative: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-8-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1008D/dp/B0034CL3MA/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490527349&sr=1-7&keywords=8+port+switch

And for the speeds: Gigabit - 1000up/1000down

non-Gigabit - most of the time 100up/100down

Edited by Obersachse

You should use a switch with gigabit network ports, the price difference shouldn't be that great.

I see you linked to eBay malaysia, which kind of limits choices. if you had time to buy from ebay global you could score a good switch for cheap. 

You should also think about going to some of the local stores (especially used hardware stores around you) to ask them if they'd be willing to let you "rent" one or if they'd be willing to let you borrow one for the duration of the event.

In worst case scenario, offer to give a deposit (some amount of money) as a guarantee that you'll take care off the hardware and come back with it,  and the money they'll return to you when you come back with the switch

3 minutes ago, Obersachse said:

It's german, unfortunately, Amazon.com only offers the gigabit version. Here's an alternative: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-8-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1008D/dp/B0034CL3MA/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490527349&sr=1-7&keywords=8+port+switch

that looks very compelling. its just plug and play right. like one ethernet cable from the uplink of the switch to one of the ethernet ports from the modem. No tinkering required?

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You should use a switch with gigabit network ports, the price difference shouldn't be that great.

I see you linked to eBay malaysia, which kind of limits choices. if you had time to buy from ebay global you could score a good switch for cheap. 

You should also think about going to some of the local stores (especially used hardware stores around you) to ask them if they'd be willing to let you "rent" one or if they'd be willing to let you borrow one for the duration of the event.

In worst case scenario, offer to give a deposit (some amount of money) as a guarantee that you'll take care off the hardware and come back with it,  and the money they'll return to you when you come back with the switch

oh but we need it for more than a while. like a few months period cause got qualifiers and stuff. also, im pretty sure the organizers wouldnt like borrowing because if theres damage and stuff ...yea

7 minutes ago, Obersachse said:

wait thats odd, the switch only has 8 ports. isnt it supposed to have one uplink port? to connect to the modem? or does one of it have to be sacrificed essentially making it a 7 port switch

14 minutes ago, joshua_lotion said:

wait thats odd, the switch only has 8 ports. isnt it supposed to have one uplink port? to connect to the modem? or does one of it have to be sacrificed essentially making it a 7 port switch

1st port is the input, so effectively only 7 ports. However this is the case with most switches, especially at this price point.

I thought it was something like 3 day event, something over the weekend.

i was considering buying something cheap locally and mailing it to you, but the cheapest shipping to Malaysia is around 30$ so in this case you wouldn't get a better deal compared to buying from some countries closer to you, or from local stores.

There's a company here which buys hardware from companies that every few years sell their old hardware and lease new stuff, and often they get new unboxed hardware from such companies and sell it cheaply, only dowside is that it's maybe a few years old.

For example, they have now a 24 x 100mbps ports network switch branded Repotec 1724DR for 19$ or 24 x 100mbps ports with management Avaya P333T switch for 20$.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2017 at 7:09 AM, joshua_lotion said:

So i am organizing a csgo lan competition during my schools charity sale in a few months and we are not gonna have any wireless network access. So i need to wire up all the pcs to the modem/router unit but obviously the stock isp provided one which im planning to use is not going to have enough ethernet ports for 10pcs. so i was wondering whether buying a cheap network switch like this one http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/232088681629?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&autorefresh=true off ebay is fine. Or whether i should go with a branded one which literally cost twice as much from my local hardware shop. We plan to donate it to the school's computer club after the event though so its not going to be a one time use kind of thing. All i really wanna know is whether theres any real difference or disadvantage of going with the generic option. Keeping in mind, lan gaming does not require a high bandwith so thats something im not concerned with, with these switches.

You can purchase a cheap Avaya Smart switch on ebay for under $100.00. Its a 48port poe as well fully Gigabit. Search for Avaya 4548GT-PWR. Ive seen tons of them on their. Its a cheap solution that's overkill for your needs! good luck!