Quick CPU Question

Hey great people of LTT,

I have a quick question.

I upgraded my potato pc over the years without changing mobo (oem) or the cpu (oem, i3 2100), here is what it was like stock:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7vnmuZCS146HQwdf6hIPjQ

So my question is, will an i7 3770K work on my current mobo? I was surprised when someone said that I could use it. Wouldn't the chipset be different or something?

What mobo do you have? Linking to your youtube channel doesn't help

Does you mum know you're here?

Simple: if the BIOS of your mobo supports Ivy Bridge, it'll work. But if not, it won't.

5 minutes ago, PenPoint said:

Simple: if the BIOS of your mobo supports Ivy Bridge, it'll work. But if not, it won't.

You can do a bios update since op has a cpu already 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

True, it's the same chipset, but it sounds like OP has some kind of proprietary board, maybe HP or Dell, so who knows if there is a BIOS update for it.

Anyhow, @WhatComesAround, you'll have to find out what mobo you have in the first place, if you want to find a BIOS update for it.

9 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

True, it's the same chipset, but it sounds like OP has some kind of proprietary board, maybe HP or Dell, so who knows if there is a BIOS update for it.

Anyhow, @WhatComesAround, you'll have to find out what mobo you have in the first place, if you want to find a BIOS update for it.

Oh right. My oem h81 support haswell refresh i5 4460 so it could work 

2 hours ago, PenPoint said:

How do I find out if my BIOS supports Ivy? I am very new to everything CPU, I have also never actually built a pc from the ground up and gone through the setup process. Could you fill me in on how to do all this (BIOS)?

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

And how do I update my bios?

2 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

How do I find out if my BIOS supports Ivy? I am very new to everything CPU, I have also never actually built a pc from the ground up and gone through the setup process. Could you fill me in on how to do all this (BIOS)?

You could Google your PC's model number and maybe find the specs of the motherboard somewhere. If not, open up your pc and the mobo model etc should be printed somewhere on the board.

Then you go to the manufacturers website and download the BIOS update for your specific board, most of the time this is a little executable tool that will do everything automatically. Just make sure you get the one for your motherboard, trying to flash a BIOS for the wrong board would be bad!

If you want to know if your board maybe already has a BIOS that supports ivy bridge, open the BIOS and find the version number. Then Google that. If the manufacturer released an update to enable ivy bridge it will be mentioned somewhere in the release notes on their support page where you download software updates etc.

2 hours ago, VVoltor said:

You could Google your PC's model number and maybe find the specs of the motherboard somewhere. If not, open up your pc and the mobo model etc should be printed somewhere on the board.

Then you go to the manufacturers website and download the BIOS update for your specific board, most of the time this is a little executable tool that will do everything automatically. Just make sure you get the one for your motherboard, trying to flash a BIOS for the wrong board would be bad!

If you want to know if your board maybe already has a BIOS that supports ivy bridge, open the BIOS and find the version number. Then Google that. If the manufacturer released an update to enable ivy bridge it will be mentioned somewhere in the release notes on their support page where you download software updates etc.

Thanks and is there maybe a way to find the model number without opening up my pc? Like some Motherboard-Z program or something?

5 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

Thanks and is there maybe a way to find the model number without opening up my pc? Like some Motherboard-Z program or something?

There's a serial number in your BIOS, some apps can read it and tell you what manufacturer and model the number translates to. I think cpu-Z can do that, not sure, has been a while since I've used it. Or HWiNFO. 

3 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

There's a serial number in your BIOS, some apps can read it and tell you what manufacturer and model the number translates to. I think cpu-Z can do that, not sure, has been a while since I've used it. Or HWiNFO. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/208420/how-to-check-your-motherboard-model-number-on-your-windows-pc/ 

Apparently I can do this.

5 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

What I got was 

Manufacturer : Acer

Product: Aspire M1930

Now I am not sure if that is the model number, but maybe I can google the product to find the mobo it uses, manufacturers don't change their mobos mid production right? Anyways I will double check my mobo's model number once I have the time to open it up (I use my pc quite frequently for homework and rendering videos so downtime is kind of annoying and unwanted).

You have a proprietry H61 chipset Mother board that can not support Ivy Bridge 3770K CPUs.

Sorry

2 hours ago, VVoltor said:

So I found out that the oem motherboard uses the H61 chipset, does that mean it will support the cpu or do I still have to find the BIOS update/version before I go through with installing the cpu. 

4 hours ago, VVoltor said:

1 minute ago, GTBTK said:

You have a proprietry H61 chipset Mother board that can not support Ivy Bridge 3770K CPUs.

Sorry

But according to @VVoltor there could or could not be a BIOS update for it.

If it has Z68 or P67 motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock there are bios updates that will allow Ivy bridge CPUs to run.

Acer usually make their own motherboards so they are unlikely to release bios updates because they want you to buy a new PC. Your PC is also running an H61 chipset that is the non overclocking consumer level where the assumption is that you will never upgrade anything so the H61 chiipset boards never got any updates to support Ivy Bridge CPUs.

19 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Uhh so I found this: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3707?b=1

But I how do I know this bios supports ivy bridge? And it says it's for Windows 8 64 Bit, but I have windows 10.

1 minute ago, GTBTK said:

If it has Z68 or P67 motherboard from Asus, Gigabyte, Asrock there are bios updates that will allow Ivy bridge CPUs to run.

Acer usually make their own motherboards so they are unlikely to release bios updates because they want you to buy a new PC. Your PC is also running an H61 chipset that is the non overclocking consumer level where the assumption is that you will never upgrade anything so the H61 chiipset boards never got any updates to support Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I believe you more or less, but I still want to be optimistic that there is a way to upgrade without buying a new mobo, I have a "Extraordinarily low budget" so I still want to look for ways to improve my pc for a small amount of $$. Any ideas? :/

1 minute ago, WhatComesAround said:

Uhh so I found this: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3707?b=1

But I how do I know this bios supports ivy bridge? And it says it's for Windows 8 64 Bit, but I have windows 10.

The bios updates on the acer site, are bug fix bioses. The H61 is designed to support Sandy bridge CPUs (i3-2100) that came out in 2011. Ivy Bridge (i7-3770K) was not released until 2012.

I don't know how proprietary the inside of your case is. If it uses a standard ATX designed motherboard, you could get a used z68 or z77 motherboard and a new cooler and an upgraded power supply (500W would be enough, the standard one is only 250W)   and you can just swap out the motherboard. That would work with a 3770K but unless you can find a 3770K/z68or z77 cpu/motherboard cheap, you would be better off finding a used more whole computer or a new skylake or Kabylake  motherboard/cpu.

5 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

The bios updates on the acer site, are bug fix bioses. The H61 is designed to support Sandy bridge CPUs (i3-2100) that came out in 2011. Ivy Bridge (i7-3770K) was not released until 2012.

I don't know how proprietary the inside of your case is. If it uses a standard ATX designed motherboard, you could get a used z68 or z77 motherboard and a new cooler and an upgraded power supply (500W would be enough, the standard one is only 250W)   and you can just swap out the motherboard. That would work with a 3770K but unless you can find a 3770K/z68or z77 cpu/motherboard cheap, you would be better off finding a used more whole computer or a new skylake or Kabylake  motherboard/cpu.

I think I will buy an i7 2600K then, from ebay :/ It will cost $25 in shipping but I will save way more. Just hope I won't be bottle-necking my GPU very much. http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-3-4GHz-Quad-Core-BX80623I72600K-Processor-/152482950135?hash=item2380b12bf7:g:zLwAAOSwhQhY01Ao

6 minutes ago, GTBTK said:

I will upgrade my motherboard later then. I am not able to legally work in the country I am in right now so I can't make any money, that is why I am on a very tight budget. The only money that I am getting right now is what I have been making from my YT channel which is very small. :/

1 minute ago, WhatComesAround said:

I think I will buy an i7 2600K then, from ebay :/ It will cost $25 in shipping but I will save way more. Just hope I won't be bottle-necking my GPU very much. http://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-3-4GHz-Quad-Core-BX80623I72600K-Processor-/152482950135?hash=item2380b12bf7:g:zLwAAOSwhQhY01Ao

you will not be able to overclock the 2600K in that motherboard, you would be better off just buying an i7-2600 if you can find one cheaper and if you are keeping the H61. 

The 250W power supply is also too small for an i7 2600K CPU which has a 95w TDP

I am running an i7-2600@4.4Ghz in a z68 Motherboard with a gtx 1070 and while it will not make as many frames a second as a 7700K but it still runs pretty good and will do a 15200 in Firestrike.. 

7 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

I will upgrade my motherboard later then. I am not able to legally work in the country I am in right now so I can't make any money, that is why I am on a very tight budget. The only money that I am getting right now is what I have been making from my YT channel which is very small. :/

Are you in the country that the ebay page came from? If so, I suggest that you look locally rather than on ebay, you might find some deals there.