Moving network location in home

I'm looking to relocate my modem and router from my basement during a remodel and want to place them upstairs in a room with cable TV - but no other output for cable. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to contact my ISP?

I'd like to keep my desktop with wired internet in the basement, so I'll need to figure a way to keep it wired, since the reception of wifi will be unknown once I move the router upstairs. I want the assurance of a rock solid connection over ethernet for my desktop. Does this mean running a 100ft long Cat6 cable? That sounds like a major pain in the rear and would require drilling holes. Could I somehow use the existing cable connection in the basement to provide wired internet to the desktop, while moving the modem and router to upstairs?

The reason behind moving everything is to stop using extenders through the house and rely on the router alone for all wifi if possible. Broadcasting the wifi from the basement is obviously not the best place to do so from, but it has been down here forever and I never wanted to move it until now.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

2 hours ago, SOCOM_HERO said:

I'm looking to relocate my modem and router from my basement during a remodel and want to place them upstairs in a room with cable TV - but no other output for cable. Is this something I can do myself or do I need to contact my ISP?

I'd like to keep my desktop with wired internet in the basement, so I'll need to figure a way to keep it wired, since the reception of wifi will be unknown once I move the router upstairs. I want the assurance of a rock solid connection over ethernet for my desktop. Does this mean running a 100ft long Cat6 cable? That sounds like a major pain in the rear and would require drilling holes. Could I somehow use the existing cable connection in the basement to provide wired internet to the desktop, while moving the modem and router to upstairs?

The reason behind moving everything is to stop using extenders through the house and rely on the router alone for all wifi if possible. Broadcasting the wifi from the basement is obviously not the best place to do so from, but it has been down here forever and I never wanted to move it until now.

If you have Coax in both locations then you can look in to MOCA adapters. They are not as good as Ethernet but they are close enough to my understanding. 

You didnt state what kind of internet you have. Generally you shouldnt need to contact your ISP to move the modem, as long as you know how you need to set it up. For instance, on most cable internet setups there is a two way spliter connected to the main line coming in to your house. One side does Internet while the other does TV. You need to make sure the mdoem is connected direct to that two way spliter at all costs.. Thats assuming you have cable internet. Adding more spliters in line can cause signal issues for the modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I'll just buy a wireless card for the desktop. I don't think I want another splitter for cable based internet in the house. I already have one as is for the setup currently. I also have a range extender now that works well enough to cover the gaps - not a proper AP, but aren't range extenders and APs pretty much the same thing?

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

2 hours ago, SOCOM_HERO said:

I'll just buy a wireless card for the desktop. I don't think I want another splitter for cable based internet in the house. I already have one as is for the setup currently. I also have a range extender now that works well enough to cover the gaps - not a proper AP, but aren't range extenders and APs pretty much the same thing?

No AP have a wire leading directly to the router. Extenders communicate with the router wireless. Extenders are pure shit in most cases. Because they have one radio to communicate with your router and devices, this causes slow downs on the network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/28/2017 at 6:40 PM, Donut417 said:

No AP have a wire leading directly to the router. Extenders communicate with the router wireless. Extenders are pure shit in most cases. Because they have one radio to communicate with your router and devices, this causes slow downs on the network. 

I think any kind of wire would be a chore to route from one level to the next.