D5 pump issue

Go to solution Solved by Eddie Current,

If you can run the pump in a closed loop w/o any blocks (test loop) to see if it will pump, it might just be air-locked.

I'm a freshman in college and am lucky enough to have x99 itx system with 1080. (Hard earned build). My father was generous enough to sponsor my water cooling build for last christmas and got all the parts late january.

I couldn't really go ahead, actually build and water cool my parts until today since my academics is of course priority over my computer. Problem appeared when i turned on the ek res d5 pump combo to pump water through to fill up the loop. The pump made very quiet trickling noise and didnt push much water through. By rotating the entire case, ncase m1, vigorously for the next half hour, i managed to fill about 80% of the loop. I dropped dark blue dye to test if there is any water flow. It took good 5 min for the dye to spread throughout the loop but its only faint blue everywhere except in the reservoir. I tried draining the loop and the reservoir is still full of coolant. At this point, i believe i have good reasons to say my pump is either fked up or clogged up somehow. Again, i never turned pump on until today.

List of components:

I7 6800k

32gb ddr4

Gtx 1080 acx 3.0

Asrock x99 itx mobo

Sf600 psu

All water blocks are from ek including cpu gpu ram

Ek 240 slim rad

Ek d5 res combo

Soft tubing

What do you guys think?

Is the pump defective one?

Or not, what am i doing wrong?

If the pump is defective, will the retailer, performance pcs, be willing to replace it?

If you have questions, concerns, suggestions, or advices, please leave below. I am quite desperate as i spent over 3k just for my desktop and another 2k for monitor and periphrals.

CPU i7-6800K @ 4.4 GHz MOBO ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC GPU GTX 1080 FE RAM Corsair 32GB LPX Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Storage Samsung 512GB 950 Pro + 1.5TB HDD PSU Corsair CX650M Display Acer X34 Peripherals K70 LUX RGB MX RED, G502 Spectrum, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, & Razer Seiren Microphone

Just making sure, the pump still pushes the coolant through. Its just the amount of flow is pitifully miniscule and it wont even drain.

CPU i7-6800K @ 4.4 GHz MOBO ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC GPU GTX 1080 FE RAM Corsair 32GB LPX Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Storage Samsung 512GB 950 Pro + 1.5TB HDD PSU Corsair CX650M Display Acer X34 Peripherals K70 LUX RGB MX RED, G502 Spectrum, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, & Razer Seiren Microphone

If you can run the pump in a closed loop w/o any blocks (test loop) to see if it will pump, it might just be air-locked.

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

3 hours ago, andy0842 said:

-SNIP-

Can you post a photo of the loop most times we can get an idea of the situation if there is something up with the configuration. As mentioned it sounds potentially you have a trapped air pocket blocking or impeding the flow. 

I just confirmed the pump is functional by making that test loop (pump outlet directly to its own inlet). Im just assuming that i had a huge air pocket inside the pump and im just hoping that i didnt ruin the impeller at this point.

Thanks for the help although it wasnt much to begin with ;)