Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Auleo

Optical Drive - Case for External Use?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Long story short, my OD is about to become homeless, is there an enclosure or case kit that this 5.25" hunk of dated technology can rest in?

~~~Brownie points if i can use it as an external one via like some "22 pin to USB"

I remember having one like this in the past but I've spent at least an hour  scouring google, ebay, newegg, and amazon for products related

most i could get were items for "Slim" as in "re-purposing an laptop OD so you can shove an SSD or larger HDD on there or something"

please and thank you :3

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Auleo said:

Long story short, my OD is about to become homeless, is there an enclosure or case kit that this 5.25" hunk of dated technology can rest in?

~~~Brownie points if i can use it as an external one via like some "22 pin to USB"

I remember having one like this in the past but I've spent at least an hour  scouring google, ebay, newegg, and amazon for products related

most i could get were items for "Slim" as in "re-purposing an laptop OD so you can shove an SSD or larger HDD on there or something"

please and thank you :3

sata 3.5 inch to usb+power.


A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

 

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

sata 3.5 inch to usb+power.

 a SATA 7+15 pin to USB would definitely work for sure, I was just hoping for a case, by having only the cable it makes the optical drive seem so rudimentary and ugly, kinda worried about damaging the thing too in case if i drop it, i dunno.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Auleo said:

 a SATA 7+15 pin to USB would definitely work for sure, I was just hoping for a case, by having only the cable it makes the optical drive seem so rudimentary and ugly, kinda worried about damaging the thing too in case if i drop it, i dunno.

well, because its optical it needs power from the wall, just get one from amazon for £20


A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

 

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you really need a case?  You could just use this to connect your drive to a computer via USB.

im not really sure what the hell all those cables and nubs are

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, nobiggieBIG said:

well, because its optical it needs power from the wall, just get one from amazon for £20

bleehhhhhhhh, ac adapters and more cables, where is my crosskeep that blasphemy away from meeeeeeee,

im also cheap as hell, probably not going to bother with anymore than 5$,

(dollars are better than euros >:))

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Auleo said:

bleehhhhhhhh, ac adapters and more cables, where is my crosskeep that blasphemy away from meeeeeeee,

im also cheap as hell, probably not going to bother with anymore than 5$,

(dollars are better than euros >:))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Slimline-External-Laptops-Netbooks/dp/B001GRNS32/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490482622&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+optical+drive

 

sell that drive to CEX or some shop.


A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

 

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Auleo said:

im not really sure what the hell all those cables and nubs are

There are cables for both SATA and IDE.  I didn't know which one you had.  Keep in mind that any 5.25" drive is going to need a power supply.  If you want to avoid that, you should just get an external drive that's designed to run from USB, like this one.

 

If you don't need to burn discs, you can get plenty of cheaper ones.


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

this is the thing in question: Asus DRW-24B1ST

im pretty sure all it needs is a 7+15 pin SATA to USB

the optical drive is a 5.25" form factor

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Auleo said:

this is the thing in question: Asus DRW-24B1ST

im pretty sure all it needs is a 7+15 pin SATA to USB

the optical drive is a 5.25" form factor

 

USB ports output a maximum of 2.5W.  That's not nearly enough to power a regular optical drive.


Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×