Optical Drive - Case for External Use?

Long story short, my OD is about to become homeless, is there an enclosure or case kit that this 5.25" hunk of dated technology can rest in?

~~~Brownie points if i can use it as an external one via like some "22 pin to USB"

I remember having one like this in the past but I've spent at least an hour  scouring google, ebay, newegg, and amazon for products related

most i could get were items for "Slim" as in "re-purposing an laptop OD so you can shove an SSD or larger HDD on there or something"

please and thank you :3

4 minutes ago, Auleo said:

Long story short, my OD is about to become homeless, is there an enclosure or case kit that this 5.25" hunk of dated technology can rest in?

~~~Brownie points if i can use it as an external one via like some "22 pin to USB"

I remember having one like this in the past but I've spent at least an hour  scouring google, ebay, newegg, and amazon for products related

most i could get were items for "Slim" as in "re-purposing an laptop OD so you can shove an SSD or larger HDD on there or something"

please and thank you :3

sata 3.5 inch to usb+power.

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

6 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

sata 3.5 inch to usb+power.

a SATA 7+15 pin to USB would definitely work for sure, I was just hoping for a case, by having only the cable it makes the optical drive seem so rudimentary and ugly, kinda worried about damaging the thing too in case if i drop it, i dunno.

Just now, Auleo said:

a SATA 7+15 pin to USB would definitely work for sure, I was just hoping for a case, by having only the cable it makes the optical drive seem so rudimentary and ugly, kinda worried about damaging the thing too in case if i drop it, i dunno.

well, because its optical it needs power from the wall, just get one from amazon for £20

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you really need a case?  You could just use this to connect your drive to a computer via USB.

im not really sure what the hell all those cables and nubs are

Just now, nobiggieBIG said:

well, because its optical it needs power from the wall, just get one from amazon for £20

bleehhhhhhhh, ac adapters and more cables, where is my crosskeep that blasphemy away from meeeeeeee,

im also cheap as hell, probably not going to bother with anymore than 5$,

(dollars are better than euros >:))

1 minute ago, Auleo said:

bleehhhhhhhh, ac adapters and more cables, where is my crosskeep that blasphemy away from meeeeeeee,

im also cheap as hell, probably not going to bother with anymore than 5$,

(dollars are better than euros >:))

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-Slimline-External-Laptops-Netbooks/dp/B001GRNS32/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1490482622&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+optical+drive

sell that drive to CEX or some shop.

6 minutes ago, Auleo said:

im not really sure what the hell all those cables and nubs are

There are cables for both SATA and IDE.  I didn't know which one you had.  Keep in mind that any 5.25" drive is going to need a power supply.  If you want to avoid that, you should just get an external drive that's designed to run from USB, like this one.

If you don't need to burn discs, you can get plenty of cheaper ones.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

this is the thing in question: Asus DRW-24B1ST

im pretty sure all it needs is a 7+15 pin SATA to USB

the optical drive is a 5.25" form factor

Just now, Auleo said:

this is the thing in question: Asus DRW-24B1ST

im pretty sure all it needs is a 7+15 pin SATA to USB

the optical drive is a 5.25" form factor

USB ports output a maximum of 2.5W.  That's not nearly enough to power a regular optical drive.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440