AMD dropped the ball with the AM4 specifications for AIO coolers

Misanthrope

As the title says they basically decided not only to change the AM3 mounting system but did not provided the specification or board samples with sufficient time to cooler manufacturers.

AM4 mounting holes have different spacing and pressure requirements from AM3, and manufacturers who use a custom backplate have had to retool to produce AM4 backplates. Manufacturers like Noctua did well with AM4, and were officially sent out with reviewer kits as a result. Noctua benefited because its main offering is an air cooler, and AMD’s official AM4 specification contained air cooler mounting force requirements. Cooling manufacturers, just like the motherboard manufacturers (ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte), had limited lead time provided by AMD prior to Ryzen’s launch. To put the time into perspective, we know that board vendors received final ucode updates on Feb 14-15, leaving a few weeks to get their EFI together. We also know that board partners did not get official retail sample support from AMD (in the US HQ offices) until after review embargo lift.

Article source:http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2852-what-caused-am4-retention-kit-delay-for-liquid-coolers

I think that if we consider the memory compatibility, the FM3 bug, this apparent botched communication info it's just more than the growing pains of a brand new platform but for some reason AMD was unwilling to further delay the Ryzen launch when even 2 or 3 weeks would have helped a lot. I do hope people do not immediately try to justify away this glaring communication issues since Gamers Nexus is backing this stuff up with official statements from the manufacturers so at the very least they're basically pissed at AMD and the way they did business with this launch.

Thoughts?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Very true. I have my aio sitting in a box, but have to  stick with the wraith spire because of this. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

this is a small company they probably had too much things going on at the same time to be able to respond to all of them, but for some reason they did not wanted to delay the release

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

I think the wraith cooler will do a better job than potentially frying the chip with fucking zip ties: leave that for scrapyard wars, season 3 is coming soon after all.

you are underestimating the power of the zip tie 

Just now, cj09beira said:

this is a small company they probably had too much things going on at the same time to be able to respond to all of them, but for some reason they did not wanted to delay the release

I'm interested to know said reason since it's been months and we still have seen fuckall in the way of hardware from intel.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, cj09beira said:

you are underestimating the power of the zip tie 

I'm underestimating the capabilities of you 2 as builders, not the zip ties themselves but I'd be extremely easy to fuck it up.

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I'm underestimating the capabilities of you 2 as builders, not the zip ties themselves but I'd be extremely easy to fuck it up.

I'm on a phone so I'm not going to find the time, but at some point in this video Linus zip ties the CPU cooler to the board. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

16 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

zip ties?

A_I don't want to fry a brand new cpu

B_Thats far from an elegant solution 

C_ mounting hardware is available soon, i can just wait and run at 3.5ghz until then. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Was expecting this topic's author to be Zmeul xD

Duh, because AMD knows the superiority of Air Coolers....Air Cooling Master Race!

9 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Was expecting this topic's author to be Zmeul xD

Duh, because AMD knows the superiority of Air Coolers....Air Cooling Master Race!

Joking aside that's not a bad point: Even with a custom water loop and (arguably but still) lots of experience the best Jay could do after waiting for better ram, better Bios, etc. was 4.1 stable with far too much power and 4.0 on more sane voltage.

Spoiler

So it really doesn't looks like overclocking the chip with water is really going to do much like maybe 200 or 300mhz squeezed with really high end solutions and lots of patience.

-------

Current Rig

-------

43 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I think the wraith cooler will do a better job than potentially frying the chip with fucking zip ties: leave that for scrapyard wars, season 3 is coming soon after all.

I mean, I'm using zipties on my Cryorig R1 Ultimate, and have been for a week and 2 days. My system's fine, I just had to lay it horizontally (although if you tighten the zipties enough, you can avoid having to do that).

By the way, this is my first time ever building a computer, so I'm sure an experienced builder like yourself can probably do it better.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Just now, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

I mean, I'm using zipties on my Cryorig R1 Ultimate, and have been for a week and 2 days. My system's fine, I just had to lay it horizontally (although if you tighten the zipties enough, you can avoid having to do that).

Yea and people have driven cars with wooden tires, just because you can doesn't means you should.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Yea and people have driven cars with wooden tires, just because you can doesn't means you should.

Except that in this case, you're using an Impala and upgrading to a Challenger with wooden (but still serviceable) wheels.

Edited by N3v3r3nding_N3wb
I misspelled wheels. Wow. Good job me

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

@Misanthrope I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, or that I wouldn't do the same thing, but your reasoning doesn't make much sense.

So what doesn't makes sense? The fact that some of you are responding to AMD's incompetence with not-so-tongue-in-cheek comments about zip ties? Don't answer that was more rhetorical I am zipping this tangent effective immediately.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I agree. AMD waited too long to provide its partners with information, and for no good reason, it wouldn't have made a dent against the insane hype train or anything.

All other CPU coolers for air figured it out. What?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

26 minutes ago, Notional said:

All other CPU coolers for air figured it out. What?

It's explained in the video and article: Apparently AMD provided the specifications needed for the air coolers but the ones for liquid coolers where not provided in time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

It's explained in the video and article: Apparently AMD provided the specifications needed for the air coolers but the ones for liquid coolers where not provided in time.

The socket dimensions are identical. You don't need special specifications for liquid coolers.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Notional said:

The socket dimensions are identical. You don't need special specifications for liquid coolers.

Apparently not the pressure needed for the coolers, which is news to me btw but they're apparently not the same as air coolers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I do find it funny that my new newer Corsair coolers such as H115i AIO cooler needs a mounting bracket for AM4, although my older H100i AIO coolers which I had sitting in the box on a shelf for the last few years were compatible and did not need a bracket.

Since Corsair do not ship the AM4 bracket to my country I cannot use the newer coolers.

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

The hole position is different from previous sockets. If the cooler screws directly to the backplate the coolers will not work without a new bracket with correct alignment, if it uses the 2-clip system it will work fine. This can be an issue for aftermarket air and AIO coolers depending on their mounting system.

AMD played things too close to the vest this time around and I think it will cost them a good deal of sales until they put the pieces together.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers