ALL FOLDERS ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DISK CHANGED TO .SCR

Anuraag

I had given my external hard disk to my friend as he needed some files and he returned it to me today. When I connected it to my computer, I saw that all the folders were changed to .scr and I couldn't access any of them. I even scanned it with Avast but selected the repair option on detection but when the virus got detected it showed a write error. Please help me. I have very important files on my disk.

Screenshot (131).png

Screenshot (132).png

Screenshot (133).png

Did you just get..... hacked?

I'm not sure what to say man, folders aren't files they are folders. Meaning they don't have a extension. 

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Xenift said:

Did you just get..... hacked?

Nope.

If you notice the icon for the "folders" are the XP style ones.  You'll also notice that they have a size... yup, those are files.  idk what was on that drive but it looks like it's just all viruses now.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

I'm not sure what to say man, folders aren't files they are folders. Meaning they don't have a extension. 

Ikr !! But look at it. Windows is showing that it's a screensaver type file or whatever it is

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you notice the icon for the "folders" are the XP style ones.  You'll also notice that they have a size... yup, those are files.  idk what was on that drive but it looks like it's just all viruses now.

Yup

U have any suggestions ?

Just now, Anuraag said:

Ikr !! But look at it. Windows is showing that it's a screensaver type file or whatever it is

because it is

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Anuraag said:

Yup

U have any suggestions ?

you could try a disk recovery program I suppose

Just now, Anuraag said:

I don't think those will be recoverable. Sorry man. you can try changing it to a .zip but I can't be 100% sure that will work.

The geek himself.

I wouldn't trust that friend of yours with your data and/or HDD again. 

Did they say what they were doing or did that caused the drastic changes? 

3 hours ago, Anuraag said:

Nope.

Are you sure about that?... ".SCR" files are associated with scripts. 

Man, what type of friend is he/she? I mean, they probably had a virus on their system before plugging in the external drive or...they put a virus themselves. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, IAmLamp said:

Are you sure about that?... ".SCR" files are associated with trojans. 

well, they're screensaver files but often used to distribute viruses, same as exe

So can anyone tell me what should I be doing now to recover my files or repair my hard disk ? Please help me. I have very important files on that disk.

3 minutes ago, Anuraag said:

So can anyone tell me what should I be doing now to recover my files or repair my hard disk ? Please help me. I have very important files on that disk.

I think its just a prank.

It's just the names being changed, reverting the name back with their extensions should fix the issues.

Edited by Xenift

No it's not a prank. I've tried changing it's formats but it's not working. Even the antivirus is showing a virus detection.

23 minutes ago, Anuraag said:

I said you need to run a disk recovery software that will try to restore all the deleted data

20 minutes ago, Xenift said:

I think its just a prank.

It's just the names being changed, reverting the name back with their extensions should fix the issues.

It's not a prank... it's not just renamed, there were folders of data and now those are all deleted and it's been replaced with screensaver files with the same name as the old folders to try to trick the user into opening them.