AMD VEGA official details

NumLock21

anyone who says 'big' RX vega wont beat the 1080 and will be a 1070 competitor is ether a troll or clueless.... honestly the only reason im waiting for vega is because nvidias poor performance on ryzen and freesync 2, im not a hopeless AMD fanboy ether i doubt it will be on par with the 1080ti ether it will probably fall in the middle 

37 minutes ago, Agost said:

"ATI Technologies"

wut

Yeah, that was weird. I'm surprised it didn't say Radeon Technologies Group.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

45 minutes ago, Agost said:

"ATI Technologies"

wut

They still use the ATI name for quite a few things. Even their driver download server still has the ATI name.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

They still use the ATI name for quite a few things. Even their driver download server still has the ATI name.

But it doens't make sense for a certification, since it's RTG now

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Just now, Agost said:

Depends on whether or not the certification authority uses an account based system, of which, ATI is still the name on.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Depends on whether or not the certification authority uses an account based system, of which, ATI is still the name on.

meh

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

5 minutes ago, Agost said:

It is how companies operate. ATI TECHNOLOGIES ULC is a company owned by AMD.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=396414

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=302278645

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

30 minutes ago, juri-han said:

anyone who says 'big' RX vega wont beat the 1080 and will be a 1070 competitor is ether a troll or clueless.... 

How are you not clueless about something we know nothing about?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

How are you not clueless about something we know nothing about?

you may know nothing about vega but we do, it was shown off at least twice in public even with alpha drivers and taped up vents it was on par with a overclocked 1080 so unless it got worse i very much doubt it 

not to mention all the leaks over the last week, if you just stick to the hard facts and what AMD has said its about 10% above a 1080 so you can knock this 'we' crap off, not claiming to be a expert but pretty Fing far from 'clueless' 

23 minutes ago, juri-han said:

you may know nothing about vega but we do, it was shown off at least twice in public even with alpha drivers and taped up vents it was on par with a overclocked 1080 so unless it got worse i very much doubt it 

not to mention all the leaks over the last week, if you just stick to the hard facts and what AMD has said its about 10% above a 1080 so you can knock this 'we' crap off, not claiming to be a expert but pretty Fing far from 'clueless' 

We saw Vega running SW Battlefront in space with very little going on. When was the second time? 

There have also been a bunch of rumors showing it being worse than a 1080, so why are your rumors more accurate than those?

At this point we know nothing about how powerful Vega will be -- we know some details about the product, but anyone who claims to have even the slightest clue about the performance is speaking out of their ass.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

30 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

We saw Vega running SW Battlefront in space with very little going on. When was the second time? 

There have also been a bunch of rumors showing it being worse than a 1080, so why are your rumors more accurate than those?

At this point we know nothing about how powerful Vega will be -- we know some details about the product, but anyone who claims to have even the slightest clue about the performance is speaking out of their ass.

the second time you mean when they played doom and showed the fps on screen at 4k over 60 fps? and most of these rumors have vega clocked at 1200ghz so its ether a ES or fake since we know it will be over 1500+ ... and if your asking why rumors are more accurate then facts you have other problems maybe you should do some research before you tell people they are talking out of their ass

5 minutes ago, juri-han said:

the second time you mean when they played doom and showed the fps on screen at 4k over 60 fps? and most of these rumors have vega clocked at 1200ghz and we know it will be over 1500+ ... maybe you should do some research before you tell people they are talking out of their ass

They ran Doom on Vulkan at 4k ultra and got about 70fps. A fury X gets about 55 fps and a 1080 gets about 63fps. That puts Vega about 25% ahead of a Fury X and about 10% of a 1080 -- in Doom. 

A 1080 is about 40% faster than a Fury X in GTA V, 30% faster in Dishonored 2, 45% in Rise of the Tomb Raider, 12% in Sniper Elite 4, 12% in BF1....

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-benchmarks-return-vulkan-vs-opengl/2/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_strix_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_review,14.html

And how are you so confident it will run at 1500mhz+? It very well may, but how do you know? Are you part of the design team? Have you physically tested the card? No, you're making baseless assumptions. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They ran Doom on Vulkan at 4k ultra and got about 70fps. A fury X gets about 55 fps and a 1080 gets about 63fps. That puts Vega about 25% ahead of a Fury X and about 10% of a 1080 -- in Doom. 

A 1080 is about 40% faster than a Fury X in GTA V, 30% faster in Dishonored 2, 45% in Rise of the Tomb Raider, 12% in Sniper Elite 4, 12% in BF1....

http://www.pcgamer.com/doom-benchmarks-return-vulkan-vs-opengl/2/

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_rog_strix_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_review,14.html

And how are you so confident it will run at 1500mhz+? It very well may, but how do you know? Are you part of the design team? Have you physically tested the card? No, you're making baseless assumptions. 

if you knew they ran doom then why did you need to ask? then dismiss it and say well it was vulkan after all leaving out the fact early drivers lack of cooling ect... on may 16th AMD is going to show off vega so this point will be moot im not going to argue about it just it would be mind mind boggling stupid for them to launch their high end card with less power then the 1070

6 minutes ago, juri-han said:

if you knew they ran doom then why did you need to ask? then dismiss it and say well it was vulkan after all leaving out the fact early drivers lack of cooling ect...

it would be mind mind boggling stupid for them to launch a card with less power then the 1070

I was also comparing a run from July 2016 to the Vega run which was in January 2017, there were also likely improvements during that time as well that would affect all the other cards. And what makes you think Vega had a cooling issue in the demo? My point was, you can't just take one or two benchmarks (especially first party benchmarks) to mean much as they can easily be meaningless. 

Just like it was mind bogglingly stupid for them to launch Bulldozer, or for them to launch Polaris and leave the high end completely undisputed for over a year. 

The fact is we really don't know how Vega will perform nor will we until we've seen third party benchmarks.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I was also comparing a run from July 2016 to the Vega run which was in January 2017, there were also likely improvements during that time as well that would affect all the other cards. And what makes you think Vega had a cooling issue in the demo? My point was, you can't just take one or two benchmarks (especially first party benchmarks) to mean much as they can easily be meaningless. 

Just like it was mind bogglingly stupid for them to launch Bulldozer, or for them to launch Polaris and leave the high end completely undisputed for over a year. 

The fact is we really don't know how Vega will perform nor will we until we've seen third party benchmarks.

We know there will be 2 vega cards what's the point of the BIG vega being on par with the 1070 witch doesn't leave much room for the little vega card between that at the 580 it's just basic logic

and as for lack of cooling at every event vega was shown off all of the vents had tape over them even the GPUs lol

11 minutes ago, juri-han said:

We know there will be 2 vega cards what's the point of the BIG vega being on par with the 1070 witch doesn't leave much room for the little vega card between that at the 580 it's just basic logic

and as for lack of cooling at every event vega was shown off all of the vents had tape over them even the GPUs lol

We don't even know that there will be two vega cards. We know there are two vega chips -- that can easily mean 2-4 cards. I don't think the big version will be on par with the 1070, but if Vega failed as an architecture (which I don't think is the case) then AMD would still have no choice but to release Vega GPUs as they have nothing else that would be ready any time soon -- so they would either have to completely forfeit the high end or at least attempt to gain back some of the high end. So, yes, it's basic logic that AMD WANTS Vega to perform competitively, but Vega could have not lived up to their expectations or Nvidia could've overshot their expectations. It takes years to develop a GPU. 

They could be watercooled.... This also isn't taped up, they just taped up the top panel, there is still airflow. 

b572z67.png

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 hours ago, 2Buck said:

As much as I'd love to be wrong about this, I just don't think Vega will touch the 1080ti. I'd be pretty surprised if it could beat the 1080. But who knows, let's just wait and see what happens.

Well, if they benchmark it on Ryzen.  Vega probably toasts the 1080ti.  Haha.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, if they benchmark it on Ryzen.  Vega probably toasts the 1080ti.  Haha.

This is what I'm interesting in the most honestly, let's say 3rd party everything fair if vega is even 10% better on ryzen then Intel I'd be fine with it being on par with a 1080 

8 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

Big VEGA with the full fat HBM2 is projected to compete with the 1080 at 1500mhz, and since this isn't GCN, it'll probably hit higher than that

Just trying to not get overhyped, keeping my expectations low just in case. Though deep down I'm hoping it's the second coming of Christ, because that's what AMD needs right now. I've already decided I'm building a Ryzen 1700 system later this year, it'd be cool to go full AMD if Vega kicks some ass, haven't done that since I was rocking a 3000+ and 9600 pro, haha.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

9 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

Just trying to not get overhyped, keeping my expectations low just in case. Though deep down I'm hoping it's the second coming of Christ, because that's what AMD needs right now. I've already decided I'm building a Ryzen 1700 system later this year, it'd be cool to go full AMD if Vega kicks some ass, haven't done that since I was rocking a 3000+ and 9600 pro, haha.

either way it will be great for amd as it will be super fast for Ai,

I just watched a nokia bell labs video where they talk about AI and one thing jumped to me: (i am paraphrasing) "We don't need 32 or even 16 bits of precision 4 and 6 would be enough (for different things) and you know what card also supports double fp16 ? vega 50 Tflops of 8 bit precision, although they would need to change the software to use it it could be great.

4 hours ago, juri-han said:

This is what I'm interesting in the most honestly, let's say 3rd party everything fair if vega is even 10% better on ryzen then Intel I'd be fine with it being on par with a 1080 

There are games where the 1070 & 1080/Ti are roughly the same on Ryzen.  It's an Nvidia driver issue. It's not as bad under DX11, but DX12 just doesn't work properly on Ryzen for "reasons". (Only seen Rocket League for DX9 tested, but the same thing cropped up there as well.)  Which is why there is a very real chance that some of the testing will show huge performance differences over the Nvidia offerings, just because of the issues with their driver on Ryzen.

This is also the reason the original reviewers that were singing Ryzen's praises were the ones testing on 1070s. The current Nvidia + Ryzen combo simply can't get much scaling in the difference between the 1070 and 1080 right now in a number of games. DX12 games could be a complete wipe out, if they scale like other aspects we've seen.