I need a very specific program...

Hello guys,

I would like to know if a program that monitors network traffic from a pc and alerts another one (both are connected to the same router and in the same house) when a specific site is being viewed exists. Before anyone starts yelling "privacy" at me, it's because my stubborn little brother never does him homework (for which he needs his PC) and goes on YT and we've been getting reports of him doing his hmw in class or not at all lately.

If such a program doesn't exist, is there anyone who could make one for me? I know it may be a lot to ask if you have to write it all for me but I'd really really appreciate of anyone can link me to such a program or made one for me. I'm bad at even making .bat files so I don't think I can make it myself nor have the time to learn programming right now. Please if anyone can do this for me, I would be infinitely thankful. Also, we are both running windows 10 and if the program sends me timestamps of when YT is being viewed it's gonna be good, or just make a notification pop-up on my pc without alerting him works too.

I can give you monitoring network traffic: Wireshark

Might be able to add an extention or modify it to allow alerting.

Easy option is to just block youtube via router settings till he does his HW

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Adding on: To use Wireshark you will need to route his traffic through your computer. Via Wifi (Connectify free can host a hotspot) or ethernet for maximum effect and secrecy. (Remove his wireless card if you do use Wifi.)

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

just do a MITM attack whenever he has to do homework and nulroute youtube. ettercap has functionality that allows that.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

just do a MITM attack whenever he has to do homework and nulroute youtube. ettercap has functionality that allows that.

I'm not familiar wit technical terms so can you explain what it does? And how to do it with the program please? Thanks 

2 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

Adding on: To use Wireshark you will need to route his traffic through your computer. Via Wifi (Connectify free can host a hotspot) or ethernet for maximum effect and secrecy. (Remove his wireless card if you do use Wifi.)

We are interconnected with cables, how do I do it now?

1 minute ago, Dunkan77 said:

We are interconnected with cables, how do I do it now?

Brothers -> Your computer directly -> Router -> Internet.

(Need to use a separate NIC here)

Run Wireshark and tell it to watch the NIC your brother is connected to.

--- Purple Prime ---

--- Proteus Server ---

--- Camera Stuff ---
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

7 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

I'm not familiar wit technical terms so can you explain what it does? And how to do it with the program please? Thanks 

MITM attack means a man in the middle attack. what it means is that a device on your network will intercept all the traffic from your brothers computer by telling his computer "hey i am the router, please send all your network requests trough me". nulroute means that you redirect whenever his computer tries to access a certain website it will fail because you intercepted the request and denied it.

MITM Attack

you need to run linux for this specific tool, im sure there are windows tools for it but i do not know how to use those.
the tool is here: https://ettercap.github.io/ettercap/

Okay I got ettercap and it seems to run for windows. I have a sniff tab up top and there are 2 options: unified and bridge sniffing. It asks me to input a network interface. what does that mean?

Probably where your brother is connected to your computer.

--- Purple Prime ---

--- Proteus Server ---

--- Camera Stuff ---
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

18 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

Brothers -> Your computer directly -> Router -> Internet.

(Need to use a separate NIC here)

Run Wireshark and tell it to watch the NIC your brother is connected to.

Can you explain how to do this to me please? I'm really lost... ettercap just asks "network Interface" , there's a drop down menu with nothing in it and I don't know what to input there. We're connected to the same router.

Just now, Dunkan77 said:

Can you explain how to do this to me please? I'm really lost... ettercap just asks "network Interface" , there's a drop down menu with nothing in it and I don't know what to input there. We're connected to the same router.

Use Wireshark, It does the same thing (Sort of) but is more simple.

You can't be connected via a router, it must be direct to you and then to the router.

If you want simple: MAC block him every time he needs to do HW or Block youtube if he needs the internet to research. If you have a fancy router you might be able to block only his access to youtube, Otherwise, everyone else will not be able to use youtube. 

--- Purple Prime ---

--- Proteus Server ---

--- Camera Stuff ---
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Well we can't be connected directly... we're in opposite corners of the house. Does that mean I'll have to go block youtube directly on his pc?

Duct tape him to the kitchen table with paper and pencils. He doesn't NEED a computer. He'll have to tell the teacher he doesn't have a computer and has to hand write all assignments. 

EDIT: make sure he doesn't have any electronic devices near him