Networking noob question, need some help sharing folders across network

I apologize in advance for anything extremely dense that I ask, for I am very inexperienced in networking. I just recently built my new home server/NAS (specs at the bottom of my sig) and I want to get started actually using it as a NAS. However for multiple reasons I have to run Windows on it so I'm looking for the best way to share files/folders on the server between that and my main PC. 

It seemed for a bit like setting up a homegroup was the best solution since they are both Windows 10 PCs, but the problem is I need to keep the NAS secured from others on the network, either by making it only visible to my PC or putting a password on access to its shared files, which it doesn't seem like a homegroup can do either of after some brief research. So what would be a good solution for me? 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

7 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I apologize in advance for anything extremely dense that I ask, for I am very inexperienced in networking. I just recently built my new home server/NAS (specs at the bottom of my sig) and I want to get started actually using it as a NAS. However for multiple reasons I have to run Windows on it so I'm looking for the best way to share files/folders on the server between that and my main PC. 

It seemed for a bit like setting up a homegroup was the best solution since they are both Windows 10 PCs, but the problem is I need to keep the NAS secured from others on the network, either by making it only visible to my PC or putting a password on access to its shared files, which it doesn't seem like a homegroup can do either of after some brief research. So what would be a good solution for me? 

So you are running windows on the NAS? Why not look into some open source NAS Software/OS?

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

Just now, S7117 said:

So you are running windows on the NAS? Why not look into some open source NAS Software/OS?

Running a few other things on the server that will only work in Windows, and currently don't have enough RAM for VMs to be a thing

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Running a few other things on the server that will only work in Windows, and currently don't have enough RAM for VMs to be a thing

So the only thing I can think of is set up a folder/directory and change permissions to allow only the computers you want to access it in the security tab of properties. (right click on the directory -> properties -> security -> add permissions)

Then you go to sharing and modify those setting to add permissions for sharing. Then in windows 10 you map the directory using the fully qualified domain name of the computer, if you have one, or the IP address. (may want to make the IP of the "server" static)

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

1 minute ago, S7117 said:

So the only thing I can think of is set up a folder/directory and change permissions to allow only the computers you want to access it in the security tab of properties. (right click on the directory -> properties -> security -> add permissions)

Then you go to sharing and modify those setting to add permissions for sharing. Then in windows 10 you map the directory using the fully qualified domain name of the computer, if you have one, or the IP address. (may want to make the IP of the "server" static)

Just a thought: The PC's are sitting right next to each other. Would it work to literally just hook them up with a USB A to A cable?

Just now, Spork829 said:

Just a thought: The PC's are sitting right next to each other. Would it work to literally just hook them up with a USB A to A cable?

Eh.... maybe Ethernet to Ethernet.... but i don't thing USB works that way? I have never tried A to A.... its hard to even find a cable for that.

Method 1 is what I would use. It's pretty easy once you figure it out compare to a homegroup. You can just simply map the share like this: \\ip_address\share_folder and be done.

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/map-network-drive-windows-10

add a new IP class

let's say all of your PCs are on this network: 192.168.0.x - everyone sees everyone

Windows allows you to use an alternate configuration on topf of the existing one, so put only select PCs on 192.168.1.x (example)

these select PCs would see each other and the rest of the network but the rest of the network cannot see this alternate config

so, to mask your NAS use the 192.168.1.x on the NAS as primary IP config - all but the select PCs will not be capable of seeing the NAS

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

add a new IP class

let's say all of your PCs are on this network: 192.168.0.x - everyone sees everyone

Windows allows you to use an alternate configuration on of of the existing one, so put only select PCs on 192.168.1.x (example)

these select PCs would see each other and the rest of the network but the rest of the network cannot see this alternate config

so, to mask you NAS, use the 192.168.1.x IP - all but the select PCs will not be capable of seeing the NAS

That sounds promising. How exactly would I go about swapping the server and main PC over to the new IP class? Again, total networking noob xD 

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

That sounds promising. How exactly would I go about swapping the server and main PC over to the new IP class? Again, total networking noob xD 

you do not swap, you add

0HTS2Lr.png

Just now, zMeul said:

0HTS2Lr.png

Ah okay. I know subnet mask, default gateway and DNS but what do I fill out WINS server with?

Just now, Spork829 said:

Ah okay. I know subnet mask, default gateway and DNS but what do I fill out WINS server with?

nada

Just now, zMeul said:

nada

Well that's nice and easy. Going to bed which I really should have done hours ago but thanks for your help and I will try this out tomorrow :)