How to convince my DAD???

(I want my dad to finance a part of my future computer) What arguments could I give to my dad in order for him to stop being only attracted to Alienware? I can't seem to reason him and he doesn't want to listen to me each time I show him far better deals on Kijiji (local EBay lookalike) and the only time he does, it's to respond to me by saying that you have no warranty whatsoever. Please?

So true it hurts

1 hour ago, SirFlamenco said:

(I want my dad to finance a part of my future computer) What arguments could I give to my dad in order for him to stop being only attracted to Alienware? I can't seem to reason him and he doesn't want to listen to me each time I show him far better deals on Kijiji (local EBay lookalike) and the only time he does, it's to respond to me by saying that you have no warranty whatsoever. Please?

Not sure if this will work BUT. try saying Alienware is pre-built.

whereas if you build a pc yourself you have the parts you need necessary for what you want to do.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you buy from Alienware your warranty is one year. If you build your own system the warranty is 3 years on most components.

Plus if a single component fails you can just send that back rather than the entire system.

I have never thought parents would choose expensive garbage over quality deals

Peculiar that your dad actually wants to pay more..

1. Buying an Alienware pre-built has no learning curve. If your dad doesn't care about learning, get a new dad (s).
  2. Better value for money- a much higher performing PC for the same cost or the same performance for a much lower cost. 
  3. You can troubleshoot your own PC and don't have to rely on Alienware customer service.
  4. The skills acquired by building one PC can be used in the future. The first PC I worked on was a Pentium 4 PC when I was 6. Then I helped someone build a Sandy Bridge system,and eventually my current PC 1.5 years ago. 

10 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Not sure if this will work BUT. try saying Alienware is pre-built.

whereas if you build a pc yourself you have the parts you need necessary for what you want to do.

10 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If you buy from Alienware your warranty is one year. If you build your own system the warranty is 3 years on most components.

5 hours ago, Akima said:

Plus if a single component fails you can just send that back rather than the entire system.

4 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Peculiar that your dad actually wants to pay more..

1. Buying an Alienware pre-built has no learning curve. If your dad doesn't care about learning, get a new dad (s).
  2. Better value for money- a much higher performing PC for the same cost or the same performance for a much lower cost. 
  3. You can troubleshoot your own PC and don't have to rely on Alienware customer service.
  4. The skills acquired by building one PC can be used in the future. The first PC I worked on was a Pentium 4 PC when I was 6. Then I helped someone build a Sandy Bridge system,and eventually my current PC 1.5 years ago. 

Actually I think a lot of you forgot something : I will buy an ENTIRE system used, not build it on pcpartpicker.. So I want arguments I could use when he says used products don't have any warranty-Is this even true?

So true it hurts

46 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

Actually I think a lot of you forgot something : I will buy an ENTIRE system used, not build it on pcpartpicker.. So I want arguments I could use when he says used products don't have any warranty-Is this even true?

Why won't you just build one? I've seen you recommend a shit-ton of parts lists here, and even though a lot of them are horrible, why not practice what you preach and build a PC?

Your dad is right. It'll be difficult to RMA used items, and many may be past their warranty. Also, if the owner doesn't hand over the proof of purchase, you may not be able to RMA it even if it's under warranty. It's the compromise of used hardware.

4 hours ago, SirFlamenco said:

I guess you could kick and scream but he's probably right.

12 hours ago, SirFlamenco said:

used parts have no warranty. It's his money so deal with it