How people alter biomes for food production.

chris76816

Hi everyone, I know this has nothing to do with tech but does anyone have any ideas how people have altered biomes for food production. I just have an assignment due on Thursday and i'm struggling to think of ideas. Thanks everyone.

clear cutting Forrest to turn into grazing area for live stock or planting food.

Look up the american dust bowl.  It involved displacing native drought tolerant grass to plant wheat and what ensues when a drought occurred.

Often times in the midwest entire rivers would be dammed up and flooded to create lakes sized hundreds of acres or more, leaving hundreds of acres of homes, roads, etc underwater.   This allowed the river's floodwaters to be controlled via the dam's floodgates, allowing farmland to exist closer to river boundaries without fear of being flooded.  All the floodwater could simply be dumped into the lake.

A great example of this to look up would be lake Truman or Pomme de Terre lake, both located in Missouri.  Both lakes are actually a combination of river systems dammed up for the reason stated above.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

In southern Spain there's a desert area that was transformed into a massive city of reflective greenhouses which has supposedly even reduced the temperature of the surrounding region.

Can't remember the name of the place, but it's called the plastic city or something.

EDIT: Google helped me:

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/08/the-greenhouses-of-almeria.html