What VPN program do you guys use/recommend?

I'm not sure what else to say here...

The title is pretty self explanatory. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I've been using CyberGhost and I flappin love it. Really isn't much of a speed dropoff even though I connect to Sweden (though ping jumps obviously).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I've been using CyberGhost and I flappin love it. Really isn't much of a speed dropoff even though I connect to Sweden (though ping jumps obviously).

I'll check it out.

By "VPN program" do you mean protocol? If so, I personally recommend L2TP for encryption and PPTP for performance.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I'm not sure what else to say here...

im a big fan of private internet access. multiple devices, works well, never had any down time. Cheap

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

I don't use VPNs much, but as they are a sponsor I've tried tunnelbear and its super simple to use.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

Cyberghost is the paid VPN I would recommend. I wouldn't recommend any free VPN - there will either be a data or bandwidth limit, or they're logging everything and selling that shit lmao

You could also configure your own VPN by renting a VPS if you're fairly capable in that area.  

I personally use Hotspot Shield. At first I went for it because I got a great deal on a year long subscription but over time they've greatly improved the software so now I stick with it because it just works and is fast. Connecting to the servers used to take a while but now it's basically instant and there's virtually no speed drop. I sometimes forget to turn it off when gaming and don't even realise due to the relatively small increase in ping (for servers close to me. Primarily use Sweden, Ireland, Germany and Netherlands servers). 

I do plan on switching to something like PIA after this year though, as I'd like something with support for OpenVPN on my FreeNAS server. 

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

By "VPN program" do you mean protocol? If so, I personally recommend L2TP for encryption and PPTP for performance.

i don't know to be honest.

i've never really used a VPN i only know about Tunnelbear and Cyberghost.

PIA, but protonVPN is in beta right now and should be released into the wild soon. They have a very secure email client too, available as apps on android for sure, but think they also have IOS maybe. Anyway, some of the people behind it are the same scientists that worked at CERN https://protonmail.com/

Have been using the email for a little while now, and the app... very good, and will see about the VPN when it's out of beta.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

i dont use one personaly, i dont have the cash for one that i wouldent rage over when it comes to the speeds lol. anyway i have a friend that uses Nord VPN and thinks its pretty good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

i don't know to be honest.

i've never really used a VPN i only know about Tunnelbear and Cyberghost.

In that case don't worry too much about protocols and just pick a reputable VPN provider. I personally prefer and recommend Private Internet Access to my friends and family who don't want to build and manage their own VPN servers. They're cheap and easy to use and their lawyer is a really nice guy who knows his stuff and will fight tooth and nail to protect your privacy.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

In that case don't worry too much about protocols and just pick a reputable VPN provider. I personally prefer and recommend Private Internet Access to my friends and family who don't want to build and manage their own VPN servers. They're cheap and easy to use and their lawyer is a really nice guy who knows his stuff and will fight tooth and nail to protect your privacy.

Thanks! :) 

I'll check that out as well

20 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:I'm not sure what else to say here...

Tunnelbear is the easy to use VPN service that allows you to tunnel around up to 20 different countries. All you have to do is click a button, and boom. You'll begin to appear as if you were somewhere else entirely. Their plans start off at around $5 a month and you can use the offer code 'LTT' to get a discount on your first purchase. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

35 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Is this the proper page?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/