Intel Core i7 7740K

NumLock21
34 minutes ago, MonkeyBrainz said:

For everything that isn't gaming and content creation, 4/4 is more than enough. Offices, schools, libraries, and so many other places with PCs generally don't even need more than a Pentium or Core I3.

yep on a h110 board - but we aren't talking about consumer pleb stuff - we're talking about enthusiast computers.  Although since you want to talk consumer pleb stuff - in a couple years it will be more cost effective to just make celerons and pentiums true quad cores than it will be to engineer dual cores.  Then it will be outdated in any machine.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

2 hours ago, Cracklingice said:

4/4 is already outdated.  You see it in benchmarks where they cannot keep up with the i7.  Definitely agree about the i7 on the enthusiast platform.  Though the i5 is a complete waste of time.

But the chips must feature 32+ lanes of pcie and quad channel memory or intel screwed the pooch on it.

Well, unless you can get 6ghz on air with 95% of all the chips - and I highly doubt that.

Lol. 4/4 isn't outdated for 95% of people. Unless you are running super high end hardware, i5's are still perfectly fine and the difference between them goes away as resolution goes up.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

A summary of the comment section of this thread:

• First people are debating in which generation this CPU falls. 
  • zMeul is crying. 
  • Then people are talking about some industry nonsense they don't even understand. 
  • People are complaining how terrible Intel is. 
  • zMeul is still crying. 
  • At the end no one cares.

Stop guys, I'm out of popcorn. 

If this CPU can at least challenge Ryzen 7 in workstation applications then that's a start but Intel are going to have to up their game for Coffee Lake, maybe a refurbishment of the of the product lines. So what I mean is that the Core i3 will have 4 cores 0 threads, the i5 will have 6 cores and 12 threads and the i7 10 cores and 20 threads.   

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Can't believe they are putting quad cores on the enthusiast platform. (Not the first time though, looking at you 3820)

Not even getting quad channel memory which is the best thing ever about the enthusiast platform. The speed is nuts. 

Guess it's *OK* if you plan on stepping up properly later on, just looks useless right now. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Can't believe they are putting quad cores on the enthusiast platform. (Not the first time though, looking at you 3820)

Not even getting quad channel memory which is the best thing ever about the enthusiast platform. The speed is nuts. 

Guess it's *OK* if you plan on stepping up properly later on, just looks useless right now. 

And the 4820k.

It looks useless and stupid unless it's priced less than a 7700k (to account for the more expensive chipset). If it's priced the same as a 7700k, then there wouldn't be any reason to get a 7740k over a 7800k (50% more, of the same, cores for an extra $50 is a no brainer when you're looking at a platform cost of $500+). Of course, it doesn't necessarily HAVE to make sense; Intel could also just release a stupid product (like AMD did with the 9590) and hope that people waste extra money on it. 

39 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

4 cores 0 threads

What kind of voodoo magic is that

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

39 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Core i3 will have 4 cores 0 threads, the i5 will have 6 cores and 12 threads and the i7 10 cores and 20 threads.   

drugs must be quality where you're from. 

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

And the 4820k.

It looks useless and stupid unless it's priced less than a 7700k (to account for the more expensive chipset). If it's priced the same as a 7700k, then there wouldn't be any reason to get a 7740k over a 7800k (50% more of the same cores for an extra $50). Of course, it doesn't necessarily HAVE to make sense; Intel could also just release a stupid product (like the 9590 for example) and hope that people waste extra money on it. 

It's probably to try and make the X299 platform more "gamer" friendly. Give them the option to upgrade if they want (which they should)

Sure next year Intel could go one better and through dual cores on there too. Or scrap Z series altogether. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

drugs must be quality where you're from. 

Why? 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Why? 

4 core i3s, 6 core i5s and 10 core i7s? You really don't see the issue? 

Doesn't make any sense at all. All that will happen is that there will be some really pricey i3s and i5s. Not going to mention the cost for the i7. 

The i3 is totally fine with two cores + HT. The i5 is fine with its 4 real cores and the i7 is even better with HT. There's no need to refresh the line. 

hmu with your dealer fam.

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

4 core i3s, 6 core i5s and 10 core i7s? You really don't see the issue? 

Doesn't make any sense at all. All that will happen is that there will be some really pricey i3s and i5s. Not going to mention the cost for the i7. 

The i3 is totally fine with two cores + HT. The i5 is fine with its 4 real cores and the i7 is even better with HT. There's no need to refresh the line. 

hmu with your dealer fam.

Well they need to do something. 

زندگی از چراغ

2 hours ago, Cracklingice said:

Everyone seems to miss the point that high end gaming systems can now be built on the high end desktop platform without sacrificing frame rate to slower clock speeds and lower ipc.

Perhaps. But what's the advantage? More PCIe lanes? I don't think there was really a shortage on LGA1151, plus the leaks I've seen show that it doesn't gain any. Still has 16.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Well they need to do something. 

Anything but that. 

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Anything but that. 

If Ryzen starts to seriously affect Intel's sales, then we'll no question see some changes on the consumer platform -- specifically a shift down of all SKUs. 

Celerons - dual cores (no big changes, maybe more cache)

Pentiums - HT dual cores (will probably get AVX support and become full i3s).

i3's - 4c/4t and replace the i5 

i5's - 4c/8t and replace the i7

The i7 is where things get kind of interesting/confusing -- specifically because Intel has two platforms (consumer and HEDT).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

If Ryzen starts to seriously affect Intel's sales, then we'll no question see some changes on the consumer platform -- specifically a shift down of all SKUs. 

The i7 is where things get kind of interesting/confusing -- specifically because Intel has two platforms (consumer and HEDT).

i7 consumer is rumored to get a 6/12 in the near future, like with C-lake.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

As long as HEDT stays the way it is i'm ok with that. 

Although the consumer shifting would seem very odd. 

What we really need is:

• Pentium to keep on being hyperthreaded dual cores,
  • i3 to be non hyperthreaded tri core
  • i5 to be hyperthreaded tri cores (running my 4790K like that right now....and I'm noticing no difference in the way my rig is running)
  • i7 to only be the 4 core 8 thread sku, and any higher core/thread count CPU having a different identifier

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

What we really need is:

• Pentium to keep on being hyperthreaded dual cores,
  • i3 to be non hyperthreaded tri core
  • i5 to be hyperthreaded tri cores (running my 4790K like that right now....and I'm noticing no difference in the way my rig is running)
  • i7 to only be the 4 core 8 thread sku, and any higher core/thread count CPU having a different identifier

More likely celeron dual core, pentium dual core HT, i3 quad core, i5 quad core HT, i7 hexacore HT

This is, in all honesty, a pathetic response to Ryzen 5.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

5 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

It will be better when the next generation hits.  Yes the 7740k is not really all that great even if they do provide all the features it needs of 32 to 40 pcie lanes and quad channel memory, but when it comes time for the 8740k and it's six core - then it will be a much better looking option.

2 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

-snip-

It's a niche of a nice market they're aiming for, why you'd want all those HEDT features with just a quad core I really don't know. By the time the 8740K launches Zen 2 will most likely be out, providing a supposed 15% IPC uplift among other changes, if all Intel is really doing is moving six cores into the mainstream then it doesn't seem like an adequate response.

6 minutes ago, MonkeyBrainz said:

-snip-

And Zen has been on AMD's roadmaps  a since 2015. Companies plan responses to their competitors products years in advance, I quite frankly think Intel underestimated AMD's ability to make such a comeback, and as such don't have an adequate response.

16 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

I would have settled for @MonkeyBrainz taking care of this, but since I too have said this exact same thing before, I figured I'd double down. Take it away, Past MageTank!

Great work Past MageTank, you always know what to do when I do not. 

1 minute ago, Citadelen said:

And Zen has been on AMD's roadmaps  a since 2015. Companies plan responses to their competitors products years in advance, I quite frankly think Intel underestimated AMD's ability to make such a comeback, and as such don't have an adequate response.

Yes, and Intel totally planned to release an unlocked quad-core on their workstation/enthusiast platform years in advance because they knew AMD's exact product stack would call for it. I think you being an AMD fanboy is starting to cloud your judgement. Otherwise, you would not be making this claim as if it's actually true. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, Citadelen said:

It's a niche of a nice market they're aiming for, why you'd want all those HEDT features with just a quad core I really don't know. By the time the 8740K launches Zen 2 will most likely be out, providing a supposed 15% IPC uplift among other changes, if all Intel is really doing is moving six cores into the mainstream then it doesn't seem like an adequate response.

It will be six cores and IPC gain.  It's also not about a quad core on HEDT - it's about current generation architecture on HEDT.  Unless you have a load that can optimally use the 4 more threads, going one generation older with a couple hundred mhz slower clocks (or more) isn't an upgrade - it's a downgrade.  Like going from 7700k to 6800k for gaming.  It makes no sense that consumer grade hardware is the top of the line for gaming and it's been that way for years.  That is what they are fixing by putting the current consumer grade top tier product onto the enthusiast lineup.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Yes, and Intel totally planned to release an unlocked quad-core on their workstation/enthusiast platform years in advance because they knew AMD's exact product stack would call for it. I think you being an AMD fanboy is starting to cloud your judgement. Otherwise, you would not be making this claim as if it's actually true. 

It's not about it being a quad core.  Cores do not equal performance in everything.  It's about the latest arcitecture on HEDT when it's still relevant then that architecture gets more cores when the new architecture comes out and replaces the lower core count.  Again, it's about filling the gap of having to use consumer hardware for the highest performance when the workload does not benefit from high core count.

And all of my arguments do go out the window if intel drops the ball and they are not fully featured chips like they need to be.

Just now, Cracklingice said:

It's not about it being a quad core.  Cores do not equal performance in everything.  It's about the latest arcitecture on HEDT when it's still relevant then that architecture gets more cores when the new architecture comes out and replaces the lower core count.  Again, it's about filling the gap of having to use consumer hardware for the highest performance when the workload does not benefit from high core count.

And all of my arguments do go out the window if intel drops the ball and they are not fully featured chips like they need to be.

I am sorry, but I did not understand this post at all, and I've read it 3 times now. I do not mean to be rude, but can you re-structure this for me so that I can understand it? Specifically this part:

It's about the latest arcitecture on HEDT when it's still relevant then that architecture gets more cores when the new architecture comes out and replaces the lower core count. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

12 minutes ago, MageTank said:

-snip-

Yeah I see my error, I responded to his point about roadmaps but accidentally contradicted my original point. I'm not surprised honestly, it's almost one am here and I'm battling a nasty cold. In all honesty I still can't work out what you're trying to say in the beginning of your post, I'm sorry it's too taxing for me. xD

Oh and don't worry I haven't the faintest idea what @Cracklingice is trying to say either. :/

7 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

-snip-

Ah yes, a 1-3% IPC gain, Intel is REALLY going to shake up the market this time.