Intel Core i7 7740K

NumLock21
15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Entry level starts at 4 cores, but Intel need to sell at a lower price than mainstream to get people onboard the HEDT platform. Then it won't make any sense either, when you're going high-end just get a 6 core.

You're forgetting that the high core counts don't always reach the per core speed of the lower ones and are one generation older.  What I am stating is this is the start of a step up in core counts on both platforms.  We'll likely see the i3 as a true quad core, i5 as 4c/8t and i7 as 6c/12 in the next consumer level parts.  Then we'll see the high core count HEDTs starting at 8 core Kabylake-x and C-lake with a 6 core on the same platform.  The C-lake will likely offer 10-15% or so in single core performance over the K-lake (possibly max OC of both chips or stock we don't know yet) making it the better choice for pure gaming.  Being on the X299 chipset it would also make it a better choice for high end multi gpu builds over a consumer (z370) C-lake.  It's a best of both worlds scenario.

I would like to point out this is all based on speculation and rumors.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

I don't think many people would buy a 7740K at all. Anything else on the platform with more cores wouldn't cost that much more to buy over it (the entry level models that is), and with the 7700K's platform being cheaper-what is Intel smoking?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

52 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Inte’s still lagging behind? Really? Am I reading those OPS numbers right?

You're looking at a 4c/8t i7 vs. a 6c/12t R5.

13 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I don't think many people would buy a 7740K at all. Anything else on the platform with more cores wouldn't cost that much more to buy over it (the entry level models that is), and with the 7700K's platform being cheaper-what is Intel smoking?

Maybe the 7740k will be cheaper than a 7700k? It wouldn't really make sense otherwise. Intel could sell a 7740k for less and make up the profit loss compared to a 7700k by a more expensive x299 chipset. Then Intel makes the same/similar amount of money while enticing people with a platform that will allow them upgrade room even if they start with a 4c/8t cpu. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

14 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The 7740k may not be as popular as the next generation when the 8740k will likely be 6/12.  The 7740k will also likely see higher potential overclocks as it has more thermal headroom and the X299 platform will probably be able to provide more and cleaner power.  Personally I think it will be popular as you'll now be able to get the best available single core performance likely with more pcie lanes and quad channel memory.  If so, it will be the best option for a high end gaming system.  I mean think about it.  A high end gaming system right now is a 7700k, a consumer chip on a consumer chipset.  It makes no sense that a high end any system would not be on the high end desktop platform.

16 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

The 7740k may not be as popular as the next generation when the 8740k will likely be 6/12.  The 7740k will also likely see higher potential overclocks as it has more thermal headroom and the X299 platform will probably be able to provide more and cleaner power.  Personally I think it will be popular as you'll now be able to get the best available single core performance likely with more pcie lanes and quad channel memory.  If so, it will be the best option for a high end gaming system.  I mean think about it.  A high end gaming system right now is a 7700k, a consumer chip on a consumer chipset.  It makes no sense that a high end any system would not be on the high end desktop platform.

The power delivery though depends on which mootherboard gets chosen, and a lot of LGA1151 motherboards have a beefy VRM setup, far more than my old LGA775 boards which have taken my Xeon X5450 to 4.4GHz, with far more power consumption than any of Intel's modern uad cores (over double)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

you are not right

generation behind?! X99 was 1st, then 100 series so what are you talking about?

He meant architectural generation. 5th gen, 4th gen, etc. He's completely correct. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's the same with i3/i5/i7.  Odd numbers starting with 3 for no apparent reason.

They were obviously chosen because they are a prime number of primes, evenly spaced by a prime.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

7740k.. why that name...?

Kaby Lake - X is 7740k and 7760k(afaik this will be available as well). Skylake-X will be 7800k+

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

So is this literally just a binned 7700K on a different socket?

That's all I'm seeing.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it has more PCIe lanes, then could make sense to someone.

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

If it has more PCIe lanes, then could make sense to someone.

But even then, 24 is plenty if you manage it right. 2 cards for SLI/Crossfire, an M.2 PCI-Express SSD, and a capture card would only take 21/24 lanes. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Am I the only one that sees this as kind of a pointless chip?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

But even then, 24 is plenty if you manage it right. 2 cards for SLI/Crossfire, an M.2 PCI-Express SSD, and a capture card would only take 21/24 lanes. 

7700k is 16 lanes to the cpu.  1x16 or 2x8 or 1x8+2x4

Every other lane must go through the chipset that is 8 GT/s DMI3. I believe it's approximately the bandwith of 4 lanes pcie rev 3.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Am I the only one that sees this as kind of a pointless chip?

Just now, RagnarokDel said:

wait this is going to require a different socket then Kaby-Lake? bah.

Everyone seems to miss the point that high end gaming systems can now be built on the high end desktop platform without sacrificing frame rate to slower clock speeds and lower ipc.

Just now, Cracklingice said:

Everyone seems to miss the point that high end gaming systems can now be built on the high end desktop platform without sacrificing frame rate to slower clock speeds and lower ipc.

why would I care?  If you dont get more PCIE lanes, it changes nothing. You're paying an extra $100 for a motherboard that doesnt give you much more by itself.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

if it's indeed 7740K, then it's Kaby-X

but 4 cores? must be the cheapest CPU on that platform

Likely cheaper than any 99 motherboard I've ever seen so right off the bat: if true it's retarded.

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, Cracklingice said:

Nobody missed that point: they just bought 1151 and a 7700k instead and save a shitload on the motherboard which doesn't features lots of high end shit they don't need anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

17 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you have the CPU with 4x GPU/compute cards in a workstation running GPU intenstive tasks, you don't need a tonne of CPU cores to feed those GPUs.

I don't expect this configuration to be considered for gaming, or even really need to warrant to tiny savings that one would get by going for a 4 core over a 6 core CPU in such a system.

18 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

why would I care?  If you dont get more PCIE lanes, it changes nothing. You're paying an extra $100 for a motherboard that doesnt give you much more by itself.

We'll have to wait and see but my guess is that they will have 32 (possibly 40 since 6800k got the same lanes as the last gen) pcie lanes.  Enough for a true 16x16 crossfire and possibly 16+8x2 and 8x4

They will also likely have quad channel memory controllers.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How can you bin a processor that has a different socket into another? 

My guess is that it is an 'improved' manufacturing process with more pcie lanes connected to the cpu(hence more number of pins? Dunno just a guess)

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

So someone educate me one this. We will have Kaby Lake -X and Skylake-X but also Skylake-E?

Edited by FratStar
stupid error
Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240