Looking to add display internally into case

MeDownYou

Need a recommendation on display screen for in my case. I want basically to have a mini second monitor mounted in my case, so requirements would be needs to be an 4-8 inch display with ability to plug either HDMI, or displayport/ mini into it. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUTTSWA/

one of i'm sure many.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

On 3/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, knightslugger said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUTTSWA/

one of i'm sure many.

uh...I'm looking for something that's basically just the panel and a port a lot more bare bones, no bezel would be best for my application

The Vinyl Decal guy.

That small might be a bit difficult to find.  Personally, I'd probably go to laptopscreen.com and buy a small LCD panel for a smaller size laptop, like the Inspiron 10v, as well as the controller card for it, on eBay, that supports HDMI.  Then you can mount the LCD any way you like, whilst maintaining the thin nature of the LCD, and mount the controller card in a more convenient place.

4 minutes ago, Doramius said:

That small might be a bit difficult to find.  Personally, I'd probably go to laptopscreen.com and buy a small LCD panel for a smaller size laptop, like the Inspiron 10v, as well as the controller card for it, on eBay, that supports HDMI.  Then you can mount the LCD any way you like, whilst maintaining the thin nature of the LCD, and mount the controller card in a more convenient place.

My idea was to mount the controller card in my PSU shroud, and pass through what I need to the display, I've looked at places like Adafruit, but they are all tft displays, so I've been looking for something a bit cheaper don't need anything crazy like a 480p display would be great at 5inches

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Just now, Nicnac said:

check adafruit.com they have a bunch of small displays for DIY projects

u ninja u cheapest set up i've found is about 50-60 bucks for barebones currently

The Vinyl Decal guy.

1 minute ago, MeDownYou said:

My idea was to mount the controller card in my PSU shroud, and pass through what I need to the display, I've looked at places like Adafruit, but they are all tft displays, so I've been looking for something a bit cheaper

I'm not a big fan of TFT's as a traditional display.  That's why I usually recommend laptopscreen.com.  However, you're going to have to do some homework to find the screen you want.  Basically look for a common laptop that has the size screen you want with the desired resolution.  Then find a matching controller card.  On occasion, you might even be able to find touch screen options.  $40-$60 for the LCD is actually quite reasonable in price.  Controller card price will depend on the screen you're looking at, and can range from $10-$40.

27 minutes ago, Doramius said:

I'm not a big fan of TFT's as a traditional display.  That's why I usually recommend laptopscreen.com.  However, you're going to have to do some homework to find the screen you want.  Basically look for a common laptop that has the size screen you want with the desired resolution.  Then find a matching controller card.  On occasion, you might even be able to find touch screen options.  $40-$60 for the LCD is actually quite reasonable in price.  Controller card price will depend on the screen you're looking at, and can range from $10-$40.

Do you think it would be possible to use a phone screen lcd? Since alot of them are about 5 inches or so

The Vinyl Decal guy.

3 hours ago, MeDownYou said:

uh...I'm looking for something that's basically just the panel and a port a lot more bare bones, no bezel would be best for my application

Adafruit has a bunch of those it just depends on the size and resolution you need:

https://www.adafruit.com/categories/506

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Adafruit has a bunch of those it just depends on the size and resolution you need:

https://www.adafruit.com/categories/506

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1928

pretty much what I'm looking for except they are sold out and 60 bucks is a bit pricey I'd say.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

7 hours ago, MeDownYou said:

Do you think it would be possible to use a phone screen lcd? Since alot of them are about 5 inches or so

You could, but it's very involved because of how the iPhone screen works.  You actually need to have a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino board with the appropriate socket.  you can do a search for 'MIPI DSI Shield/HDMI Adapter' and get the parts and instructions you'd need.  I wouldn't recommend it.

I have been looking to do the same thing. I wish someone would make a 5.25 bay monitor which could simply be wired in my case right to PCIe X1 (with their own driver etc.) Probably won't happen, cheaply anyway. What are you looking to display in general? I just want to display temps and usage of things and such so I'm thinking of using a super cheap character display over serial via arduino such as:

http://www.jameco.com/z/HC20216NYU-LYVO-Arndt-20-x-2-Black-And-Yellow-Parallel-LCD-Display-With-Green-Backlight_2155372.html

Otherwise maybe a screen like this (with driver board included) is available somewhere cheaper than Ada? (even though it's TFT):

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Feelworld-5-inch-640x480-TFT-Touch_60488513906.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.CgU2Jn&s=p

Also considering a mini projector inside the case projecting on a translucent panel (rear projection box)

https://www.amazon.com/Artlii-Fun-Projector-Theater-Support/dp/B01N8RBGPH/ref=pd_lpo_229_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=MGJ7R0RBPRYFVVTN00K9&th=1

Excited to see what you end up with :) 

Hey OP take a look at this:

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna

1 hour ago, ky802008 said:

Hey OP take a look at this:

...that is the exact board I've posted above. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

15 hours ago, Doramius said:

@ky802008  You might want to check community standards on your video.

You're right. Sorry.

Code-name Nyx: R7-3800X w/ Scythe Fuma 2 Rev. B | Sapphire RX 5600XT | Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | Patriot Viper 4 Blackout | 3TB NVMe Storage| Cooler Master NR200 | Kubuntu/Windows 11 | Xiaomi Mi Curved 34" | Keebwerk Mega | Logitech G602 | Audio Technica ATH-M40X| Edifier e25 Luna